Delmar's Poll
Display Avatars Sort By:
jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BPL's 78th Thread on TP on 07/15/2014 17:07:38 MDT Print View

Has anyone ever dug a cathole and discovered that someone already used it?

And even if occasionally you discover some remains, just move over a bit?

I have dug a lot of catholes and never noticed any remains.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BPL's 78th Thread on TP on 07/15/2014 17:17:19 MDT Print View

Do the next person a favor.

Mark your spot with a couple of 12" sticks making an 'X', especially if the area is heavily used.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BPL's 78th Thread on TP on 07/15/2014 17:25:03 MDT Print View

But there are sticks all over. How would anyone know whether it's a marked cathole or just random sticks.

If you start digging and discover some remains, no big deal, stop and move over.

This is all based on areas that aren't super heavily used, may be a different story for super heavy use areas or in rocky areas where it doesn't decompose so quickly

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: BPL's 78th Thread on TP on 07/15/2014 18:20:31 MDT Print View

> Mark your spot with a couple of 12" sticks making an 'X',
We (my wife and I) do that anyhow. We can avoid each other that way!

Cheers

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Delmar's Poll on 07/15/2014 18:45:40 MDT Print View

"As far as the TP on the surface goes, that is usually from an animal digging it up."

You ever notice that the paper usually looks clean and is only a few squares? Women who don't use a pee rag are my guess as to where most of that comes from. Not any in this crowd mind you.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Delmar's Poll on 07/15/2014 18:49:31 MDT Print View

Ken, you seem awfully expert on this subject.

--B.G.--

Benjamin Auer
(mankind117) - M
where are east coast people? on 07/16/2014 11:51:13 MDT Print View

I'm surprised the northeast/southeast is not represented more. I live in the DC area and between VA, PA, and WV there are literally several thousand miles of backpacking trails within a 6 hour drive. It is not that hard to go reasonably light in in our conditions. I'll probably never get under a 10 pound base weight though. For example unless it is summer I always bring a fleece and a puffy as I want some warm layer I can wear in rain or damp weather while preserving my puffy for tent/campwear.

Duane Bindschadler
(DLBVenice) - M

Locale: Venice
Delmar's Poll on 07/16/2014 19:14:34 MDT Print View

A few comments:

- Delmar and Roger - thanks for doing this. Interesting to see the results. I was really surprised (maybe I shouldn't have been given the BPL demographic) at the use of tarps and quilts in particular.

I hesitate to revive the TP issue, but...I was just up in the Sierras, at a relatively popular site (not more than about 10 miles from Reds Meadow / Devil's Postpile) last week. We were staying at a relatively heavily used campsite at Lake Ediza, just short of the 10,000 ft. In one spot, not more than 30 feet from my campsite someone had obviously dug a very (too-) shallow cathole that animals had gotten to. There was a scattering of TP fragments for about a 3-5 foot radius (wish i had taken a pic). It had rained a couple times in the past few days, but there were all these little white "flowers" of tp scattered about the ground nonetheless.

I have no idea whether this kind of stuff will survive the winter, but it is quite clear that for the remainder of this summer, that stuff will remain. And (as was mentioned) at the high elevation, dry conditions in the Sierra, this kind of stuff can remain for a long time. In that rocky terrain, it can be difficult to get down far enough to ensure stuff is really buried. So those of you packing your TP out or (like me) who favor Mike Clelland's methods, keep it up and encourage others. Your efforts are appreciated!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Delmar's Poll on 07/16/2014 20:43:47 MDT Print View

"Ken, you seem awfully expert on this subject."

--B.G.--

Sad isn't it?

Touristy day trip hiking trails surround me.

I found it interesting that the majority of people spend similar amounts of time getting to a trailhead.

And no sailor, a trailhead is not a bathroom on the trail.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Delmar's Poll on 07/16/2014 20:50:44 MDT Print View

""Ken, you seem awfully expert on this subject."

Elementary, my dear Watson. Or should I say alimentary?

Edited by ouzel on 07/16/2014 20:51:36 MDT.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Delmar's Poll - GearGrams snooping on 07/17/2014 17:35:03 MDT Print View

If you have non-scientific curiosity about strangers gear lists, from an ambiguous information gathering point of view...

go on GearGrams, I assume you are all familiar with it, and most OCD BPL people already have an account there.

In the search box, type in random semi-relevant keywords:
Water
steripen
condom
gun
tent
rag
bandana
knife
blade
bearvault
FAK
Firstaid
First-Aid
Jerky
REI
bag
shovel (apparently there's a lot of digging)
trowel
weed
Ti
Titanium
snowpeak
ibuprofen
girlfriend (this is funny, a dude listed his gf as an extra 115 lbs)
iphone
blackberry (only 7 people still use it)
tylenol
laptop
music
divacup

Edited by RogerDodger on 07/17/2014 17:39:41 MDT.