Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » First Quilt with a Twist

Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike Nielsen
(geophagous) - F

Locale: Pacific North West
First Quilt with a Twist on 08/27/2007 08:54:30 MDT Print View

So I am going to make my first quilt, but have some questions for my unique take on it.

I am trying to make this as cheap and light as possible.

So I have orderd 2 yards of Momentum 90 and 2 yards of Climashield XP the 5oz/yd stuff.

I always sleep beneath either a tent or homemade tarptent.

Anyone with experience with the 5oz/yd Climashield XP? How well does it drape in a quilt? Should I think about adding a bottom and making it a top bag? What temp do you think the single layer would be good for? The Thru Hiker website states 20 degrees, but others have mentioned that 5oz stuff is likely around 30. I am hoping for 30 without extra clothes.

Other question is since I am only getting 2 yards of Momentum I am planning on using soft structure Tyvek for one side of the quilt and the Momentum for the other. Given the great reports from those here on the waterproofness and breathability of the Momentum I am thinking this would be the best for the outside, while my Tyvek would be fine on the inside. It actually feels fine next to the skin, and I ususally sleep in silkweight thermals to keep the bag clean anyway.

Ray has people use yarn to hold his 2 layers of insulation together. Since I will be using only 1 layer and have heard of people not having a problem with it do I need to worry about it as well? I would prefer not as this would compromise the waterproofness of the outside.

Final question is regarding patterns. I like the Ray Way style, but do not wish to spend the money on his pattern (book). Anyone have patterns (I am thinking Bill F may be a great resource) for synthetic quilts or top bags.

David Wills
(willspower3) - F
Re: First Quilt with a Twist on 08/27/2007 09:42:10 MDT Print View

First off, I would highly recommend not using tyvek in a quilt. The durability vs momentum is far less, and after a few months of field use, you would have tattered tyvek with the rest of your bag being in good shape. The 2.5oz XP is pretty great quilt stuff, and with proper sizing shouldn't need a bottom. Your temp depends on how hot you sleep. if you sleep hot or don't mind cold, you may be able to squeeze 20* out of it or even lower, but most likely 'comfort' would be achieved at about 25-30*. Quilting is a good idea to improve durability, but if that isn't a concern, you don't 'need' to do it. I have a quilt with silk on the inside, which the insulation is quilted to, and momentum on the outside untainted. It is not waterproof, but resists rain contact for about 5-10 minutes if unprotected in a medium rain. Small holes from loops wouldn't make much difference in overall performance. If i had to do it over again, I would add 1.5 oz to the quilt and have momentum to the inside and out, but I am still going to use my 12oz baby until it can be used no more, then make several insulated hats, socks, and mitts from it. Lastly, rays quilts are patterned a bit large. Bill F's pattern is a bit (way) small. For me, 6'2 180lbs, i my best fitting quilt is 52" at the top, 46" at the hip, 35" at the foot, 78" long with a 3D footbox panel 10x30x7", with the 10" end at my toes tapering towards my knees. Hope this helps

Mike Nielsen
(geophagous) - F

Locale: Pacific North West
Good ideas on 08/27/2007 11:32:44 MDT Print View

Thanks for the suggestions. I am 6 and 230, so small sized bags is one reason for the quilt.

I think that I will still use the Tyvek for the inside, and when I get more money replace it with the momentum. I have it lying about, so will use it to save money.

I like the idea of quilting to the inside only. Preserves the exterior a bit.

Thanks for the great suggestions.

Scott Jones
(Ultimate2) - F
First Quilt with a Twist on 08/29/2007 19:54:39 MDT Print View

I would use a two layer. One being of the climashield and a thin top layer of Primaloft for ultimate water resistance.

mark henley
(flash582) - F - M
Re: Re: First Quilt with a Twist on 09/10/2007 07:32:33 MDT Print View

What temp do you get out of your 12 oz quilt?