November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Down Supplier
Display Avatars Sort By:
Derek Booker
Down Supplier on 07/08/2014 13:14:01 MDT Print View

I recently purchased some down from a source I have never heard of called smileyme on amazon. I was curious if anyone has experience with this vendor. After contacting the about the fill power I was informed that it was 800+. It is 100% goose down but I haven't had a chance to try a home test method before I try making a new quilt. Price was about $65 shipped for 1lb. Any thoughts?

Jonathan Chin
(JonRC) - MLife

Locale: Northwoods
Re: Down Supplier on 07/08/2014 13:29:34 MDT Print View

Sounds like a great deal. I know many on here (including myself) have paid quite a bit more for down from DownLinens and other suppliers.

Any interest in testing it's fill power for the rest of us?

Derek Booker
Down Supplier on 07/08/2014 13:47:29 MDT Print View

I am thinking of how to test it. Something along the lines of placing 1 oz of down (800 fill power will fill 800 cubic inches, if I'm understanding correctly, which equates to 3.463 gallons) into a 5 gallon bucket, slightly compress and then see how much it lofts. Around 3.5 gallons ( which sounds wrong--my math may be off) would correlate to the 800+ fill power I was told via email. Probably won't get a chance until tomorrow. Let me know if my calculations are off or a better testing method.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Down Supplier on 07/08/2014 14:06:04 MDT Print View

That's what I get - 800 cubic inches = 3.46 gallons

You're supposed to put a weighted disk on top that compresses it a little. Maybe just a piece of cardboard?

I would think a taller, narrower containers would give a slightly different result than shorter, wider container?

Fluff it up real good before you put disk on top.

Derek Booker
Down Supplier on 07/08/2014 14:29:05 MDT Print View

Alright, wasn't too sure about the volume. Seemed a bit high for 1 oz. I'll post results either later tonight or tomorrow.

Ivo Vanmontfort
(Ivo) - MLife
"side by side comparison" on 07/08/2014 14:46:09 MDT Print View

If you have some other down then, you can planning
a side by side comparison

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Down Supplier on 07/08/2014 17:09:57 MDT Print View

I can't get anywhere near that price for 800 Goose Down. Also 90/10 down/feathers is the best I can get and I use hundreds of pounds of down each month.

Either I'm getting hosed or these claims may not be real.

Derek Booker
Down Supplier on 07/09/2014 22:39:31 MDT Print View

After completing my redneck test the fp only came to 550. I'll still use it but a bit disappointing. Guess you get what you pay for.

John H
(pastyj) - F

Locale: SE US
Re: Down Supplier on 07/10/2014 06:23:28 MDT Print View

>>Guess you get what you pay for.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Re: Down Supplier on 07/10/2014 07:41:58 MDT Print View

Their blog claims their 100% down is 950-1000 fill power for $58 pound. 950 down cost 3 times that from a legit supplier for bulk ordering. I once tried to order 15# of 950 and they could only send 11# because its so hard for them to get. That's the biggest supplier in the USA. I just don't get why companies like this straight out lie about what they are selling. Of course some cottage companies do too sadly.

Peter Boysen
(peterboysen) - MLife
Bummer on 07/10/2014 08:26:18 MDT Print View

Yeah, sounded too good to be true. Make sure to leave a review on Amazon. Hopefully that'll help someone else have a more realistic idea of what to expect from it.

Jordo _99
(jordo_99) - MLife

Locale: Nebraska
Re: Down Supplier on 07/11/2014 07:46:36 MDT Print View

Derek, I just wanted to thank you for biting the bullet and testing this out for us. I'm currently trying to source down for a budget bag for a friend and this was on my radar and your measurements are plenty good enough for me to make an intelligent decision now.

I can calculate a rough volume/dollar ratio to compare this against the $8/oz 850FP down...rather than just guess

Thanks again!

Derek Booker
Down Supplier on 07/11/2014 21:35:11 MDT Print View

Sure thing. It's fairly inexpensive for my first down quilt project so I didn't mind too much about the fill power being less than stated. I'll just have to use more of it to reach my loft goals which will increase the weight a bit. Anything is better then the current bag I'm using.