What gear makes you happy?
Display Avatars Sort By:
M B
(livingontheroad) - M
Happy on 07/07/2014 18:30:06 MDT Print View

"what gear just makes you happy using it?"

Everything down that it really light. Montbell jackets, WM bags, EE quilts.

Mitchell Ebbott
(mebbott) - F - M

Locale: SoCal
Re: Happy on 07/07/2014 18:38:46 MDT Print View

Anything I've made myself, especially if it was from scrap parts. Part of it is the joy of creating, but another part is the lack of guilt from spending more than I should have.

John Reichle
(mammoman) - M

Locale: NE AL
Happy Gear on 07/07/2014 19:33:55 MDT Print View

Gear that makes me happy to use....starts with Blue Head Reposado Tequila :) ALWAYS makes me happy.

Being out and able to use even my crappy gear makes me happy, but things that have become consistent sources of good vibes include my quilts, NeoAir, Hexamid SoloPlus, custom ZimmerBuilt pack, LT4 poles (agree with Tony completely about poles)....good eats from PackIt Gourmet and Hawk Vittles, and especially the companionship of either my wife or my sock-burning hiking partner. And the many cool folks I've met on the trail.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Happy Gear on 07/07/2014 20:32:12 MDT Print View

Both of my quilts.. EE 20* and my MYOG 45* both feel lighter and warmer than they look.

Optimus Crux stove.. the folding feature amuses the crap out of me

Neoair. finally a pad that is light and my bony hips aren't sore the next day

sawyer squeeze. simple, light, works.

John Klinepeter
(johnzotk) - MLife

Locale: Northern Rockies, USA
Happy Feet on 07/07/2014 21:54:51 MDT Print View

I very much like my EE, MLD, Katabatic, GG and all the other cottage gear. Light, efficient, comfortable.

Looking beyond hiking and backpacking, one of the best things I have bought in the last 10 years is a hitch and bike rack for my car. No more removing the wheels to transport the bike. Wonderful!

None of the above stuff comes close to bringing me the happiness that I discovered when I discarded the OEM shoe insoles and switched to using Superfeet Blue insoles. After a walk my feet now feel like feet, not like pummeled aching mashed potatoes. Happy feet, happy walking!

(I have no connection to Superfeet).

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Happy gear on 07/07/2014 23:41:15 MDT Print View

Mostly my hammock, because I know it will help my back while catching up on my sleep. It's also great for just enjoying time at camp in comfort without disappearing under a tent or tarp.

Hammock

Brandon Richards
(ZenDragon) - MLife

Locale: Southern Arizona
Re: Re: What gear makes you happy? on 07/08/2014 09:23:07 MDT Print View

"a mini BIC lighter"

Haha... silly thought popped into my head too. Possibly for different reasons, but nevertheless quite handy. ;)

Daniel D
(Dandru) - M

Locale: Down Under
Re: What gear makes you happy? on 07/08/2014 11:36:06 MDT Print View

Montane Featherlight Smock/Windshirt etc. I use this for walking a cycling, it packs into a tennis ball size, so it fits perfectly in the back pocket of a cycling jersey.

http://www.montane.co.uk/range/men/windproof/featherlite-smock

Montane Prism Jacket. I've got two down jackets but this jacket gets the most use, not overly light or packable but super versatile, especially with the hood.

http://www.montane.co.uk/range/men/insulation/prism-jacket

Sea to Summit Ultra Sil Daypack. This is a multi-purpose item, not only do I use it as a daypack but often as a front pack when carrying a bit more gear or water in platypus bottles, also as a pillow with my day clothes stuffed inside and for washing clothes.

http://www.seatosummit.com.au/products/outdoor/ultra-sil-day-pack/

Tarptent Moment. One peg each end is a winner, just spent 13 night in a rocky environment, often the ground was too hard for pegs so one large rock at either end did the job, otherwise the Easton pegs got the crap beaten out of them.

http://www.tarptent.com/momentdw.html

MomentRockPegs

Edited by Dandru on 07/08/2014 11:59:11 MDT.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
What gear makes you happy? on 07/08/2014 12:15:19 MDT Print View

Maps are my favorite piece of gear and consistently make me happy. They show possibilities, new places to explore and new moments to experience.

http://www.pmags.com/maps-my-favorite-piece-of-gear

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
What gear makes you happy? on 07/08/2014 12:34:22 MDT Print View

A IPOD and mini speakers make me very happy in camp. Jazz, Blues, Electronica and Rock & Roll

JMT 8/12!!!!

Edited by Creachen on 07/08/2014 17:36:12 MDT.

Jonathan Chin
(JonRC) - MLife

Locale: Northwoods
Happy gear on 07/08/2014 16:15:25 MDT Print View

1. Foot powder! At the end of a long day, washing my feet, hitting them with a little foot powder, and putting on a fresh pair of socks just makes the world feel right.

2. Tenkara rod. Enough said.

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
Re: Happy gear on 07/08/2014 16:16:39 MDT Print View

I'm the most happy with a piece of gear when I discover I don't need it at all and can leave it out of my pack at home !!

Billy

M G
(drown) - F - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah
Re: What gear makes you happy? on 07/08/2014 16:19:53 MDT Print View

+1 to maps.

Kerry Wilson
(mntnflyr4fun) - F

Locale: North of Eugene, South of Portland
Happy Gear on 07/08/2014 20:04:43 MDT Print View

+1 to footpowder

Justice Baker
(jkokbaker) - M

Locale: Central Oregon
New Tripod on 07/08/2014 22:54:22 MDT Print View

The piece of gear that makes me happiest is not exactly light. I love my new Gitzo tripod with Really Right Stuff head. It weighs in at close to 3lbs but is half the weight of my previous tripod and is alot nicer, especially the head.

Matthew H
(vision-quest) - F - M

Locale: Portland, Oregon
Re: New Tripod on 07/09/2014 00:25:20 MDT Print View

Which ball head and legs did you go with? I'm trying to find a much lighter weight tripod than I currently have (RRS BH-55 + Manfrotto aluminum legs).

Serge G.
(sgiachetti) - M

Locale: Boulder, CO
nice thread on 07/09/2014 01:03:41 MDT Print View

I got really into buddhism in high school and had some pretty strong (hippyish) ideas that material objects had little to do with happiness. Meditation and Buddhism is still pretty cool to me, but I have some pretty strong associations these days between certain 'things' and happiness, and I mostly embrace it. The obsessive nature of gear nerdery is when it gets to be somewhat negative.

I'm beginning to associate backcountry skiing with happiness, so clicking into my DYNAFIT BINDINGS usually brings some sort of inward smile.

Definitely, UL puffy jackets, because of the instant comfort they bring. They're one of the key things that help me feel more at home in the mountains. I'm not a comfort-monger, but the mountains have their share of cold and its nice to be able to to relax when you you're stopped, weather to slowly take in a summit view or enjoying a conversation during a snack break. Currently, its the ARC'TERYX NUCLEI. Besides being quite warm for the weight, its also very protective in a way that most light puffies aren't.

Not backpacking related, I love my MOUNTAIN HARDWEAR FUID RACE VESTPACK I prefer to go without a vest, but for long and (or) leisurely runs in the mountains, I like to have a shell, camera, food and sometimes a light puffy. It took me trying on and testing a lot of vests to find something I liked this much. The others, I just kept fiddling with straps trying to get a stable fit or messing with how I pack. Through superb fit and simple but effective features, this pack just feels like its made for that job. Besides having to loosen for ascents and tighten for descents, I pretty much don't think about this thing even with a full days kit. Also, I much prefer to use a vestpack like this for day hiking and peak bagging, since it gives you the option to run.

Kate Magill
(lapedestrienne) - F
Re: Re: What gear makes you happy? on 07/09/2014 09:23:29 MDT Print View

"crampons. because when I need them, that means there will be fewer people."

Why no "LIKE" button, BPL?! :-)

Nothing makes me happier than a shiny new map, because it means I'm going someplace I've never been before.

Justice Baker
(jkokbaker) - M

Locale: Central Oregon
Re: Re: New Tripod on 07/09/2014 13:32:25 MDT Print View

The Gitzo GT1542T with RRS BH-30 with screw clamp.

Alexander S
(Cascadicus) - M
Re: What gear makes you happy? on 07/09/2014 14:21:02 MDT Print View

My compass - triangulating my position and strangely enough, my pot cozy.