Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
lightroom vs aperture for a noob
Display Avatars Sort By:
Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: lightroom vs aperture for a noob on 07/08/2014 00:57:26 MDT Print View

They are all either 'closed' programs, cloud-based schemes for extracting a lot of regular payments from you, or orphans. If you look at the cost of the cloud-based programs over the period of a few years, you suddenly realise just how much you are paying - way more than the previous non-cloud version would have cost you!

Yes, Photoshop has a huge learning curve. I am only part-way up it. Most of the time I use PhotoImpact - which I got for free with a scanner in 1998. It does 95% of what I want very easily.

Can I suggest that you should look at GIMP? It is a free OpenSource equivalent to Photoshop, just as powerful, and available on Windows and Mac. The 'free' bit means you can download it, experiment with it for a few weeks, and then decide. There is plenty of support for it on the web.

Cheers

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: lightroom vs aperture for a noob on 07/08/2014 08:06:23 MDT Print View

I'm currently using GIMP on my Mac. It gets the job done.

Doug suggested Pixelmator (Mac ap / not sure about PC) on another thread but I was waiting to make my decision between Aperture and Ligtroom before I made this purchase so have yet to try it. $30ish if memory serves.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
elements, etc. on 07/08/2014 10:11:52 MDT Print View

Despite getting a little Grossed Out (tm) in this thread, I will put forth my opinion that Elements might be just what Jennifer wants. It's hardly a "low end" program, in general and especially in terms of what she (or most other folks) are interested in doing with it. I'd suggest reading some reviews of Lightroom, Elements, etc. and see if they sound like they'll meet your needs.

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
Re: Re: Re: lightroom vs aperture for a noob on 07/08/2014 11:21:45 MDT Print View

You can try Lightroom free for 30 days...not sure about the others. Might as well see if it works for you.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Re: Re: Re: lightroom vs aperture for a noob on 07/08/2014 12:33:45 MDT Print View

You can try elements for 30 days as well. I know it can be purchased for $60 from Amazon and may be available cheaper elsewhere.

Daniel D
(Dandru) - M

Locale: Down Under
Re: lightroom vs aperture for a noob on 07/08/2014 21:51:18 MDT Print View

I've got Lightroom but prefer Adobe Bridge / Camera Raw. Bridge is the file manager for Photoshop, so if you've got Photoshop, just use Bridge / Camera Raw for awhile.

Adam White
(awhite4777) - MLife

Locale: On the switchbacks
Re: Re: lightroom vs aperture for a noob on 07/08/2014 23:31:42 MDT Print View

Okay, to add a little more confusion:

For working with RAW files, you can try RawTherapee. I've been using it to work with my RAW files, since the software that came with my camera won't run on Linux.

There is a bit of a learning curve to it, but I suspect there is with any RAW editing software. That being said, it is probably easier to get help or find tutorials for Elements or Lightroom than RawTherapee.

Lastly, I also use GIMP, and can second that, well, it works great for me.

Now, take all these opinions with a grain of salt, because although I've used the tools mentioned above extensively, I haven't used Elements/Lightroom/Photoshop extensively, so can't make very good comparisons.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: Re: lightroom vs aperture for a noob on 07/09/2014 14:42:20 MDT Print View

You guys are killing me!!!

Yes, Lightroom has the 30 day free trial, and I can buy it outright for $79. I'll play around with it and see if it has what I want.....but now I have too much to think about.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England
GIMP on 07/09/2014 18:50:12 MDT Print View

Adam, how difficult of a learning curve would you say there is to GIMP? Heard it could be more challenging than Elements, Photoshop or Lightroom, though it's a powerful tool.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: lightroom vs aperture for a noob on 07/09/2014 19:45:04 MDT Print View

Jennifer,

OK, going out on a limb here - - -

IF the "photo bug" from the film days refers to the struggle to get well exposed/balanced photos,

IF "blending and layer" means combining images (versus the wide exposure range of High Dynamic Range photography),

IF "exposure on the sky blended with this other pic" also means combining images,

IF RAW is attractive because it gives a lot of control over color temperatures, exposure, burn/dodge, etc.,

THEN Photoshop Elements($60) will get it done easily. It can manipulate your color curves, brightness and contrast, shadows and highlights, transparent layers, dodge and burn, and much, much more.

Other programs Will do all these things and more as well, but if you bought a Sony 'cause you "... have more money than willpower", you should consider the ease of Elements versus the others. If you want to spend more time hiking than post-processing, you should consider the ease of Elements versus the others.

If you work your way through Elements and find it lacking then you can spend the big bucks and the massive amount of time required for the others. And what you learned in Elements will apply to Photoshop or Lightroom.

Apologies if I'm reading too much between the lines.

[.... and, I know nothing about the Mac world, except that there are a gazilllion apps out there, and one might do most of what you need. Define that need, then post a query.]

Edited by greg23 on 07/09/2014 20:23:41 MDT.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Which desktop photo editor is closest to Camera+? on 07/09/2014 21:07:13 MDT Print View

Which of the desktop photo editing programs, Elements, Lightroom or other, is the desktop equivalent of Camera+, an amazingly simple and fast camera app and photo editor available on iPhone: http://campl.us/ In seconds it allows you to take a photo, make it look better with many effects and corp, rotate, etc.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
lightroom on 07/09/2014 21:51:30 MDT Print View

Id start with lightroom. I use it photoshop and gimp. I had gimp before i got the full creative suite. Not bad for free. But 95% of the time I only use lightroom.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

How does Lightroom compare with Elements? on 07/09/2014 22:10:01 MDT Print View

Greg and anyone else that has experience with both, how does Lightroom compare with Elements?

Jennifer I'm very interested in this question too. I have no need for full blown Photoshop and want something easy and quick with intuitive UI.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Re: Re: lightroom vs aperture for a noob on 07/10/2014 11:02:12 MDT Print View

Greg, you actually are pretty spot on in your assumptions!

I used to be a film camera buff - I even had my own BW darkroom! really enjoyed playing around with both the shoot and the development. Then came digital, I got caught up in other stuff and other than still getting great joy from getting a cool shot, I haven't done much with photography since.

Really getting into backpacking again has really rekindled my interest in photography. I'd always used Nikon's version of the Canon G12 series (Mine is a P7000) and it works quite well, but I really missed having more control over things (it really was awful with RAW - way too slow).

So I've got a new Sony RX100 iii on the way to play with the bigger sensor and better lens, as well as be able to shoot RAW and get back into the post-processing side of things. Just not sure where to start on the back end (meaning the processing part).

Ideally I'll make the leap to a true DSLR, but I didn't want to invest THAT much unless I knew I was going to do something with it. This high-end point and shoot should help me decide if the big investment would be worth it.

Jeremy and Angela
(requiem) - F - M

Locale: Northern California
Re: Re: Re: lightroom vs aperture for a noob on 07/10/2014 11:17:09 MDT Print View

I'll cast another vote for Lightroom. A few years back I picked up Aperture 2 and found it quite nice to use. However, ongoing support and development is key and it looks like Apple is not going to be doing that. Both programs provide the key functions I'm looking for: managing a large collection of images and photo-oriented post-processing tools.

DSLR? These days the main reason I'd use one is if there's a specific lens need. I.e. Something faster, wider, or longer than a compact can provide.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Re: Re: lightroom vs aperture for a noob on 07/10/2014 11:44:23 MDT Print View

I have not used Lightroom. But a "Elements versus Lightroom" search turns up a lot of hits.

First Hit

I would venture to say that even if I had experience with Lightroom, it would be only of marginal use to you. The above review is far better than anything I could provide. Especially when I consider how narrow my needs are. (Years ago I did a lot of graphics using both Photoshop and Illustrator. I know how little I would use of Photoshop now.) I see that he has also done a Photoshop versus Elements review. So between the two you would get everything from one perspective.

Far better to do your own reading, looking for the features that are near and dear to you.

Edited by greg23 on 07/10/2014 12:57:00 MDT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: lightroom vs aperture for a noob on 07/10/2014 12:37:30 MDT Print View

As previously mentioned, I'm in a similar boat at the OP with the exception that I don't have a photography background at all and have never worked in a darkroom (well once but I don't think a single experience in Cub Scouts circa 1979 counts).

Now that Aperture is out of the picture (pun intended), the sales pitch that given to me by people who work at a professional or near professional level, is that Lightroom is a great program with good workflow for managing a high volume of pictures that just so happens to have great photo editing capabilities as well that most people find to be more than satisfactory for their needs.

For me, I'm buying Lightroom 5 first and will keep using Gimp until I find that the two are not enough for me. YPMV.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: lightroom vs aperture for a noob on 07/11/2014 08:21:35 MDT Print View

Greg, that was a great link, thanks!

It does seem like LR will be the way to go for me - and I'll try to buy it outright I think rather than pay the subscription (especially since you have to pay for a year upfront...what's the upside there?)

My new camera should arrive today, so I'll be spending my weekend learning how to use it and having some fun with pictures!

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: lightroom vs aperture for a noob on 07/11/2014 08:31:24 MDT Print View

Jen... would be interested in your first impressions of the RX100iii.

not just the photos, but the physical attributes of the camera.
Is the pop-up view finder flimsy and likely to be damaged?
Can it be set to NOT pop up?
Same questions for the pop-up flash.
How is the grip on this small camera?
How do you feel about not having a longer zoom?
Any other observations...

billy

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: lightroom vs aperture for a noob on 07/11/2014 10:53:45 MDT Print View

sure Billy - will do. I've read so much about this one and other similar cameras I'm just ready to start playing with one. I thought about going mirrorless, but I thought this would be a good start before I get into buying lots of lenses.

I really liked my Nikon P7000 - odd size (too big to be UL, but not powerful enough to even compare to DSLR or even the mirror less) - so I'm looking forward to trying out the larger sensor, the wider lens and yes, the viewfinder!