Forum Index » SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » three days, two nights w/ a 24 liter pack?

Display Avatars Sort By:
John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: three days, two nights w/ a 24 liter pack? on 07/07/2014 05:25:39 MDT Print View

It's pushing things a bit, but your thoughts if it seems plausible

Hey Mike. I would not say it is "pushing things a bit" nor that it is not plausible. I have a few hundred nights with a 1000 cubic inch (16 liter) backpack that can handle three days and two nights of food.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Re: 3 day/2 night on 07/07/2014 05:27:45 MDT Print View

What kind of dye did you use? I have some leftover olive, but it is the kind for wool and protein fibers. I read somewhere it will work somewhat with Nylon though.

I don;t particularly like the color either, but Patagonia managed to make the other color option about the only color combo in the universe I dislike even more.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: three days, two nights w/ a 24 liter pack? on 07/07/2014 09:09:10 MDT Print View

John Abela wrote, ". I have a few hundred nights with a 1000 cubic inch (16 liter) backpack that can handle three days and two nights of food."

It all hinges on the conditions and compromises made. For and apples and apples comparison, what is your "16 liter" gear list?

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: 3 day/2 night on 07/07/2014 11:56:24 MDT Print View

I used RIT Dye.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 3 day/2 night on 07/07/2014 12:14:10 MDT Print View

I've got some Jacquard Acid Dye, Olive Brown so pretty much the same class of dye. Did you do the full heat and acid thing?

Think I might try it. I was never one for the super visible logos either. Post a pic of yours, if you can.

Edited by millonas on 07/07/2014 12:18:27 MDT.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 3 day/2 night on 07/07/2014 12:55:30 MDT Print View

I will post a pic when I get home.

But I poured boiling water into a large plastic container. It will float so stir it often.
My guess is the olive brown will give it a lighter brown color.

Really, anything to take the edge off that bright orange! However could see the bright orange being useful as a winter climbing pack.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 3 day/2 night on 07/07/2014 12:56:47 MDT Print View

Check out Ken's instructions here, I originally used them for my Ohm.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=30922

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 3 day/2 night on 07/07/2014 14:18:41 MDT Print View

No acid/vinegar added? How long do you rinse and does the dye fade if you don't use the acid "fixer".

There are a few places I day hike around here where I am in serious danger of getting run over by mountain bikers, but I would just as soon loose the bright orange.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Re: Re: three days, two nights w/ a 24 liter pack? on 07/07/2014 18:00:15 MDT Print View

John Abela wrote, ". I have a few hundred nights with a 1000 cubic inch (16 liter) backpack that can handle three days and two nights of food."

It all hinges on the conditions and compromises made. For and apples and apples comparison, what is your "16 liter" gear list?

wondering minds would like to know :)

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 3 day/2 night on 07/07/2014 21:12:09 MDT Print View

Mark, it usually only takes 10 minutes of rinsing in the shower to get all of the excess out. I haven't had a problem with it bleeding through into clothing.
I've had my ula ohm 2.0 dyed for maybe 1.5 years and it hasn't faded at all.
It really works amazing.

Edited by justin_baker on 07/07/2014 21:12:39 MDT.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 3 day/2 night on 07/07/2014 21:20:07 MDT Print View

Excellent. I give it a try - I try to tweak it down a bit from orange. The dye I have, if you over do it can be dark brown, but maybe not on orange. Thanks for the advice.

So just hot water, no vinegar in there?

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 3 day/2 night on 07/07/2014 21:20:13 MDT Print View

a

The Dye didn't soak into the bottom fabric very well, so it has more of a faded look. Idk if this was my fault or it's because the bottom fabric uses a different fabric, but I personally like the faded look at the bottom.

The key thing is to use boiling water and to put a lid over the container to hold in heat.

edit: nope, i didnt use vinegar. havent heard of that before, is it supposed to help the dying process?

Edited by justin_baker on 07/07/2014 21:21:11 MDT.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 3 day/2 night on 07/07/2014 21:31:34 MDT Print View

Looks nice!

The acid is more or less recommended on wool and the like, or the colors will fade. Perhaps it doesn't matter on nylon, or perhaps it doesn't matter on something that isn't going to get washed much. I'm a total noob at this since I dyed my first thing 2 weeks ago. I'm sure many people on here know but the may not be looking in this thread.

And sorry guys for the hijack. We'll stop now.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: Tokyo, Japan
Re: dyed Ascentionist on 07/08/2014 01:33:21 MDT Print View

Sorry to keep this going but I need to ask, wouldn't the dye adversely affect the PU and DWR coatings on the pack? I don't care for either color either, though the grey/blue scheme is growing on me, and is the primary reason I haven't purchased yet. Keeping my fingers crossed Patagonia offers different colors for Fall season.

rOg w
(rOg_w) - F - M

Locale: rogwilmers.wordpress
deleted on 07/08/2014 04:57:02 MDT Print View

deleted

Edited by rOg_w on 07/08/2014 18:26:23 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: dyed Ascentionist on 07/08/2014 07:27:26 MDT Print View

The dye does not effect the PU coating.. Don't know about DWR. I don't look at a pack to be waterproof, so I hadn't noticed. I did my Ohm years ago. Still looking good. Would do it again, oh wait, I did.

I don't see why not Mike. People were pulling weekend trips with their Ions.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Ion on 07/08/2014 18:15:47 MDT Print View

Ken- yeah I was one of them :), just appears that the different shape might influence how much gear can be stowed (the bladder is going to occupy some of the room too)- might just have to bite the bullet and see

Mike

photo benefitsofgoinglight.jpg

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Montane Dragon 20l on 07/22/2014 20:56:53 MDT Print View

I had a chance to handle a Rev 24 at Prolitegear in Bozeman, I think it would do the trick. They also mentioned a new pack from Montane- the Dragon 20l. I like the looks of this pack, very Ion like- only w/ a running style harness. Also two 20 oz bottles up front that would eliminate the need for a bladder. They said they would be getting more in soon so I can look at one in person.

photo zoom_dragon_20_black_front_black_zpsb92ad56b.jpg

photo zoom_dragon_20_black_back_black_zpsace5b5dd.jpg

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: three days, two nights w/ a 24 liter pack? on 08/04/2014 13:52:25 MDT Print View

what is your "16 liter" gear list?

@Mike & @Dale,

My apologies for not responding sooner... BPL email notifications are not what they use to be.

http://yogiing.com/8886 presents the core pack system that I tend to use during the summer months here in NorCal.

As was said, comparing apples to oranges is important. Temps range from 65°(f) in the day to 55°(f) at night. Very stable weather conditions where I live, which is why I have stayed living/hiking here.

Obviously, a few things added/removed here-or-there depending upon the hike but that gearlist gives the core of gear I use. Sometimes more, sometimes less. You know how it goes.

At the volume of the pack (,000ci/16l) the limiting factor for me is how much food can be stuffed into it. Typically three days, four if I feel like skimping.

I should note that I got the Sorensen CQ (Cup Quilt) about mid-way through this years hiking season. Before that I used another custom made quilt, which I swapped out for the CQ because its just so dang neat.

I threw together a video earlier this year that shows a much larger gear setup, but it might give an insight into things. In it I actually use a hip belt system to gain another 240 or so cubic inches, which was necessary for that trip. Nothing special about the video, and its not all that good of quality, but its out there to view if you want too.

Again, sorry for the slow response. I did not get emails about new comments and I only noticed the new comments by happenchance.

Thanks guys.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Montane on 08/23/2014 17:15:49 MDT Print View

I picked up a Montane Dragon 20l the other day and am happy to report that I can fit a 2-3 day kit in it w/o too much problem. I haven't picked up a waterproof bivy yet, but loaded the pack w/ my Cricket tarp and superlight bivy- once I get the bivy (having a hard time shelling 400 bones for a bivy!) it'll save a little more room and 5-6 oz.

The Dragon is laid out nicely, the front harness carries the two water bottles (which are Steripen friendly), has a zipped pouch that will be just right for a map & compass, steripen and my camera, two additional stretch pockets that I can load up w/ blocks, bars and electrolytes. Also has a pretty slick setup for carry trekking poles. The rear of the pack has a nice bungee cord setup for rain jacket and windshirt. Beneath it is a pretty large zippered pouch- it's not waterproof, so I have small cuben dry bag that will hold my first aid kit, headlamp, toiletries, tp and various other little sundries

the main compartment is just one large one w/ a nice rolltop- if the material isn't waterproof, it appears very (very) water resistant