Forum Index » Gear Swap » FS: Smartwool Men's Briefs (Size M) x2

Display Avatars Sort By:
Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
FS: Smartwool Men's Briefs (Size M) x2 on 06/30/2014 13:25:55 MDT Print View

SOLD!

Edited by mdilthey on 07/16/2014 09:01:52 MDT.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Cowabunga on 07/01/2014 05:54:57 MDT Print View

These are great ultralight, stink-free briefs.

Eat my shorts, man!

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Locale: Allways on the move
Re: Cowabunga on 07/01/2014 06:55:58 MDT Print View

They seem like really nice briefs, good luck with the sale!!

Edited by mikmik on 07/01/2014 07:42:42 MDT.

Kelly Kading
(K.Kading) - M

Locale: Dallas
Re: Re: Cowabunga on 07/01/2014 07:17:08 MDT Print View

Awesome.

Edited by K.Kading on 07/01/2014 08:29:54 MDT.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Whatever Floats your Boat on 07/01/2014 07:17:12 MDT Print View

Edit: Thanks for removing the negative comments :)

Re: cleanliness-

Everyone buys thermal bottoms, and sleeping bags (naked sleepers) and a host of other things on here without thinking about it. Hats seem just as "bad" to me. Shoot, I know older fellas who melt the paint off of their bicycle tubing with the sweat on their nose, and you're buying tight-fitting baselayers from them!

Point being, soap does what it's supposed to. If used clothing scares you, that's fine, but it doesn't frighten everyone.

If you're showering regularly and you clean an already antimicrobial fabric with hot water and detergent, then I think that it's silly to think these aren't fit for use.

Someone's gonna snatch these up. Merino wool briefs are A++ for backpacking.

Edited by mdilthey on 07/01/2014 08:17:18 MDT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Whatever Floats your Boat on 07/01/2014 08:24:59 MDT Print View

"Edit: Thanks for removing the negative comments :)"

Yeah because ordinarily used underwear just sell themselves.

"Next on the auction block... 'Only used once baby wipes!' Come and get 'em folks! Only used on one side! Other side in like-new condition!"

Free bump.

You're welcome.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Brought It On Myself on 07/01/2014 08:38:31 MDT Print View

I saw in my email "New post from IDBLOOM" and almost audibly groaned. I should have seen this coming...

;D

Also, nobody is laughing at my "package deal" joke...

Edited by mdilthey on 07/01/2014 08:39:13 MDT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Brought It On Myself on 07/01/2014 08:48:25 MDT Print View

"Also, nobody is laughing at my "package deal" joke..."

Well played sir; can't believe I missed that one. I blame lack of coffee.

Hamish McHamish
(El_Canyon) - M

Locale: USA
_ on 07/01/2014 10:48:00 MDT Print View

I'm glad the ridiculous nature of this sale was pointed out. Can't believe you are seriously trying to sell used briefs. It's simply stupid, but then perhaps the market will teach you what your parents did not. I suppose we can all learn from an example of what not to do.

_

Then again, Max, maybe you will make the sale if you USE ALL CAPS, which is a special tactic I hear you reserve for rare situations.

Oh, and free thread bump. You're welcome.

Peter S
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
Get real Max on 07/01/2014 11:50:52 MDT Print View

Nothing wrong with selling used underwear, but the price is too high for sure.

1. It's used underwear....

2. Merino underwear generally has a bad track record in regards to how long they will last. Sure they are luxurious to wear, but who knows when the first hole will appear...

Don't try to rip off your online hiking pals, pal ;-)

Free bump...

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

This is annoying. on 07/01/2014 12:23:48 MDT Print View

People calling me out for "not learning from my parents" is incredibly inappropriate.

People saying "Why don't you use all caps?" is ridiculous because I'm not doing that anywhere.

People calling me out for ripping off my hiking partners because Merino gets holes when you don't care for it is simply wrong. Here's a link to a 2-year review of one pair of Merino briefs from a bike tourist, who uses it in a leather bike saddle:

http://www.pedalingnowhere.com/gear/bike-touring-gear-list-the-small-stuff/#.U7L7-1ZY-2w

10,000 kilometers with no holes. He's still using them in Africa as we speak.

People upset about the price can take it or leave it. It's 38% under the SALE price.

Seriously, guys, I'm patrolling Gear Swap every other day to leave helpful comments for people whenever I see a piece of gear I like. With the exception of someone scamming for gift certificates, I try never to call out anyone's sale. It's just unhelpful.

If you don't want to buy these, don't bother posting...

Edited by mdilthey on 07/01/2014 12:24:26 MDT.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Also, relax about the cleanliness, seriously. on 07/01/2014 12:26:40 MDT Print View

Everyone in here going out of their way to whine and complain should be selling their used socks, baselayers, sleeping bags, hats, and goggles as we speak, on principle. You guys are so dramatic...

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Full disclosure Max on 07/01/2014 12:38:46 MDT Print View

Ok we all know about the issues with wool and static electricity.

Anything you wish to disclose here Sparky?

(note to self, "watch" this thread as $%!+ is about to get real)

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

I can only be honest. on 07/01/2014 12:42:11 MDT Print View

These are incredibly static. Simply putting them on will send a big enough jolt to your nethers that you'll float a few inches above any cloth seating for a week.

*grabs popcorn*

Hamish McHamish
(El_Canyon) - M

_ on 07/01/2014 13:11:57 MDT Print View

Max, the community is calling you out for your ridiculous post, yet you keep justifying. When you're explaining, you're not winning. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

"People calling me out for "not learning from my parents" is incredibly inappropriate."

Says the guy selling used underwear on the internet.

"People saying "Why don't you use all caps?" is ridiculous because I'm not doing that anywhere."

I was referring to the thread where you exclaimed "I don't caps often, but when I caps, it's important."

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/75486/index.html?skip_to_post=645423

So I figured if you REALLY want to get this USED UNDERWEAR sold you might try revising the post to ALL CAPS. <-- [please note that the period used to end that sentence is CAPITALIZED, however the font used by your browser may not render this properly.]

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Used Underwear Blues on 07/01/2014 13:27:53 MDT Print View

I can only imagine that my smartassery has hurt Max's chances of selling his nasty woolen banana hammocks so it's only fair that I write a limerick in his honor.

So here it goes...

(ahem)

There once was a young man from Mass.
He preferred wool to cover his ass.
He never did thunk
His nether regions would smell like a skunk
Resulting from toxic mixture of wool and Mountain House gas.

I'll admit the tempo needs some work.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Ouch on 07/01/2014 13:32:31 MDT Print View

Ian, your poem's meter is burning holes in my Bachelor of Communications diploma. Good thing it's virtually useless.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: _ on 07/01/2014 13:33:32 MDT Print View

"Says the guy selling used underwear on the internet."

goddamn. really? Max isn't justifying, he's right. There's little difference in selling used underwear than there is selling used compression shorts (often worn without underwear) or tights (often worn without underwear) etc., and i don't see people whining when folks put those up on gear swap.

Get over your overly sensitive self, will ya! Are you still afraid of cooties or something? Are you 11? Not everyone sees the world the way you do, and not everyone is ridiculously concerned with buying used briefs. It's been done here before.

If you don't want it, fine, don't buy it! But I've never quite understood why people feel the need to then shit on someone's gear swap post.

It's your post that is ridiculous and unnecessary.

Hamish McHamish
(El_Canyon) - M

_ on 07/01/2014 13:39:14 MDT Print View

I dunno Ian, our smartassery might well be the very thing that gets Max's scrungy skivvies sold! Oh man it's amazing that this hasn't been moved to Chaff yet.

"There is only one thing worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about." -- Oscar Wilde

Amirite?!

_

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: _ on 07/01/2014 13:39:21 MDT Print View

There once was a man from DC
There were times when he wasn't all that PC
Make fun of Max's undies
Doug will get a case of the Mondays
And you'll find your arse swinging from a tree in some place that rhymes with DC.