Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » 4 ingredients or less lazy freezer bag cooking

Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Dried meats on 07/01/2014 18:15:01 MDT Print View

There are all sorts of sausage types, too numerous to mention here.

Summer sausage tends to be made of beef and/or pork, and as its name implies, it seems to last longer despite summer warmth.

I'm a big fan of turkey sausage, but that it just me.

To a certain extent, it is the salt and other preservatives that allow sausage to last without spoilage. That may not be good for you. As a result, I take small sausages and cut them up to be simmered along with my rice. Then I avoid adding extra salt to the rice.

--B.G.--

christopher smead
(hamsterfish) - MLife

Locale: hamsterfish
Gobble gobble on 07/01/2014 18:23:18 MDT Print View

Turkey sausage sounds good. What's your favorite type/brand?

I'm always on the hunt for good dry sausages.
Only found a few I like so far, including the kountry boy stuff they sell on the pack it gourmet site.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Gobble gobble on 07/01/2014 18:30:46 MDT Print View

Old Wisconsin is one brand. They make both turkey sausage and beef/pork sausage. From the time that I purchase these in the store, I keep them refrigerated. Then when I take them on a trip, I've never had any that seemed to be spoiled.

--B.G.--

Rick .
(overheadview) - F

Locale: NYC
Couscous and soup mix on 07/01/2014 20:47:31 MDT Print View

I routinely make a 2-ingredient bag dinner:

Couscous (Bobs Red Mill Golden couscous seems to be the best, directions on bag say add boiling water and let stand). I use 6oz
Soup mix. I go for the Wylers / Mrs. Grass brand. 12oz bag, I use 4 or 6oz.

About $1 a serving and weigh out 2 things and bag simplicity. It actually tastes really good.

Edit: the major benefit of couscous is that it has like 25 grams of protein per cup with pretty good calorie density. Hard to beat that protein density, and a nice thing to add to your trail muscles after a long day.

Edited by overheadview on 07/01/2014 20:49:53 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
My List on 07/01/2014 22:58:05 MDT Print View

http://www.trailcooking.com/recipe-home/ Scan down to "FBC" and there you go. And yes, kids, don't be a food snob on the trail ;-) Save that for at home..LOL!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: 4 ingredients or less lazy freezer bag cooking on 07/01/2014 22:59:59 MDT Print View

And while these might be more than 4 ingredients, it is well worth it:
http://www.trailcooking.com/fbc/thai-style-peanut-noodles/
http://www.trailcooking.com/fbc/shrimp-sesame-noodles/
http://www.trailcooking.com/fbc/pizza-pot/

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: 4 ingredients or less lazy freezer bag cooking on 07/01/2014 23:57:39 MDT Print View

"pizza-pot"

Damn you, Sarah. Now you've gone and flung another food craving on me.

I've just undergone months of therapy to get past the Cran-Mac recipe.

--B.G.--

christopher smead
(hamsterfish) - MLife

Gobble and pad Thai on 07/02/2014 00:04:02 MDT Print View

Cool, going to order some Old Wisconsin turkey sticks to try. Haven't seen it in any stores around here....

Btw I just tried peanut butter in oriental flavored ramen!!! Awesome!!
Wife thought it was disgusting....but I chomped it all down and loved every last bite.
Definitely bringing that on my next trip, maybe with dehydrated chicken added, and maybe one of those pizza chili pepper packets....

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Gobble and pad Thai on 07/02/2014 00:15:34 MDT Print View

Christopher, if you ever get out to the wilderness known as Silicon Valley, you can find Old Wisconsin, but it is hit or miss. I never see it in mainstream supermarkets, but I do see it in stores such as Big Lots, Target, Walmart, etc.

--B.G.--

christopher smead
(hamsterfish) - MLife

Good to know! on 07/02/2014 00:38:55 MDT Print View

I actually live in south San Jose, so I'll look for it at target soon. Thanks Bob!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: 4 ingredients or less lazy freezer bag cooking on 07/02/2014 09:01:09 MDT Print View

The Cran-Mac bars are basically sugar crack ;-)

Rob Reynolds
(rfreynol) - MLife
Jerky on 07/05/2014 21:29:39 MDT Print View

On the subject of jerky, I find most commercial brands way to sweet so I usually order some from one of the many smaller speciality shops. Just hit google. That said, I recently discovered Dukes Meats out of Denver. Excellent jerky and beef sticks and I've been seeing it in more and more stores around the country when I travel for work. Website is Dukesmeats.com.