Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Aerogel
Display Avatars Sort By:
Steve Smith
(bardsandwarriors) - F

Locale: Wales
Aerogel on 08/24/2007 07:31:44 MDT Print View

This magic material, which is about 3 times the density of air and is super-insulating, is used in NASA space suits. It has been around for decades but has recently become cheaper and more useful.

Has anyone tried working with it, or manufacturing with it? It strikes me as perfect for ultralighting. You might get a 32F quilt for barely more than the weight of the fabric.

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
DIY Aerogel on 08/24/2007 07:55:21 MDT Print View

POE is using it in their sleeping mats. However, word has it that the material is prone to flaking if handled roughly, so it needs to be protected (which POE does by encapsulating it). Because of this, I suspect it's use is outside the realm of DIY.

However, it's merits have been touted a lot, and yes a quilt could be wonderful. The one drawback is that it's not too compressible (if it's compressible at all). So, you're talking about taking on a pretty hefty volume penalty for said quilt.

Steve Smith
(bardsandwarriors) - F

Locale: Wales
Roll-up or fold up on 08/24/2007 09:01:01 MDT Print View

Good point Joshua. I think a quilt might roll or fold up like a thin mat, but it would be very, very light.

Edited by bardsandwarriors on 08/24/2007 09:02:37 MDT.

Jon Rhoderick
(hotrhoddudeguy) - F - M

Locale: New England
Re: Aerogel on 08/24/2007 17:16:29 MDT Print View

There was a debate I think about "8000 meter" worthy boots in the mountaineering section that brought up the debate of Aerogel. Definatly a great idea for pads and insoles, I bet you could make a 3/4 pad that weight about 10 OZ for winter use if you figured how to work it