Forum Index » GEAR » What is everyone's favorite UL solo, three-season shelter?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Owen McMurrey
(OwenM) - F - M

Locale: SE US
Re: My system on 06/25/2014 13:05:51 MDT Print View

Joe-"Bear Paw wilderness bug bivy. If needed I will set up my MLD cuben Patrol Shelter. IT's a simple system, packs down small, weighs just about a pound and it leaves me many options for sleeping out anywhere I need. It sets up and packs away in seconds which I LOVE."

That Patrol Shelter with a bivy is something I've been considering for awhile. Maybe if I wear out the TT Notch some day.
I like the Notch, and intend to get at least a couple more years out of it, though. Does everything I want, and the weight's not a big issue, so there's no real reason for me to ditch it. ~27oz total with the innernet and a couple extra stakes, ~20 with the fly and a cuben Solo floor from ZPacks.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
3 or 4 Season> Tarptent Moment DW on 06/25/2014 13:38:18 MDT Print View

I like my Tarptent Moment DW for 4 season backpacking.

3 Season-> base tent with ripstop inner ( I may get the mesh inner later)
I can use only the fly & poly ground sheet if I just want a tarp.

4 Season-> I add the crossing pole but I shortened it 5 3/4" and ran it INSIDE the fly for much more support. As with the external X-ing pole setup the tent is now freestanding.

The additional 4 fly hem stake loops and prepared side and end guy-out cords help this tent withstand a lot of wind.
The Moment design is inherently very aerodynamic which also helps a lot.

EDIT: As Eric said below, the TT Notch is very nice. The Notch is essentially a TT Moment DW using your hiking poles instead of an arch pole, which reduces weight.
^
^
^
^

Edited by Danepacker on 06/27/2014 14:08:24 MDT.

Eric Osburn
(osb40000) - MLife
TT Notch on 06/25/2014 13:41:48 MDT Print View

I really like my tarptent notch but for someone large I would recommend stepping up to a larger shelter. I'm 5'6" and fit well but can't imagine being much taller or larger and being comfortable.

Joshua A
(Aberrix) - M
YMG Cirriform on 06/25/2014 14:20:39 MDT Print View

I'm 6'4" 190lbs and since I sleep on my stomach, sometimes put an arm over my head and point out my toes I'm a bit longer than that even, plus I use a pillow and the loft of my sleeping bag, etc. etc. solution: I had Gen over at Yama Mountain Gear extend the standard Cirriform SW 1P from 89" (7' 5") to 102" (8' 6") and he did so at a very reasonable price. The end result is the first tent I've ever fit in comfortable without rubbing the walls in, total weight 22.75oz.

Edited by Aberrix on 06/25/2014 14:21:25 MDT.

Peter S
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
For now on 06/25/2014 14:58:23 MDT Print View

It's the cuben MLD Patrol Shelter.

If I wanted more protection, I would go with the MLD solomid xl. Next up would be a HMG Ultamid 2. I have tried the Duomid. Pitched tight to the ground, lying on a NeoAir mattress, with a Lofty quilt, it was to short for me. I'm 185 cm.

Yama Mountain Gear shelters looks nice too for tall people.

Edited by prse on 06/25/2014 15:11:59 MDT.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: What is everyone's favorite UL solo, three-season shelter? on 06/25/2014 15:14:57 MDT Print View

VQ:

Here's a recent video of the Duplex in a heavy rain storm on the A.T. (no connection to this person, just a blog I've followed sporadically). I don't know how tall he is, but you can get a good feel for the shelter. Just my opinion, but, for the PNW, I think I'd take the hit on weight for the extra room of the Duplex over the Solplex, especially at your height.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXvz2xCb3Do&list=UUiqcdUZJG6qRqCaqfD60wjg

Mountain Shop usually has a few SMD shelters, but I'm not sure if they would have updated ones or if they would set them up. SMD is located off 217 in Beaverton and have been very accommodating to me in the past to come to both their old location (Ron's house) and their new one to pick up a few things. They might be able to show you a Skyscape or a cuben Deschutes tarp.

I've been trying to come up with one shelter system that is my go-to, that I know will work for varied PNW conditions and I've settled on a DuoMid and inner net (which I still need to buy). I'm in Portland if you want to meet up at a park and set up the DuoMid to see if the dimensions will work for you. I don't have an inner net for it yet.

Matthew H
(vision-quest) - F - M

Locale: Portland, Oregon
Re: Re: What is everyone's favorite UL solo, three-season shelter? on 06/25/2014 17:44:22 MDT Print View

Thanks a lot everyone, you've all been extremely helpful. Shame about what people are saying in regards to my height and the Duomid w/ net. I was pretty set on that but it seems I have to explore some other options to consider now.

Steven, I have some extensive traveling/visiting back home in Australia before I'll be back in Portland for good in January. I would definitely love to come check out the Duomid if you still have it then. Thanks a lot for the offer!

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
What is everyone's favorite UL solo, three-season shelter? on 06/25/2014 17:45:47 MDT Print View

"I really like my tarptent notch but for someone large I would recommend stepping up to a larger shelter. I'm 5'6" and fit well but can't imagine being much taller or larger and being comfortable"

Comfort is obviously subjective but when it comes to tall people the issue often is not so much "comfort" but just being able to fit inside, particularly IF using a thick mat and or a wintersleeping bag .
The Notch can take a 77"x25" mat so it can't be all that small .
This is me at 5'8" on top of a 2.5" ( 7cm ) mat.
Notch inside
I have more than a foot of space to spare , note also the space above my head and my feet.
BTW, the Notch fly-only is about 16oz with 4 stakes (I use 6)

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ on 06/25/2014 20:50:53 MDT Print View

And it's less $$ than some of the other options mentioned. OP, you should check out the TT web site and also see the different setup options on YouT*be. It is very integrated but can be used as bug net only or tarp only. I'm gonna finally break down and buy one. Had my eye on it for several years. Wish they'd make it in Cuben to save some oz's but then it'd break the bank to buy one I guess. Anyway, horses for courses. Rock on.

Matthew H
(vision-quest) - F - M

Re: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ on 06/25/2014 21:06:03 MDT Print View

Yeah the Notch looks great, but it's a little too heavy for me. I already have a Tarptent (Stratospire 2), so I need to drop a little more weight to make it worth another shelter.

Another option is the ZPacks Solo Plus tent with extended beak and cuben ground sheet (or Solo Plus tarp and another companies net). This way again I have a separate tarp/and net for added flexibility, it's a little lighter. Not a huge amount of info on this kind of setup though.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
height/length and Duomid on 06/25/2014 21:33:36 MDT Print View

I'm 6' and length hasn't been an issue (even when side by side w/ my wife and using the inner net), mine is sil- maybe the cuben is cut shorter?????

Matthew H
(vision-quest) - F - M

Hexamid on 06/25/2014 22:16:58 MDT Print View

This is very tempting.. except I'd go with the Solo plus tarp.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=84915

I think this or the Duomid or Solomid XL + net are the top contenders. I really like the Duplex but I already have a proper 2 man tent, and I'd rather drop a bit of footprint.

A couple of the bivies mentioned look great but up here in the PNW where it rains a lot I don't want to be stuck inside a tiny bivy for hours.

Edited by vision-quest on 06/25/2014 22:21:19 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: height/length and Duomid on 06/25/2014 22:44:10 MDT Print View

"maybe the cuben is cut shorter?????" Nope.

What pad do you sleep on Mike? Makes a huge difference. As does shoe size, really.

The Duomid without inner was doable. With the Solomid XL it's better.

K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
Ultamid on 06/25/2014 23:33:32 MDT Print View

I'm using a HMG Ultamid for all purpose 1-2 person 3 season, a hexamid solo plus tarp with beak for long distance solo, or a zpacks 8.5x10 tarp with a MLD cuben bug bivy. But to answer you question, a flat tarp can't be beat in my mind for versatility, hanging out in heavy rain, cooking and can be pitched anywhere, literally. It's all a game time decision based on weather.

Edited by KalebC on 06/25/2014 23:42:42 MDT.

Joe Annese
(dirtbaghiker) - M
Re: Hexamid on 06/26/2014 04:01:22 MDT Print View

Hence why I bring the MLD Patrol Shelter. If it rains I just pitch that..simple, light, plenty of room and ventilation.

Matthew H
(vision-quest) - F - M

Skyscape X on 06/26/2014 06:18:27 MDT Print View

Has anyone here used the Skyscape X?

There isn't a huge amount of information around about this tent. I have read from one or two places it is great in the wind/rain, and that it can handle snow well.. but I'd love to hear from a few more people to confirm that rather than take the word of one or two people.

It seems to be the perfect shelter if what they are saying is true. 16oz + stakes. 3+ season use, 2 walls (less condensation), nice size, smaller footprint than the Duomid which I'm heavily considering.. and more weatherproof than the Hexamid Solo Plus tarp + net which is my other top option.

Any personal experiences people have here would be highly appreciated!

Edited by vision-quest on 06/26/2014 06:19:13 MDT.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Re: height/length and Duomid on 06/26/2014 06:57:28 MDT Print View

Ken- regular neoair, size 10 shoe size- maybe I'm not 6' tall :)

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: height/length and Duomid on 06/26/2014 07:28:23 MDT Print View

The thickness of the Neoair does eat up a lot of the available length. Especially when pegged to the ground for heavy weather. I was in trouble on a large Neo and size 15 feet had me always touching one end.

stephen billings
(stephenb) - MLife

Locale: oregon
Golite Hut 1 on 06/26/2014 13:05:46 MDT Print View

Unfortunately this will not help you out, because you cannot get these any more ( unless 2nd hand).

But I use a Golite Hut 1 sil nylon shelter with a light weight either bug or regular bivy depending on conditions. It is a ton of space for one ( 39 square feet) and offers real good protection. I love this shelter for its weight and size. I had a Golite SL 1 and a 2, and like this Hut 1 much better for solo use. It could easily fit 2 in a pinch.

Can handle 3 season (probably 4 really ) PNW weather easily.

It weighs 16 oz as it comes from Golite ( w/o stakes)- but I have it done to less than 14 oz. after takes off their hvy nylon pull strap stake loops and replacing them with adjustable light cord.

Edited by stephenb on 06/26/2014 13:07:13 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Skyscape X on 06/26/2014 17:19:14 MDT Print View

"Any personal experiences people have here would be highly appreciated!"

I'm going into my third Sierra season with the original, one entrance model, and can say with confidence that it is a superb 3 season tent for any area that does not get a lot of precipitation. It is easy to pitch, withstands torrential downpours and wind well, and packs down into a very small package. The only real negative that hasn't been addressed with the newer model is condensation. You will get it on the single skin panel that runs down the top of the tent from the cross strut to the foot of the tent. However, that is easily addressed with a bandana or other water absorbent material. I can't speak to how it stands up to snow, but I suspect it would sag, as the panels are very large compared to the number of tie out points. If I were expecting to encounter significant snow, I would add tie out loops to both front and rear panels on both sides at their midpoints to effectively subdivide the panels for loading purposes. Since the newer model has 2 zippered entrances and places the support poles outside the body of the tent, I can see no real areas for improvement if you buy a new one.