Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Trekking pole extender

Display Avatars Sort By:
Madeline T
(madscot13) - F
Trekking pole extender on 06/22/2014 10:08:18 MDT Print View

Could somebody kindly suggest a material to use for a trekking pole extender for my tarptent double rainbow? thanks

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Trekking pole extender on 06/22/2014 12:32:19 MDT Print View

cut a section of pvc pipe or aluminum tubing

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
pole extender on 06/22/2014 12:55:07 MDT Print View

depends on how far you want to extend.
Ive used a rock for a couple inches quite a few times

When setting up a large mid, I didnt like the pole extenders, it wasnt particularly stable. Two poles lashed together with rubber straps worked better IMO.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: pole extender on 06/22/2014 14:41:00 MDT Print View

I don't use trekking poles, but I use some thin carbon fiber poles for my shelter. I needed to extend them by an inch or two for some weather situations, and a short piece of aluminum tubing worked well. I used epoxy to fasten a screw onto the bottom with the dull end facing into the dirt. This serves as a stabilizing stake to keep the tubing from moving around on the dirt.

--B.G.--

Madeline T
(madscot13) - F
more specs? on 06/22/2014 16:01:21 MDT Print View

Is there a certain diameter of Al tubing that is optimal?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: more specs? on 06/22/2014 16:21:25 MDT Print View

I think you just want any kind of strong tubing that fits firmly on the pointy end of your trekking pole.

If you are making something short, then the strength of the tubing material isn't a big deal, but as you head toward something longer and longer, the strength will become more of an issue. Some backpacking shops will sell a metal ferrule that is used to split a broken tent pole. You can use one of those, but they are only about three inches long.

I needed to jack up a pole one time, but I needed it to go only a half-inch. I found a plastic toothpaste cap that worked perfectly, except that it was green, so it kept getting lost on the ground. I painted it with glow-in-the-dark paint, and then I know right where it is.

--B.G.--

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Trekking pole extender on 06/22/2014 16:35:42 MDT Print View

I made some from a curtain rail.
Took my trekking pole to the hardware shop to see which size rail fitted into my pole tip.
I then used a hack saw to cut the wanted section of it.
The ones TT sells are made from stronger Easton aluminium but mine were about twice as long.
pole extension
BTW, this is the intended use :
DR Freestanding ext
so it does not need to be as strong as the extensions made to hold up a fly.

Edited by Franco on 06/22/2014 18:59:54 MDT.