Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » First MYOG project

Display Avatars Sort By:
Chase Fairly
(chasefairly) - F

Locale: Texas
First MYOG project on 06/19/2014 19:28:50 MDT Print View

Hey guys, in a couple weeks I'll be leaving on my first thru hike.

I already had a siltarp that I've been using for a couple summers but wanted to make a tarp after watching you guys' threads about all your awesome gear.

I decided to go with the Ray Way kit since I had no clue how to sew. I knew I would need some detailed instructions.
Its huge, especially compared to my siltarp. I feel as if I could fit 3 if not a cramped 4 under the shelter.
Final weight, seam sealed with guy lines: 16.7.

I was a little disappointed in the weight but I can't do anything about it now. I was hoping it would be a couple few oz lighter.

If I had close up photos you pro sewers would see all my mistakes but its super tough, just not that pretty.
I now have great appreciation for all the work these take. Especially the cottage companies who are working their tales off to get them perfect. I can't imagine the precision it would take.
Tarp Photo 1Tarp photo 2

THANKS FOR ALL THE INSPIRATION

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: First MYOG project on 06/19/2014 19:34:18 MDT Print View

Way to tackle the intimidation, Chase!

Great looking tarp that you'll no doubt love on your thru. The beaks are way nice.

What trail are you going to hike?

Chase Fairly
(chasefairly) - F

Locale: Texas
Re: Todd on 06/19/2014 23:16:15 MDT Print View

Thanks Todd

A friend and I are starting the Colorado Trail on July 14th, we're super stoked!

Edited by chasefairly on 06/19/2014 23:16:52 MDT.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: Todd on 06/20/2014 05:41:26 MDT Print View

Looks good! Although the weight is more than you would like, I bet you'll enjoy all that coverage when a nasty storm strikes.

Ryan