Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Scouts on Mount Langley
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Scouts on Mount Langley on 06/18/2014 23:48:14 MDT Print View

On Monday, I had backpacked east over New Army Pass. For reference, this is out of Sequoia National Park and into the Cottonwood Lakes area, and this is ten or fifteen miles south of Mount Whitney along the Sierra Nevada Crest. At the end of the afternoon, I really needed to camp at this one lake. There was a bunch of five 14-15 year old scouts with two adult leaders camped at the same lake. Their plan was to wake up early on Tuesday, eat, and start hiking by 7 a.m. They could make it over the pass and up to bag Mount Langley (14,042', very respectable), then return safely to camp by evening. I had a quick discussion with the two leaders, and they knew what they were doing.

I slept that night, then woke up at 5 a.m. to start watching the scout entertainment. I ate and then loaded up to leave. At 7:05 a.m., I was walking past the scout camp. The two leaders were standing around, and there were no teens visible at all, so they hadn't even started breakfast. That seemed like typical teens, scouts or not.

--B.G.--