Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
pictures! hooray!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Colleen Clemens
(tarbubble) - F

Locale: dirtville, CA
pictures! hooray! on 08/21/2007 15:05:21 MDT Print View

pictures of my two-person quilt and the quilt i sewed for my 5-year-old.

my pretty pics

Edited by tarbubble on 08/31/2007 10:26:32 MDT.

george carr
(hammer-one) - F

Locale: Walking With The Son
Re: pictures! hooray! on 08/21/2007 15:13:51 MDT Print View

Very cool! I like the kid's quilt. Nice job!

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Locale: Washington State
Re: pictures! hooray! on 08/21/2007 17:42:07 MDT Print View

WAY cool Colleen! Beautiful work!

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Impressed! on 08/21/2007 19:09:09 MDT Print View

Colleen

I hope your family knows how lucky they are! Very neat, pro job.

Todd

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Very nice on 08/21/2007 19:42:09 MDT Print View

Now I just need to find a woman that can do that for me.

Edited by simplespirit on 08/21/2007 19:42:54 MDT.

Colleen Clemens
(tarbubble) - F

Re: pictures! hooray! on 08/22/2007 09:38:43 MDT Print View

thank you all for the positive reinforcement.

the next big thing is the new family tent, which will be a knockoff of Titanium Goat's tents. i just have to decide if i'm making it out of good ol' silnylon, or if i'm going to take the brave step of using spinnaker. oh, and i have to move before i do it. i can't sew a tent that size on my dining room table with two wild monkeys running around me all day!

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: "pictures! hooray!" on 08/22/2007 20:18:58 MDT Print View

Colleen,

That is superb workmanship!
Keep up the good work!

I am contemplating a down vest project. I was wondering how you "managed" the down, both how you contained it and how you measured the amount to put in each baffle?

Your insites will be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Colleen Clemens
(tarbubble) - F

Re: Re: "pictures! hooray!" on 08/23/2007 09:50:04 MDT Print View

thank you very kindly.

down management has not been difficult for me - i haven't needed to put up a tent or create a sealed chamber. the down from thru-hiker arrived mildly compressed in airtight plastic bags. i opened the bags and transferred the down into 13-gallon kitchen trash bags, the kind with drawstring closures. when the time came to use the down, i just set the bag down on the floor next to my table and opened the bag just enough for my hand to get in.

measuring the down was a little tricky for me, as my scale only shows 100ths of an ounce in fives, but for the thru-hiker patterns (i'm assuming you're considering a thru-hiker kit) AYCE notes the exact amount of fill recommended for each chamber. so it might say "0.17 oz" but i'm only able to measure 0.15 or 0.2 on my scale. i just did the best i could and paid close attention to when the scale clicked up to the next increment, then added or subtracted tiny amounts as i judged best. if i overfilled by 0.01 ounces, i'm not too upset. ;)

hope that helps. if you do order from AYCE, he provides excellent customer support through both his message board and over the phone.