Montbell Down Hugger 900 #2 Sleeping Bag Review
Display Avatars Sort By:
Maia
(maia) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Montbell Down Hugger 900 #2 Sleeping Bag Review on 06/10/2014 22:10:25 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Montbell Down Hugger 900 #2 Sleeping Bag Review

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
Re: Montbell Down Hugger 900 #2 Sleeping Bag Review on 06/10/2014 22:40:20 MDT Print View

Article states that the Zpacks bag does not have a zipper baffle, but it does indeed have one.

billy

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
Re: Re: Montbell Down Hugger 900 #2 Sleeping Bag Review on 06/10/2014 22:53:13 MDT Print View

correction, the Zpacks zipper baffle is an option at time of ordering..

billy

carlos fernandez rivas
(pitagorin) - MLife

Locale: Galicia -Spain
phd hoodless bags ??? on 06/11/2014 01:30:07 MDT Print View

""""The hoodless PHD Minim 400 will be available soon with 900 EU (936 US) fill-power down."""

"""Both the PHD and ZPacks bags are hoodless, """""

I dinĀ“t notice that phd had hodless bags in his range.... thank you for the info ;-)

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/phd_minim_400_sleeping_bag_review.html#.U5gEWHaJnFY

Maybe including "loft" measures in the comparison chart would be interesting ...

Edited by pitagorin on 06/11/2014 01:32:51 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Montbell Down Hugger 900 #2 Sleeping Bag Review on 06/11/2014 07:11:52 MDT Print View

Glad to see Will has not lost his touch. Excellent review.

J C
(Joomy) - M
hoodless? on 06/11/2014 23:40:11 MDT Print View

PHD are making a hoodless bag? How bizarre.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Montbell Down Hugger 900 #2 Sleeping Bag Review on 06/12/2014 17:53:59 MDT Print View

It's the beard that does it, sticking out of the opening ...

Cheers

John Harper
(johnnyh88) - M

Locale: The SouthWest
Re: Montbell Down Hugger 900 #2 Sleeping Bag Review on 06/12/2014 18:21:53 MDT Print View

Good looking sleeping bag.

12 oz of down seems a little low for a 24 oz bag weight. The down shifting makes me think it is barely enough down to fill the bag.

Andy Jarman
(AndyJarman) - M

Locale: Edge of the World
Baffle construction on 06/13/2014 00:24:02 MDT Print View

I've always wondered, are the baffles through-stitched or do they use box-construction with a divider between the inner and outer fabric? The stitching looks very pronounced for box construction.

Gary Pikovsky
(gosha007) - F - M

Locale: New Hampshire White Mountains
Enlightened Equipment?? on 06/15/2014 09:50:08 MDT Print View

Will and BPL,

I'm very surprised to find that you omitted what is arguably the best and lightest sleeping bag of the bunch - Enlightened Equipment's Enigma Pro. I own the Enigma, Zpacks and Montbell bags and can without a doubt say the EE and Zpacks are easily at the top of the list for warmth comfort and weight. EE bags inches to the top, however - fantastic design a super compressible. I would like to see more attention being paid to cottage makers on this site as they have by far the best gear for what a lot of people on BPL are looking for.

I think many others will agree with me on the above. There is no hood, but that's where a light down/synthetic hat can serve a double purpose for hiking, camp and sleeping.

Gary

Will Rietveld
(WilliWabbit) - MLife

Locale: Southwest Colorado
Re: Enlightened Equipment?? on 06/17/2014 18:48:02 MDT Print View

Hi Gary, Sorry for the delay in responding, I have been in MT for a week. I did check Enlightened Equipment, and Katabatic Gear too, and all I found was QUILTS. I didn't think it would be appropriate to compare mummy bags with quilts, so I kept the comparison to comparable products. Perhaps the hoodless bags should have been left out. Some of the bags are made by cottage industries. Will

kevperro .
(kevperro) - F

Locale: Washington State
Bags vs. Quilts on 06/20/2014 22:44:13 MDT Print View

I think keeping them in separate categories is important. People who know they like quilts will shop for quilts and those of us who know we want a bag/hood want to see them compared apples to apples.