Forum Index » GEAR » AGG's Caldera Kitchen

Display Avatars Sort By:
Sharon Bingham
(cowboisgirl) - F - MLife

Locale: Southwest
AGG's Caldera Kitchen on 08/20/2007 22:49:37 MDT Print View

Has anyone bought/used one of the kitchens?

If so, which one, and did you like it?

I'm thinking of getting one, but I've never used any of the components - i.e. never used a caldera cone, an alcohol stove, or a pot cozy - so I could really use some experience advice/opinions.

I'm new to backpacking in general. The plan that I'm currently finding the most appealing is to do freezer-bag style cooking (with a cozy for the freezer bag). Given this approach, it seems like the pot cozy and 4 cup screw lid storage container cozy aren't really going to do much for me - unless I just want to keep excess water or hot drinks warm (which now I think about it, wouldn't be so bad...).

Also, I'll usually be cooking for two, and so really wanted to go for a larger pot - say the FireLite SUL-1100 for example - so that I could have enough water for dinner AND hot drinks all at once. But there doesn't appear to be a kitchen put together for a pot that large...

Is there anything I'm missing/not thinking of? Any thoughts/comments are welcome!

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Caldera on 08/21/2007 01:00:29 MDT Print View

Sharon:

Read this very recent thread:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/9148/index.html

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Re: Caldera on 08/21/2007 07:57:43 MDT Print View

"http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/9148/index.html"

Yup, basically, the 'Caldera Kitchen™' is NOT the Caldera Cone™ Stoves. The 'Caldera Kitchen' is a set of accessories that AGG has put together for certain sizes of Caldera Cones, there are some geometry limitations, so it is unlikely that one will ever be made for the FL 1100, however there is a Cone for the FL1100 (and you could gather your own accessories as you will...

Sharon Bingham

Caldera Kitchen compatible pots... on 08/21/2007 08:07:01 MDT Print View

Ben, thanks for the link.

I read the post, and it did have some good information. I particularly appreciated the comment about the Caldera Kitchen mostly being a convenient way to package and store the Caldera Cone system. I hadn't really quite thought of it that way. I had thought of it as getting a kind of "package deal" on the Caldera Cone, a pot and some accessories (and I believe you do end up saving some money, though I have not actually verified that).

And I may consider just purchasing a cone instead (minus the accessories that the Kitchen adds).

But I was more interested in what people thought of the pots that the Kitchen IS available for. For example, several weeks ago, I posted a thread comparing various Titanium pots. Not having had much experience with what I should be comparing, I went with looking at how much volume a pot had compared to how much it weighed. Lots of people replied and pointed out that there were other things to consider - like volume markings on the pot, etc.

So basically, all things being equal, I was hoping for advice on which pots people like to buy Caldera Systems for (and why). I apologize for the confusion - I think I was a little confused myself last night...lol... ;-)

Jeff Boone
(jnboone) - MLife
Which pot? on 08/21/2007 16:12:25 MDT Print View

I am also looking at the cone/kitchen. It sounds awesome, but I think I have a little more reading to do. That being said, I think it would be hard to argue (that's a bold statement on this site!) with the Evernew 1.3L for two people. Great pot, great size, and has the stove/kitchen options available for it.

Mark Hurd
(markhurd) - M

Locale: South Texas
Evernew 1.3 and Caldera Cone on 08/21/2007 21:17:45 MDT Print View

Jeff,

I agree. I love my Evernew 1.3, Handles attached with insulation on them so you can actually pick up the pot, mL marking on the side, pour spout (or at least depression) on the side to pour, lid is fine (not a tight fit but snug enough), insulated handle on lid so you can lift it. Wide bottom for better heat transfer. Great for 2 but will work for 4 if needed.

I have a Caldera Cone on order for it, so I'll see how it works with the Evernew 1.3.

- Mark

Sam .
(samurai) - F

Locale: NEPA
Re:Which pot? on 08/21/2007 21:31:21 MDT Print View

Jeff,
I haven't seen a Caldera Kitchen option for the Evernew 1.3 L. Where did you see that?

I do have the Caldera Cone for the 1.3 though, and I can tell you it's a heck of a system/stove/whatever...it cooks!

I haven't seen anybody mention it on this site or others, but the UL BakePacker fits my 1.3 L pot perfectly. I haven't had a chance to bake for the crowd yet, but what a combination! Caldera Cone, Ti pot, BakePacker...Wow! I added a pot cozy and a neoprene cozy cover and still have a fairly light group cooking system.

Disclaimer! The above described system is not meant to fall into the SUL catagory. But, there's a ton of good food in ounces of gear here;)

Edited by samurai on 08/21/2007 21:39:43 MDT.

Sharon Bingham

White Box stove VS Caldera Cone system on 08/21/2007 21:36:36 MDT Print View

Anyone know how the White Box stove compares with the Caldera Cone systems?

Seems like most people favor the Caldera Cone system for stability. Any other advantages?

The White Box stove is just so tempting due to price and weight...

Sam .
(samurai) - F

Re: Evernew 1.3 Liter on 08/21/2007 21:37:58 MDT Print View

Mark,
When you get your Caldera Cone for the 1.3 liter pot, you can write off the silicone handles. No great loss, but they are about to be history. They slide around too much anyway, but the heat from the cone is going make them curl up and go away. They won't make a mess or anything.. they simply start to go away a little at a time.

Just FYI.

Richard Nelridge
(naturephoto1) - M

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania
Evernew 1.3 L Ti Pot on 08/21/2007 21:39:35 MDT Print View

Hi Sam,

As far as I know, at present, there is only a Caldera Cone stove and an AGG cozy available for the Evernew 1.3L Ti Pot (no Kitchen).

Rich

Sam .
(samurai) - F

Re: White Box stove VS Caldera Cone system on 08/21/2007 21:51:23 MDT Print View

Sharon,
The White Box Stove works great with any of the larger diameter pots like the Evernew 1.3. It would be comparing apples to oranges though (IMHO). The Whitebox Stove is great but higher in fiddle factor and fuel consumption. That being said it's a fine stove combined with the right windscreen (comes with BTW). Bill makes a fine product!

The Caldera Cone is just plain, dumb, simple. It works fast...it works consistently. Sips fuel. A dab does it every time (half ounce for 12 ounces boiled). The cone has my vote and I have both.

Sam

Edited by samurai on 08/21/2007 21:55:22 MDT.

Sharon Bingham

Evernew 1.3L Pot on 08/27/2007 12:13:51 MDT Print View

So, just to clarify, when you all mention the Evernew 1.3L pot, you're referring to the Ultralight version? As opposed to, say, the nonstick 1.3L pot that comes in their non-stick Titanium set?

And will the Caldera Cone for the Evernew 1.3L work for EITHER version of the pot? Or only for the Ultralite?

Edited by cowboisgirl on 08/27/2007 12:14:44 MDT.

Rand Lindsly
(randlindsly) - MLife

Locale: Yosemite
Caldera and the Evernew 1.3 connundrum on 08/27/2007 14:01:18 MDT Print View

Sharon:

To follow up on this thread for other folks benefit ....with the information I sent you privately...I personally own both versions of the Evernew 1.3 and they both fit just fine in the production Caldera Cone. If you find you have a mismatch, let me know and we'll make it right.

Sam:

The Caldera Cone is just plain, GENIUS simple!

Rand :-)

George Andrews
(tinman) - F

Locale: Coastal NC
Re: Caldera Kitchen compatible pots... on 08/27/2007 16:03:03 MDT Print View

Sharon,
Just a bit of a reply that may help. First, the 1.3 is one of my 2 favorite Titanium pots and I am sure you will be happy if that is your selection. The other being the Evernew .9L. Joshua (in another post) is absolutly right about the Kitchen just being a convenient packaging method. It is nothing more and nothing less. I am amazed and very flattered that some call it nifty. It just works for me on the trail. There are some other ingenious methods that hikers have come up with to handle the Calder cone packability that are posted on the FAQs at TrailDesigns.com.

The only thing the Kitchen does is combine the AGG Pot Cozy, a 4 cup screw-lid container w/ cozy and a specifically sized silnylon bag to hold it all together. All done to enhance the Caldera Cone. A large part of the fun of all this for me is finding or making accessory and alternative components that work and make sense on the trail.

So far, I have made Kitchens for the AGG 3 Cup Pot, the Evernew .9L, the BPL 500 ml. These 3 allow the 4 cup Zip Container lid to screw on. You don't need a cozy for the 4 cup container but if you carry the container to protect your cone you are missing a great piece of gear if you don't carry a cozy too. You can easily make your own. The 4cup zip w/ cozy was the big surprise gear find for me because it's great for freezer bag style cooking and holds my usual morning 2.5 cups of coffee/cocoa mix. :)

I have also "Kitchened-up" the Evernew/Vargo 1.3L, the MSR .85L and the BPL 550ml/Brasslite 600ml. the lid of the zip container will NOT screw on with the cone in place for these cones but the lid perfectly fits over the large end of the cone to protect that edge. I then place the cone/container/lid assembly upside down in the 1.3L pot and all in a silnylon bag to hold it securely in the pack. The size of the bag is important but you can also make one yourself in short order. There are also several configurations that make sense to me for the BPL550 depending on how you intend to cook on the trail. There just has not been enough time to get pictures up on the web site but I will eventually have them detailed there.

One unexpected bit of info about the Evernew 1.3 (uncoated) Ultralight with the handles - it's .2 oz lighter WITH the handles than the Vargo coated withOUT the handles. The Vargo does have a nice pour-strainer feature and I think the extra 2/10 oz is worth it if you can get around not having handles and using a glove or camptowel. Both pots are made by Evernew.
Happy trails,
George

Richard Nelridge
(naturephoto1) - M

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania
Re: Caldera Kitchen compatible pots... on 08/27/2007 16:41:41 MDT Print View

"I have also "Kitchened-up" the Evernew/Vargo 1.3L, the MSR .85L and the BPL 550ml/Brasslite 600ml. the lid of the zip container will NOT screw on with the cone in place for these cones but the lid perfectly fits over the large end of the cone to protect that edge. I then place the cone/container/lid assembly upside down in the 1.3L pot and all in a silnylon bag to hold it securely in the pack. The size of the bag is important but you can also make one yourself in short order. There are also several configurations that make sense to me for the BPL550 depending on how you intend to cook on the trail. There just has not been enough time to get pictures up on the web site but I will eventually have them detailed there."

And a great job you did "Kitchenizing" my BPL FireLite 550 system. Thanks again George. I still have to do my burn tests for the Pot and the Caldera Cone. I may opt to carry the pot separately as you have suggested so that I can carry the 4 cup Zip Lock screw topped container with the 4 cup cozy when I have enough room in the pack. When space is more of a premium, I may opt to carry the FireLite 550 Cozy instead.

Rich

Edited by naturephoto1 on 08/27/2007 16:43:11 MDT.

Sharon Bingham

Options, Options... The Vargo takes on the Evernew on 08/27/2007 17:30:18 MDT Print View

Wow, George, thank you for that informative post. Despite myself I never cease to be amazed when the minds behind of some of the gear/resources/books discussed on this forum show up. ;-)

So, for that Vargo pot then - is the straining feature on lid tricky to use with no handles on the pot? I'm trying to imagine how one would maintain a decent grip on the pot while also holding the lid in place for straining...

Do you use a pot gripper? Can you use gloves?

I guess I was leaning toward the Evernew Non-Stick Titanium set because there are instances where I can see the larger 1.9L pot in the set, and the frying-pans-under-cover-as-lids coming in handy when car camping (especially for cooking real pasta/rice, or for any sort of frying). It's kind of a nice bonus that I get a good 2-person lightweight pot for use with the caldera cone out of it as well...

I HAVE been dubious about the handles on the Evernew though, as from what I've read, they generally melt(?) off with use with the Caldera Cone. And the straining lid on the Vargo would be just as nice for pasta, or for allowing non-instant rice to cook nicely. But the Vargo just doesn't seem to come in a size ample enough for cooking pasta for two...

I think I'd really like to have the Evernew set with a lid from a Vargo. And maybe just remove the handles on the Evernews.

Jason Smith
(JasonS) - MLife

Locale: Northeast
Caldera Cone and Evernew Handles on 08/27/2007 18:42:51 MDT Print View

I am a big fan of the insulated handles on the evernew .9, and have not have problems with handles and the caldera stove.

I have recently switched to the ti-tri and am going to try to coat those handels as well with silicon from smooth-on.

Sam .
(samurai) - F

Re:Caldera and the Evernew 1.3 connundrum on 08/27/2007 20:28:14 MDT Print View

>"Sam:

The Caldera Cone is just plain, GENIUS simple!

Rand :-)"

We have Rand. We have Tinman. Good crowd!

I think some people are critical of the Caldera Cone systems just because it takes some of the challenge/skill out of using an alcohol stove. That being said, these things just plain get the job done. They don't have a huge weight penalty and still have a pretty decent Wow factor. I've cooked on everything in the last 40 some odd years of camping, and just like to keep it flat out simple these days. The Caldera Cone fills my needs very well.

Jason, on my Evernew 1.3 the cover on the handles curl back a little more every time I use it. I don't care, the handles are too hot to grab bare-handed anyway. I'm surprised yours doesn't. Have you used it much yet?

Edited by samurai on 08/27/2007 21:21:35 MDT.

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Re: Re:Caldera and the Evernew 1.3 connundrum on 08/27/2007 20:47:50 MDT Print View

"I think some people are critical of the Caldera Cone systems just because it takes some of the challenge/skill out of using an alcohol stove. That being said, these things just plain get the job done. They don't have a huge weight penalty and still have a pretty decent Wow factor."

Yup, it just works... BRILLIANT!

George Andrews
(tinman) - F

Locale: Coastal NC
Re: Options, Options... The Vargo takes on the Evernew on 08/28/2007 09:24:57 MDT Print View

Sharon,
The handles don't actually melt off, just the rubberized/silicon coating on them.

Gloves or/and a camp towel will work for the pot using the strainer but a pot gripper is easier. Which brings you back to the best combo would be the Evernew pot w/ handles and the Vargo lid. Sorry I am not familiar with the set but the 1.3 is an adequate size for 2 people if you can only have one pot. If you get the set then that gives you more options like you said. My evernew 1.3 does not have removable handles.

You should borrow a 1.3 if you can to try it for size if you haven't already. It will hold a lot of food. Then again, the way I cook should definately NOT be used as an example of 'how to do it'. :)
George