Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Good trails around Portland, OR and River Gorge?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Krause
(rmkrause)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Good trails around Portland, OR and River Gorge? on 08/20/2007 22:03:26 MDT Print View

I'm going up to Portland, OR soon and was wondering what was everybody's favorite day hikes? We'll be in the river gorge/hood river for a few days too so wondering what everybody likes up there too.

John Carter
(jcarter1)

Portland, OR on 08/21/2007 00:41:10 MDT Print View

My personal favorite dayhike this time of year is McNeil point from Top Spur trailhead. My Avatar picture was taken from McNeil shelter. In front you can make out Mt. Adams, Mt. Rainier, and Mt. St. Helens. About 100 yards to the left is a 3000ft drop off the side of Mt. Hood. Some of the most spectacular wildflower displays are up in that apline zone, and the huckleberries are ripe by the acre on the route up (as of last weekend).

You should check out www.portlandhikers.com for excellent trip reports. They also have a new field guide with detailed hike descriptions and marked topo maps. I recently posted some photos of my last trip up there at portlandhikers.com.

Edited by jcarter1 on 08/21/2007 00:47:34 MDT.

Ryan Krause
(rmkrause)

Awesome! on 08/21/2007 23:17:58 MDT Print View

Thanks, that website is a great resource!! :)