Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
New Zimmerbuilt Pack
Display Avatars Sort By:
Edward Jursek
(nedjursek@gmail.com) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
New Zimmerbuilt Pack on 06/03/2014 18:12:35 MDT Print View

Ah, Christmas in June . . .Here is a preview of my new Zimmerbuilt Pack. I started off slowly with Zimmerbuilt products, first ordering a Summit Sack a couple of years ago and then scoring a Quickstep on the Gear Swap Forum this winter. I was impressed by the quality and attention to detail and intrigued by the ability to customize. I also saw that the forums were full of praise for Chris's workmanship, quality, and customer service. I looked hard at doing a Zpacks Zero and adding some things, but the Zimmerbuilt stuff is a bit beefier and the workmanship is amazing, so it won out in the end.

This pack, which I nick named "The Big Step" is essentially a scaled up Quickstep. The idea was to keep it clean, simple and light. I set a goal weight of 14oz and had a pretty simple feature set in mind: 3.3oz hybrid cuben fabric, a simple web belt, sternum strap, roll top, minimal cordage layout, simple external pad holder, with a main volume of 2400 -2500 cu in and a 3 pocket layout like the Quickstep, that adds 400 more cu in. The pockets are trimmed in dyneema, which is same material as the padded shoulder straps.

Looking at the specs and the pictures Chris just sent me, I think he nailed it. Final weight is 14oz and it looks to have everything I wanted and nothing I did not want. I expect the fit to be great. I am set for a week long hike later this June and will likely take this on the trip.

Chris's customer service has been top notch and the turn around time was about 2 weeks.View #1View #2View #3View #4View #5View #6View #7View #8

Edited by nedjursek@gmail.com on 06/03/2014 18:14:23 MDT.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

re: New Zimmerbuilt Pack on 06/03/2014 18:22:15 MDT Print View

Very nice!

Edward Jursek

New Zimmerbuilt Pack on 06/07/2014 12:12:11 MDT Print View

Thanks Steve! The pack arrived yesterday and I have taken for a spin twice. Fits great. Volume is larger then I expected, which is a plus. Weight on my cheap digital scale was 14.35oz before I trim some straps. Chris does great work. I am thrilled with the pack.

Edited by nedjursek@gmail.com on 06/07/2014 12:13:18 MDT.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: New Zimmerbuilt Pack on 06/07/2014 15:03:48 MDT Print View

You are gonna enjoy that pack!

Knowing what you like, and having it rigged up to your specifications can't help but yield good results.

Edward Jursek

New Zimmerbuilt Pack on 07/01/2014 22:57:50 MDT Print View

Recently took my new Zimmerbuilt on a week long trip in the Wenaha-Tucannon Wilderness. My total starting pack weight was about 18 pounds (base weight+consumables). The pack went through rain, bushwhacking on unmaintained trails, some rough terrain, and handled it with ease. Best fitting and most comfortable pack I have carried. Got exactly the layout I wanted from Chris and his construction is top notch.

Adam Kilpatrick
(oysters) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
Re: New Zimmerbuilt Pack on 12/08/2014 02:30:18 MST Print View

Hi Edward

that really looks like a great little pack!

How did the pad attachment system turn out for you?

Cheers,

Adam

christopher smead
(hamsterfish) - MLife

Locale: hamsterfish
Pad attachment on 12/08/2014 20:15:44 MST Print View

Definitely would like to hear about the pad attachment as well.
I'm considering ordering another zimmer pack with something like that for my gossamer gear pad.

Edward Jursek

Zimmerbuilt Pack on 12/08/2014 20:18:36 MST Print View

Adam & Christopher,

The pad attachment has worked great. I use a Gossamer Gear Nightlight torso sleeping pad with mine. The pad is used as a frame sheet/sit pad/back-up for my NeoAir so it is pretty important that the feature works for me. The attachment is just a tough elastic shock cord and a cord lock, so it added almost no weight at all. So far seems plenty durable. It is similar to the Zpacks "Sleeping Pad Shock Cord" option for their packs. Chris could have done a pad sleeve, but it would have added weight and I was pushing to keep the pack at 14oz.

Edited by nedjursek@gmail.com on 12/08/2014 20:20:43 MST.

christopher smead
(hamsterfish) - MLife

Awesome! on 12/08/2014 20:49:34 MST Print View

Do you have to adjust it periodically when hiking? Or is it staying in place pretty good?

christopher smead
(hamsterfish) - MLife

Also on 12/08/2014 20:51:12 MST Print View

Does the pad tend to collect a lot of dirt that way?
I'm 90% sold on it...just venting my concerns. ;)

Edward Jursek

Zimmerbuilt Pack on 12/08/2014 21:08:01 MST Print View

Not really when it is in stowed mode. That has never been a problem for me, either with this pack of the GG Murmur, G4 or Mariposa packs I have used with the sit pad/sleeve combo. The back of any pack will pick up dirt. Of course when I use it as a sit pad for lunch or a nap it does. The GG Nightlight seems easy to dust/brush off as do cut down Zrests.

No adjustment issues. Chris uses a pretty beefy shock cord and cord locks. I have had up to 18 pounds in the pack and the pad has stayed put.

Edited by nedjursek@gmail.com on 12/08/2014 21:09:25 MST.