Locale: Maroon Bells
couscous for dinner on 08/18/2007 15:31:36 MDT Print View

Does anyone have any good dinner recipies using couscous that I can use
for freezer bag cooking? I would really
like something Turkish.

Bill B
(bill123) - MLife
Couscous on 08/18/2007 15:56:52 MDT Print View

This isn't really what your looking for, but Mary Jane's Farm "Organic Wild Forest Mushroom Couscous" is excellent & you don't have to "cook" anything.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Might have a couple soon.... on 08/18/2007 17:22:29 MDT Print View

Hey David.....I am working on it. Bugging my friend Dicentra for ideas and feedback. I have a good one not on the website that has garbonzo beans in it. It is pretty good!

Btw, I tried to email you back and it didn't like your email address :-(

When I get my ideas ready, how about I post them here for you? :-)

Edited by sarbar on 08/18/2007 17:27:29 MDT.

Russell Swanson
(rswanson) - F

Locale: Midatlantic
Curried Chicken Cranberry Couscous on 08/22/2007 14:27:44 MDT Print View

Here's one I've come up with, partially adapted from Sarbar's recipes and partially from an ethnic cookbook:

Curried Chicken Cranberry Couscous
At home, in quart freezer bag mix:
3/4 cup couscous
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 tbsp dried onion flakes
1/2 tsp dried parsely
1 1/2 tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt

In camp add:
1 packet chicken (6oz)
1 1/4 cup boiling water

Let sit 8 min, then add:
1/4 cup walnuts
2 tbsp olive oil

Stir, serves 2.

I played with the seasoning a bit since I tend to like it a bit spicer. You could cut the curry seasoning back if you want a milder taste.

Edited by rswanson on 08/22/2007 14:29:01 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Curried Chicken Cranberry Couscous on 08/22/2007 15:08:19 MDT Print View

That is an awesome recipe!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Couscous for lunch maybe.... on 08/22/2007 15:10:41 MDT Print View

Indian Pitas:

In a quart freezer bag put:
3/4 cup couscous
1/4 cup craisins
1/4 cup diced dried apricots
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 Tbsp homemade low sodium bullion (or 1 tsp commercial low sodium)
1 tsp dried onion

Also take:
2 large pitas
2 ounces swiss cheese (or favorite cheese)
1 Tbsp olive oil

Add 1 1/4 cups boiling water and the oil to the couscous. Stir well, and let sit for 5 minutes. (Does not need a cozy unless you want to eat it hot in the pitas). When ready, cut the pitas in half, add in a 1/4 of the cheese to each pocket, and fill with couscous.
Serves 2.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Some more... on 08/22/2007 15:14:08 MDT Print View

Blue Mountain Couscous:

In a quart freezer bag put:

2/3 cup couscous
2 Tbsp dried chives
1 - 2 tsp curry powder (or more)
1 Tbsp homemade low sodium bouillon (or 1 tsp commercial low sodium)
1 tsp granulated garlic
6 sun dried tomatoes, diced (not packed in oil)
Handful of unsalted pistachios or pine nuts, chopped

In camp, pour in one cup of boiling water. Mix well and let sit for 10 minutes in a cozy.

Serves 1.

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Russell's recipe on 08/22/2007 20:13:12 MDT Print View

I just made Russell's curried chicken curry recipe above, and it's great! I'm swapping out one of my mashed potato dinners for next week's trip and tucking this in instead. I needed to add a bit more water than it called for, and I toned down the curry, because I'm a spice wimp.

David Noll
(dpnoll) - MLife

Locale: Maroon Bells
russells recipe on 08/24/2007 08:02:59 MDT Print View

Your recipe looks great. My wife and I both like spicy. I will
probably try it on a BWCA next month.

nick lidakis
(nyc_paramedic) - F
Re: Curried Chicken Cranberry Couscous on 09/05/2007 17:27:16 MDT Print View

Russell, I really like your recipe but where does one get chicken in a pouch? I've looked all over!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Re: Curried Chicken Cranberry Couscous on 09/05/2007 19:29:34 MDT Print View

Nick, if you have Target or Walmart that sells food, take a look. The pouched chicken is sold with the tuna and canned meats.
If you can't find them, a 5 ounce can works well, and if you get the "natural" types (just water or stock added) you can use the liquid in the can in the recipe.

nick lidakis
(nyc_paramedic) - F
Re: Re: Re: Curried Chicken Cranberry Couscous on 09/15/2007 12:17:21 MDT Print View

Thanks Sara. I'll take a look at target. No Walmart near where I live. Wanted to use foil ouches instead of cans for packing ability regarding bear canisters and the tins are heavier than foil.

nick lidakis
(nyc_paramedic) - F
Cheap and easy lentil with couscouc and curry for last minute trips. on 09/15/2007 12:43:52 MDT Print View

Came across this as a wonderful meal when you need to take a very last minute trip out and don't have time to put together meals yourself. Each container cost me $1.69.

I was in a health food store in Manhattan the other day and came across Health Valley's Lentil w/ Couscous Soup. Comes packaged in a paper cup with peel off paper lid. You add water to within half inch of the top of the container and let it sit for five to seven minutes. Container is bigger than the standard soup in a cup I've seen in supermarkets; yields 12-14 ounces of soup. Net weight is 2.65 ounces.

Ingredients listed: couscous (100% semolina), lentils, dehydrated vegetables (tomatoes, onions, garlic, carrots, spinach), sea salt, curry powder, vinegar powder, chili peppers, parsley, ginger, white pepper, jalapeƱo pepper, cayenne pepper.

Nutritional Facts: serving size is 1/3; 2 servings per container.

Total Fat (saturated and Trans) 0g
Cholesterol 0g
Sodium 310mg
Total Carbs 28g
Fiber 5g
Sugars 1g
Protein 7g

Prep:

I added just a little extra curry and cayenne powder. I would have liked to have added some powdered coconut milk but I haven't ordered that yet. I then repackaged in a Ziploc. I guesstimated about one and half cups of water. Added hot water and placed pouch in my AGG cozy for 6 minutes. After that added one four ounce tin of my favorite Spanish tuna in olive oil and mixed really well with my usual plastic spoon.

Results:

Not too soupy. Thick but not a sticky mess. Just perfect IMHO. Less watery than Enertia meals (e.g., Max Pac and Cheese) with their recommended amount of water. Tasted delicious! And I just had this as a regular lunch in my kitchen, i.e., I wasn't starving after a long day on the trail and looking forward to eating just anything. Would probably taste better with some of that coconut powder.

Gonna try some of their other offerings.

Disclaimer: No affiliation to said (or any) company.

Edited by nyc_paramedic on 09/15/2007 12:53:47 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Another quick one on 09/15/2007 14:52:05 MDT Print View

http://www.spicehunter.com/meals_in_a_cup.cfm?&DID=27

Spice Hunter makes risotto in cups to add boiling water to. With some dried vegetables added and maybe some meat they are pretty filling.

I used to use Nile Spice cups as well! The couscous ones are good!

nick lidakis
(nyc_paramedic) - F
Re: Curried Chicken Cranberry Couscous on 09/17/2007 13:22:34 MDT Print View

Hey Russel, what is the consistency of a dish like that? Dry and fluffy or more like a thick soup or stew?

Kevin Clayton
(kclayton) - F

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
couscous on 09/26/2007 21:07:20 MDT Print View

I had not had couscous until this summer. now I will never leave it behind on any trip. This past summer it was a staple dinner for my trail crew. The day after a couscous dinner I felt 100%. It is also great because you can mix it up and add almost anything to it.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643)

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: couscous on 09/26/2007 21:30:59 MDT Print View

I like couscous too and take it on most trips, but for some reason I don't like it too much for dinner. Couscous makes a great breakfast. I just add sugar, cinnamon, some raisins and maybe some nuts.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: couscous for dinner on 09/30/2007 01:37:51 MDT Print View

> Does anyone have any good dinner recipies using couscous

Not sure you can put 'couscous' and 'good dinner' in the same sentence... I prefer real food.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Re: couscous for dinner on 09/30/2007 08:30:02 MDT Print View

Sounds like you need to have it prepared right ;-) The lentil and couscous recipe I posted last week could change your mind about it :-)

There is yes bad couscous and then there is tasty couscous!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: couscous for dinner on 06/10/2010 21:15:40 MDT Print View

These sound great. I'll eat any one-pot meal that has couscous, chicken, and fruit of any kind.

If you really don't like couscous, substitute dehydrated Quinoa.

--B.G.--