Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
particulate filter during chemical purification?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Rob Blazoff
(Genetic) - F

Locale: Out back, brewing beer in BPA.
seal the platy big zip on 09/05/2007 11:51:37 MDT Print View

An easy way to make sure the Big Zip is secure is to push it against a tree or wall as opposed to using a pinching method between fingers and thumb. Test it by giving a good squeeze.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
SteriPen Recommends AGAINST Using With Narrow Mouth Platypus on 09/05/2007 15:06:22 MDT Print View

To Sean Perry, Chris Wallace, and all others who use their Steripens with narrow mouth Platypus bladders/bottles:

I called and spoke to Miles Maiden of SteriPen (Hydro-Photon) today. Miles explained that the Steripen should be used with wide-mouth or open containers, to allow a full immersion of the glass UV tube. When asked, he specifically recommended against using narrow-mouth containers such as the 1L Platypus.

Finally, for the reason stated above, tests performed by Hydro-Photon and the independent testers were all done using open or wide-mouth containers.

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
duh? on 09/05/2007 15:26:17 MDT Print View

How do you even get a narrow mouth platy to work ben? The water has to be on the sensor area which is much larger than the glass tube for it to work properly anyway?

Anyway I'll confirm that the glass tube goes all the way inside a standard opening bike bottle and the sensor gets wet providing proper operation (plus it's opaque so you can't see the UV light) :)

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Not So Duh... on 09/05/2007 15:31:34 MDT Print View

Hi Chris:

Actually, with the Steripen's very narrow glass tube and rubberized base, you can insert the tube into a narrow mouth platy until it "stops" at the rubberized base. Then, you can turn the Platy upside down and agitate -- without a drop of water leaking out!

Sean first mentioned it up above, followed by a confirm from Chris Wallace. That got me pretty excited, so I called Miles @ Steripen to confirm effectiveness. Alas, negatore, so I wanted to pass this info back.

Edited by ben2world on 09/05/2007 15:35:45 MDT.

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
adventurer on 09/05/2007 15:56:00 MDT Print View

I have an adventurer and while the glass tube fits in the opening it doesn't trigger the metal sensor.

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Re: Fuel Filter on 09/05/2007 19:28:46 MDT Print View

Well...I have the cap, but haven't had the chance to drill/cut out the hole. Soon!

Pamela Wyant
(RiverRunner) - F - M
Instead of an extra scooping container on 09/05/2007 21:51:13 MDT Print View

I just use my Foster's beer can pot to scoop water to pour into my Platypus. If the water has 'floaties', I jam a bandana into the narrow mouth of the Platy pushing it in to form a small depression I pour the water thru.

Saves that extra half ounce of weight over carrying an 'extra' scoop.

The bandana probably does not work as easily as Ben's mesh cap insert though. It is sometimes a pain to keep it in place with enough of a depression to pour sufficient water quantities thru without the bandana deflecting too much of the water.

Pam

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
SteriPen and 1L Platy on 09/06/2007 05:25:00 MDT Print View

I've never actually used the SteriPen/Platy combo in the field, I just confirmed it would work using tap water @ home. Guess I need to get a Nalgene Cantene to use it with. I have some AquaMira but having to wait 30 mins means I would have to carry extra water (I assume)and given it's weight it'd still be lighter to carry an old fashioned filter. Maybe I'll try a gravity filter..

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Plug-and-invert on 09/06/2007 11:09:34 MDT Print View

The new UV Aquastar mUV is designed to use in this way, and in my experience works fine with narrow mouth Platys and various plastic water and drink bottles.

Anybody ancient enough to have done their own film developing (you know who you are) know the correct technique: leave some airspace in the container, and slowly invert and return while treating. You'll get plenty of water movement for complete treatment.

It can also be dropped into a pot or widemouth container.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Aquastar Muv on 09/06/2007 12:44:16 MDT Print View

Rick:

Using the device with a narrow-mouth platy -- have you talked to /confirmed with Aquastar about its effectiveness? Wonder if they had done any actual testing, etc.?

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Plug-and-invert on 09/06/2007 15:20:53 MDT Print View

> The new UV Aquastar mUV is designed to use in this way, and in my experience works fine with narrow mouth Platys and various plastic water and drink bottles.

That worries me. The amount of water in proximity to the UV lamp sounds very small. I don't think I would risk it. (I use a pot.)

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Re: Fuel Filter on 09/11/2007 18:30:25 MDT Print View

Ben,
I finally got back to that Platypus filter. Well, it's a great filter in the sense that not much will get through...unfortunately, that seems to include water.

I tried it out in my sink with clean tap water. The screen is so fine and is relatively small (~1/2" diam), that it takes pretty long for the water to pass through. I tried tapping the screen to dislodge bubbles, and speed the process, but it was still slow (too slow for me to feel like measuring it).

It would probably work fairly well with a foot or two of head pressure, but I'm thinking that I'd probably want it most when the water level is low.

Tom