Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
particulate filter during chemical purification?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sean Perry
(shaleh) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Steri-Pen and Platy 1L on 08/23/2007 18:00:38 MDT Print View

After some practice the first day, no I do not get leaks.

The white steripen at least seems a perfect fit, can't speak to the adventurer (yellow one).

The only "trick" is to jam it in good and rapidly invert the whole thing. The neck and the blue rubber section seem to marry quite nicely.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Steri-Pen and Platy 1L on 08/23/2007 18:36:47 MDT Print View

Thanks, Sean. Good to know.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Re: Re: Platypus pre-filter on 08/24/2007 17:06:27 MDT Print View

Todd-
After reading your method, I am understanding that you only use the Big Zip 2L Platy as a canteen and not as your main water container to drink from while hiking. Has anyone hooked up a drinking tube to a Big Zip canteen?

Also, I guess you scoop up a liter, pour into the 2 L, treat and then once that amount has filled your other bottles, you scoop up another liter to treat. The Steripen treats only a liter at a time. Am I missing something?

My method just fills a 3L Dromlite for camp, pour out a liter into my Nalgene (now it will be a Platy) and treat that.

Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
Ben, yes metal filters on 08/24/2007 19:47:01 MDT Print View

Yes, I have one of those 'permanent' metal filters but the holes are too large for some of the grounds, so the coffee end up with bean dust (dregs?). Not a tragedy, but I have found that paper filters have the tightest weave, and easy cleanup. The 4 cup size fits with its circumfrence folded firmly over the edge of my Snowpeak 600 mug perfectly. I also tried the Snowpeak OD Drip, a cloth folding mesh filter, but again, holes too big. My grinder is not too precise, so either of those solutions would work with a more precise grinder.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Re: Re: Re: Platypus pre-filter on 08/24/2007 20:34:37 MDT Print View

Hi Donna,

Yes, you understand me. WOW - I haven't said that often!!! I pour thru the paper or mesh filter into the 2L.

It's easy enough to hook up a hose...no problem. My reason for not doing so is fear (albeit Unfounded) of the zip coming open in my pack while filled w/water!

I got sick once from water (That SUCKS) so I'm a little paranoid anyway. Water scares me almost as much as females (I'm married w/THREE daughters :)

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Platypus pre-filter on 08/25/2007 05:53:20 MDT Print View

Todd
Thanks for the info.

As for women....be afraid. be very afraid. always.
: )

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Platy and SteriPen on 08/25/2007 15:15:24 MDT Print View

I tested this out in my bathroom using a 2+ platy and the steripen and it works like a champ so I'll be carrying a 1 litre platy as opposed to a nalgene bottle on my next trip.

I did notice some water inside the glass tube after I tested it but I'm not too worried about it at this point.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Now I am Greedy on 08/25/2007 15:55:50 MDT Print View

Good to know that the Steripen works with a narrow-mouth platy. What about the smaller size Steripen ("Traveller")? Can it work the same way with a 1L platy? Has anyone tried and lived to tell the tale?

Edited by ben2world on 08/25/2007 15:58:30 MDT.

Jason Smith
(JasonS) - MLife

Locale: Northeast
Traveler in platy on 08/25/2007 16:06:21 MDT Print View

I don't own a platypus bladder but the openning is about the same size a soda bottle. Their is no way I can tell to jam the adventurer into the openning.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Re: Now I am Greedy on 08/27/2007 12:10:25 MDT Print View

Ben-

When I get a chance, I'll try it with my Adventurer and 2+Platy with the small opening.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Please Do... on 08/27/2007 12:11:45 MDT Print View

I am holding my breath until you post again. :)

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
steripen adventurer on 08/27/2007 13:13:43 MDT Print View

I can use my steripen adv with small mouth bike bottles but that's about as small as it fits getting the sensor wet. It just barely fits in those as it is. No way the sensor is going inside a small platy or that would save me much timeo.

Ryan Stoughton
(TxTengu) - F

Locale: Seattle
Re: Please Do... on 08/27/2007 13:50:28 MDT Print View

Alas, the Adventurer does not appear to work with a regular Platy. (At least I couldn't get it to work.) Oh well, at least it works with the Nalgene Cantenes.

Ryan

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Re: Re: Please Do... on 08/27/2007 16:30:19 MDT Print View

Mine either. Oh well. I'll just use a cut-up 1L Platy.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Oh Well on 08/27/2007 16:38:21 MDT Print View

Thanks for all your feedback!

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
steripen adventurer on 08/27/2007 19:11:25 MDT Print View

I use my Steripen Adventurer with a nalgene 32 oz wide-mouth canteen.

I then dump the treated water into my 3L bladder.

Richard Nelridge
(naturephoto1) - M

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania
steripen adventurer on 08/27/2007 19:15:53 MDT Print View

I got my Steripen Adventurer to use with my 32 oz wide mouthed Nalgene Canteen as well. I still have to put it to use. I intend to then pour the contents into my 48 oz wide mouthed Nalgene Canteen.

Rich

Edited by naturephoto1 on 08/27/2007 19:16:55 MDT.

Frank Deland
(rambler)

Locale: On the AT in VA
funnel and bug netting on 08/27/2007 19:40:05 MDT Print View

This little funnel from Hennessy hammock screws onto the top of a platypus bottle. Use an elstic band to attach a small piece of no-seeum netting over the top, filter oput the "floaties". If you miss a few bugs, remember they are just protien!
http://hennessyhammock.com/new-products.html

Edited by rambler on 08/27/2007 19:40:47 MDT.

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Fuel Filter on 09/04/2007 21:34:38 MDT Print View

I tried your technique on an extra Platypus cap that I had, but had problems getting the screen to stay in place. After closer inspection, it looks like you used a soda or water botle cap. My cap has a inner ring, which creates a seal on the inside of the finish (top part with the threads) of the Platypus and teh outside of that raised ring on the cap, which prevented the screen from fitting nicely between the cap and finish. Soda bottle caps create the seal between the top of the finish and the bottom of the cap.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Fuel Filter on 09/05/2007 09:31:09 MDT Print View

Hi Thomas:

I was too cheap to sacrifice a "real" Platypus bottle cap -- the caps that come from supermarket water bottles fit well and are much cheaper. Thanks for the feedback about Platy bottle caps.

I assume you now have a bottle cap filter made with a supermarket bottle cap?