Forum Index » GEAR » New Western Mountaineering Bag

Display Avatars Sort By:
john braun
(Hitman) - F

Locale: West Florida
New Western Mountaineering Bag on 05/21/2014 10:33:27 MDT Print View

Where is the best price to get a Western Mountaineering bag or possibly a Montbell bag? I'm needing maybe a 20-30 degree very light bag.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: New Western Mountaineering Bag on 05/21/2014 11:10:13 MDT Print View

WM and Montbell normally dont allow sales, but have a google and you might find some.

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
Re: New Western Mountaineering Bag on 05/21/2014 11:43:44 MDT Print View

For Montbell, check out their US website under the heading "Outlet" and see what they have on sale.

For Western Mountaineering, I posted a deal a month or two ago, but I'm not sure whether that would still work. A Google search may turn up some good deals, but you'll have to spend some serious effort looking for them (and, annoyingly, some of the prices listed will be incorrect).

On a big item like that, I felt it was worthwhile spending the time, but YMMV.

Doug Reeves
(strawman) - F

Locale: God's Country
Montbell on sale now on 05/21/2014 11:59:23 MDT Print View

Montbell is on sale right now at mammothgear.com

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
WTB on 05/21/2014 12:06:32 MDT Print View

You could also research which WM bag(s) you are looking for, and post a Want to Buy (WTB) in the Gear Swap. WM bags come up every so often, and a WTB might inspire someone who wants to clean out their gear closet.

And yes, they are expensive and GREAT bags that aren't on sale too often! I have two and love them.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: New Western Mountaineering Bag on 05/21/2014 13:34:05 MDT Print View

You can find the best deals here on gear swap. I got a lightly used summerlite last year for $200.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: New Western Mountaineering Bag on 05/21/2014 13:41:39 MDT Print View

Gear Trader may have something that was a return.
Brand new still.

Joe McNair
(Bamadawg999) - F
Re: Re: New Western Mountaineering Bag on 05/21/2014 15:06:54 MDT Print View

I tried to find an Alpinlite on sale and was unsuccessful. Posted here as WTB and had two responses within a day. Got a fair deal on one that had only been used twice. It arrived in great shape and I could not be happier.

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Western Mountaineering discount on 05/21/2014 21:35:12 MDT Print View

WM does sell through retail outlets, such as Whole Earth Provision Co. Not sure how one would find those dealers' discounts though.

Kevin Garrison
(kgarrison) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area
Gear Swap on 05/21/2014 21:36:37 MDT Print View

+10 on the Gear Swap endorsement. I've purchased 2 WM bags over the past few years from a local shop. I'm reminded of how much I over paid every time I see a WM bag listed on Gear Swap.

With that said, I have a very good reason for paying retail for their equipment. Several years ago, I called WM to ask about the best way to shorten a Highlight bag. My son is a Little Person and just over 4 ft as a teenager. I wanted to take him on a week long backpacking trip to Montana's Beartooth Plateau and I needed to lighten his load.

When I called WM, I asked for Customer Service and my call was forwarded to the owners desk. I told him what I was doing and he told me to order the bag from a local detailer and that he would make a custom Highlight to fit my son at no extra cost. The trip was a huge success and I'm now a WM customer for life.

Bill Law
(williamlaw) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: New Western Mountaineering Bag on 05/22/2014 11:26:11 MDT Print View

Try http://www.melcottons.com/.

If you sign up for email there is a 15% coupon. At Memorial Day they have a 20% one item coupon (search mercurynews.com). I'm not sure if those are good on web sales and/or WM bags. But I got 20% off on my Badger in store a couple of years ago. You might find a similar deal at a local WM retailer.