Trolls?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Tent for Rain. on 05/17/2014 14:39:07 MDT Print View

I read through this entire thread to find a recommendation for which tent to use in rain, and nobody answered. So I guess I will have to start a new thread to ask.

Edited by Bolster on 05/17/2014 14:40:11 MDT.

J Mag
(GoProGator) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Trolls? on 05/17/2014 15:10:53 MDT Print View

Yes I understand where you are coming from. I have not used the word troll and I agree it is too strong for this conversation.

I don't think people are coming on here to be rude intentionally. I don't want anyone to get the impression BPL is unfriendly to newcomers. I was one only a few months ago. I'm just letting people know that if they do zero research on their own and then come here and post multiple threads about the same subject only to ignore the advice they get it will be frowned upon by many.

Also I think a lot of new people are getting the wrong idea with this thread. I am only referring to two people in particular who have been a bit over the top in dismissing the opinions of the more experienced who were only trying to help them. Neither have posted in this thread.

In a way though, some of this must be working because as David mentioned both of those posters have reduced their plans significantly and are actually becoming part of the discussion in the threads they create.

Edited by GoProGator on 05/17/2014 15:11:31 MDT.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Writing instrument for the JMT? on 05/17/2014 16:09:28 MDT Print View

I think I'm going to start a thread about the best writing instrument for the JMT. Anyone have any suggestions?

Cameron Habib
(camhabib) - F
Re: Writing instrument for the JMT? on 05/17/2014 16:10:48 MDT Print View

What's a writing instrument?

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Writing instrument for the JMT? on 05/17/2014 16:20:22 MDT Print View

What is the best black powder pistol for self defense to carry on a continental divide through hike?

What is the most weight efficient ukelele for light and fast backpacking at 9,500 feet of elevation?

Which sub 2 ounce windshirt can survive bushwacking in the desert?

Which tank top has the highest uv rating for summer alpine climbing?

What are the warmest shorts for cross country skiing in Montana?

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Writing instrument for the JMT? on 05/17/2014 19:39:49 MDT Print View

"What is the best black powder pistol for self defense to carry on a continental divide through hike?"

You'll have to give us more information before we can answer that: Flintlock or percussion? Single shot or revolver?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Trolls? on 05/17/2014 20:49:41 MDT Print View

Can I use Mapp gas with my Coleman 2 burner stove? I want to make hash browns and pancakes atop Half Dome this weekend.

Brandon Richards
(ZenDragon) - MLife

Locale: Southern Arizona
Re: Re: Re: Trolls? on 05/18/2014 22:33:47 MDT Print View

"Brandon you are taking offense to something you shouldn't. He is referring to a specific set of people who have been on the forum lately."

I wasn't really taking offence to it. I've just frequented so many forums on pretty much every topic from Linux, online games, and programming to cars and 4x4s, to working out, backpacking, running, cycling, pretty much every interest I have ever had since the invention of the internet. Even back before forums I was in BBS systems and news groups, pretty much all of those were eventually overrun by the collective arrogance of a minority of anti-social members that had nothing better to do than jump on every word of any inexperienced member that dared to ask a "stupid" question. I'm just so used to this discussion, and I have seen where it goes nearly 100% of the time. This sport is the one true constant interest in my life (besides programming which I do for a living), and thus these forums are the last of those topics that I would have wanted to see devolve into some petty elitist soapbox.

My apologies if I missed some other discussion or some comments/questions from some particular individual that is prompting the OP to make this post. I haven't and nor do I care to cyber stalk the op or anybody on this thread to find out exactly what posts everyone is referring too. I just wanted to implore any one who cares to avoid that perception, it's just not good for the community.

Edited by ZenDragon on 05/18/2014 22:38:47 MDT.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Trolls? on 05/18/2014 23:03:14 MDT Print View

Brandon +1, very well said.

...but I still found a lot of the faux-troll examples funny.

...plus I'm getting marginally better over time a recognizing posters quickly where it is a waste of time. But that does not mean I am against any kind of questions. I find I care much less if I just ignore those. If you do that is removes a lot of the irritation.

There are no stupid posts ... only stupid re-posts. ;-)

Edited by millonas on 05/18/2014 23:13:10 MDT.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Trolls? on 05/18/2014 23:46:38 MDT Print View

Brian.
You will be amazed at how many people send me E Mails starting with " this is going to be a silly question, but..."
the funny bit is that they never do ask a silly question and I am still waiting for one .
"Questions like recommend a tent for rain, are almost too ridiculous to be honest questions"
At first you would think that asking for a good tent for rainy weather is a silly one, yet there are in fact many popular tent designs that I would not want to use where rain is heavy and or lasts for more than an hour or so,
Essentially any tent that has the floor past the drip line is a type that I would avoid .
(that is because you get water on the floor getting in or out and can't keep the door open for light/airflow or a view)
Even broader than that, the type where you set the inner up first and then drape the rain fly on top is not what I would chose or recommend for this particular situation.
(if it is raining setting the tent up, you already have wet clothes on so why get inside a wet inner tent too? here for example, a good size vestibule is handy too)
On the the hand, a tent that I think is terrible under heavy rain could be very good for high winds or snow.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Trolls? on 05/19/2014 06:26:09 MDT Print View

wasn't really taking offence to it. I've just frequented so many forums on pretty much every topic from Linux, online games, and programming to cars and 4x4s, to working out, backpacking, running, cycling, pretty much every interest I have ever had since the invention of the internet. Even back before forums I was in BBS systems and news groups, pretty much all of those were eventually overrun by the collective arrogance of a minority of anti-social members that had nothing better to do than jump on every word of any inexperienced member that dared to ask a "stupid" question. I'm just so used to this discussion, and I have seen where it goes nearly 100% of the time. This sport is the one true constant interest in my life (besides programming which I do for a living), and thus these forums are the last of those topics that I would have wanted to see devolve into some petty elitist soapbox.

this ...

its BPL ... we know "better" than everyone else of course

;)

J Mag
(GoProGator) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Trolls? on 05/19/2014 08:27:27 MDT Print View

Brandon I think once you are around here longer (ironic of me to say I guess) and experience some of the posts being referred to you might understand the frustration.

I myself am a member of way too many forums as my interests seem to come and go as they please. However I understand the difference between discussing the merits of an upper/lower body split and engaging in a trip that could have life and death consequences. Whether warranted or not, I hope you can see how some of the people on here feel they have earned the right through years of experience to try to talk some of these people off the ledge of their risky ventures or encourage them to do some more research and testing on their own. However I have never seen anyone here respond in a thread and call a question "stupid" as you are describing.

Like I said the trips being referred to have been changed to more appropriate ventures so I guess I will remove myself from this thread and hopefully let it find its way off of page 1. This thread has clearly been blown waayyyyyyyy out of proportion.

Summary: I understand your frustration but haven't seen the superiority complex (outside of this post lol) you are referring to (and have seen myself on other forums) here at BPL.

Edited by GoProGator on 05/19/2014 10:36:38 MDT.

Kate Moody
(KitKatKate) - F

Locale: Acadia
Liner gloves? ;) on 05/19/2014 09:20:16 MDT Print View

I got an answer about liner gloves in another thread, but me no likey the reply, so can someone magically alter reality for me and say that they are something different that I will like? :D

Sorry, just had to. I am one of the newbs, and as such I am sure that I have asked some seemingly inane questions. Self deprecation is always better than self defecation, regardless...

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Liner gloves? ;) on 05/19/2014 10:31:15 MDT Print View

"Self deprecation is always better than self defecation, regardless..."

Great, so now you're making fun of us old people.....

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Trolls? on 05/19/2014 10:32:19 MDT Print View

"I'm getting marginally better over time a recognizing posters quickly where it is a waste of time."

I resemble that remark....

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
self defecation on 05/19/2014 10:41:57 MDT Print View

As a ULer who's a subject matter expert in the crapping o' the pants, it never occurred to me until just now that I should make a weight comparison between a pair of adult diapers and a week's worth of TP.

Thread on this very topic forthcoming...

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643)

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Ultralight airmat inflation device. on 05/19/2014 11:07:24 MDT Print View

What's the best (lightest) way to inflate a coleman inflatable queen size mattress? I don't mind the weight of the mattress itself but the inflation device uses 4D batteries and is very heavy.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: self defecation on 05/19/2014 12:52:25 MDT Print View

"a pair of adult diapers"

How many are in a pair?

--B.G.--

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: self defecation on 05/19/2014 13:29:57 MDT Print View

Kate, since you are new on here you stepped into the trap, but you will learn: never bring up the subject of crap. Virtually guaranteed to start a how new flurry of activity. Basically a lot of us have the maturity of 6 year olds, and therefore think fart and shit jokes are like the funniest thing imaginable. :-)

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: adult diapers on 05/19/2014 14:11:46 MDT Print View

"weight comparison between a pair of adult diapers and a week's worth of TP"

Ian, you are planning on wearing the same pair of Depends for a week???!!?? On second thought, don't answer that - I'm not sure I want to hear the answer! ;-)