Forum Index » GEAR » WATER PURIFIER

Display Avatars Sort By:
Alessandra Bisi
(AlexBambifluff) - M

Locale: Playa del Carmen, QR, Mexico
Not chemical, not bulky, lightweight, easy to use, quick to treat water, quick to fill up pot, relatively cheap Water Purifier on 05/16/2014 12:06:27 MDT Print View

Does a water purifier which:

-filters water removing bacteria, protozoas and particulate
-kills viruses
-is not chemical
-is lightweight
-is not bulky
-it's easy to use
-doesn't take ages to treat water
-fills up a pot of water quickly
-doesn't cost a fortune

ALL IN ONE exists? If yes, what is it? If not, what's the closest option, please?

Cheers.

Edited by AlexBambifluff on 05/17/2014 11:28:23 MDT.

Ian Van Halen
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: WATER PURIFIER on 05/16/2014 12:48:19 MDT Print View

A PURIFIER IMPLIES REMOVING, KILLING, OR STERILIZING VIRUS (TO ME ANYWAYS). THERE ARE SOME FILTERS THAT DO THIS, SAWYER .02 IS ONE OF THEM (http://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-point-zerotwo-bucket-purifier-assembly-kit/). I USE THE STERIPEN TO PURIFY WATER AND IT'S BEEN RELIABLE FOR ME WHEN TRAVELING THE WORLD INCLUDING LATIN AMERICA AND ASIA. FOR ME PERSONALLY, I'D FILTER THE WATER THROUGH A SAWYER .1 (BACTERIA AND PROTOZOA / NOT FOR VIRUS) AND THEN HIT THE WATER WITH A PURIFIER LIKE THE STERIPEN OR CHEMICAL LIKE CHLORINE DIOXIDE.

EDIT TO ADD: WHEN I SAY "A PURIFIER IMPLIES REMOVING, KILLING, OR STERILIZING VIRUS (TO ME ANYWAYS)" IT'S IMPLIED THAT BACTERIA AND PROTOZOA ARE REMOVED/STERILIZED/MURDERIZED AS WELL.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 05/16/2014 12:52:24 MDT.

J Mag
(GoProGator) - F
Re: Re: WATER PURIFIER on 05/16/2014 12:53:04 MDT Print View

Ian turned me off at first but he is definitely growing on me.

I'll have to get that checked out.

Alessandra Bisi
(AlexBambifluff) - M

Re: Re: WATER PURIFIER on 05/16/2014 12:55:08 MDT Print View

I'm not sure I am able to see the right products through your post. Would you mind pasting me the links to the Sawyer water purifier and water filter you are mentioning please?

Cheers.

Ian Van Halen
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: WATER PURIFIER on 05/16/2014 12:57:31 MDT Print View

WELL J-MAG I'VE BEEN WORKING ON MY GLUTES SO WHO CAN BLAME YOU?

Ian Van Halen
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: WATER PURIFIER on 05/16/2014 13:07:01 MDT Print View

Sure thing.

For starters, here's the Sawyer Squeeze. It'll filter out protozoa and bacteria but not virus. Since you'll be exposed to hepatitis and other viral nasty’s, especially near the cities, you'll want to treat the water with a Steripen or chemical afterwards.
http://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-squeeze-filter-system-sp131/

Here's a link to Sawyer's Point Zero Two which will filter out Bacteria, Protozoa, and virus. No experience with the system so I won't offer an opinion other than to say I've been fine without it in my international travels.

http://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-point-zerotwo-bucket-purifier-assembly-kit/

I use the Steripen Adventurer. It sterilizes protozoa, bacteria and virus. What that means is that while they are not dead, they are incapable of reproducing so ingesting them won't make you sick. I've used this overseas without problem but for your purposes, I'd stick with one that uses AA batteries (or is rechargeable) vs one that uses CR123 batteries.

http://www.steripen.com/compare/

Edit: If you think you'll go the Steripen route, let me know as not all of their lamps are created equal and some of them are designed to have a shorter life span.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 05/16/2014 13:13:06 MDT.

Jeremy B.
(requiem) - F - M

Locale: Northern California
Re: WATER PURIFIER on 05/16/2014 13:13:11 MDT Print View

Your stove meets most of those requirements. The only downside is having to wait for the water to cool after you boil it. You may want to use a simple filter (bandanna? coffee filter? etc.) to clear out particulates.

If you don't like drinking warm or flat water, the Steripen is a sufficiently close equivalent. (Again, you may want to pair it with a bandanna/coffee filter.)

Do be aware they have been known to fail in the field. You'll know if it happens, but that means you'll want a backup. I prefer chlorine dioxide tablets for that, but at the end of the day you can always just boil the water.

Alessandra Bisi
(AlexBambifluff) - M

Re: WATER PURIFIER on 05/16/2014 13:15:39 MDT Print View

But that means A LOT of fuel and I already have got a fuel availability problem...

Jeremy B.
(requiem) - F - M

Re: Re: WATER PURIFIER on 05/16/2014 13:29:34 MDT Print View

Yes, it does. My own preference is the Steripen, especially since you can even use it in a restaurant if you don't trust the water and they're all out of beer. Just carry a backup.

Alessandra Bisi
(AlexBambifluff) - M

steripen on 05/16/2014 13:31:47 MDT Print View

The steripen still needs a filter though and its pre-filter is useless with pots and/or with hydration systems.

Alessandra Bisi
(AlexBambifluff) - M

Sawyer-point-zerotwo-bucket-purifier-assembly-kit on 05/16/2014 13:48:18 MDT Print View

Hang on a sec. With this water purifier: http://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-point-zerotwo-bucket-purifier-assembly-kit, I need a bucket! Where do I find a bucket in the middle of the forest/beach/mountains??

Ian Van Halen
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Sawyer-point-zerotwo-bucket-purifier-assembly-kit on 05/16/2014 14:18:42 MDT Print View

You wouldn't use a bucket. You'd use a dromedary bag of some sort and use this as part of a inline gravity fed filtration system.

Ian Van Halen
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: steripen on 05/16/2014 14:23:30 MDT Print View

"The steripen still needs a filter though and its pre-filter is useless with pots and/or with hydration systems."

You've got a couple choices. Live dangerously and learn to make compromises or stay home.

Alessandra Bisi
(AlexBambifluff) - M

Re: Sawyer-point-zerotwo-bucket-purifier-assembly-kit on 05/16/2014 14:24:43 MDT Print View

Sounds complicated...

Ian Van Halen
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Sawyer-point-zerotwo-bucket-purifier-assembly-kit on 05/16/2014 14:27:59 MDT Print View

Sounds complicated...

Well so are you but we don't hold that against you :)

It's not and fairly commonplace with the exception that it's normally done with a squeeze filter instead of the .02 one.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 05/16/2014 14:28:39 MDT.

Jeremy B.
(requiem) - F - M

Re: steripen on 05/16/2014 14:28:02 MDT Print View

Practically speaking, it's going to be hard to find a lightweight filter that handles virii. It's quicker and easier to use a very simple filter to get the larger particles, then let UV or chemicals do out the rest.

A very handy setup one of the other BPLers here used was a Gatorade bottle with multiple lids:
1. One normal lid.
2. One lid with most of the top cut away and a metal mesh coffee filter glued over the opening.
3. One lid with a hole cut just the right size to fit a Steripen Freedom model.

This makes it easy to filter out large particulates (screw on the filter lid and dunk in a stream), treat the water with the Steripen, and either pour into a cookpot/hydration bladder or just put on the lid and walk.

Alessandra Bisi
(AlexBambifluff) - M

Re: Re: Re: Sawyer-point-zerotwo-bucket-purifier-assembly-kit on 05/16/2014 14:33:28 MDT Print View

"It's not and fairly commonplace with the exception that it's normally done with a squeeze filter instead of the .02 one."

What does this mean?

Jeremy B.
(requiem) - F - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sawyer-point-zerotwo-bucket-purifier-assembly-kit on 05/16/2014 14:39:19 MDT Print View

You have a bag of "dirty" water above, a bag for the "clean water" below, and the filter connecting them. You can squeeze the top bag (thus the name "Squeeze") or just let gravity do its work.

Ian Van Halen
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sawyer-point-zerotwo-bucket-purifier-assembly-kit on 05/16/2014 14:43:27 MDT Print View

"What does this mean?"

The system I'm describing is a "gravity fed filtration system" and you'll find many people here at BPL use them with great success. The exception is that they are using the squeeze (or similar) filter which only removes bacteria and protozoa.

You'd need to learn how to a) prefilter the water to try and keep your filter from becoming clogged, and b) learn how to backflush the filter when it does indeed become clogged. Neither of these things are complicated in the slightest.

Alessandra Bisi
(AlexBambifluff) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sawyer-point-zerotwo-bucket-purifier-assembly-kit on 05/16/2014 14:47:53 MDT Print View

"You'd need to learn how to a) prefilter the water to try and keep your filter from becoming clogged, and b) learn how to backflush the filter when it does indeed become clogged. Neither of these things are complicated in the slightest."

Do I need to learn that with the gravity filter?
How about this one: http://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-2-liter-water-filtration-system-2/
?