Car Keys?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brian Mix
(Aggro) - M

Locale: Western slope, Sierra Nevada
Re: Re: Re: Car Keys? on 05/13/2014 17:51:02 MDT Print View

The last time I inquired, AAA stopped doing the credit card keys.
That's what I carry.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Seriously People..... on 05/13/2014 23:08:25 MDT Print View

We're on pretty different pages, and that's okay. HYOH, Lock your own door.

>Who leaves a key outside their home?? I've never done that.

I don't either. The door is unlocked. Otherwise, it would be hard for the neighbors to water the plants, borrow a cup of sugar or use my tools.

>"and had to have their keys at home redone due to this."

A bother, but not a huge one. $40-$50 for two matching entry lock sets and about 5 minutes to install each one - the holes and strike plate would already be ready to use - I could get that on my drive home. Taking two lock sets in to get rekeyed would be an 8-mile round trip and 2x$10. Cheaper but a little more time.

>"criminal ID theft. . . It is beyond one of the worst things you can have happen to your self.

I have found the death of one's child worse. Friends report sexual assault and injuries causing amputations to be worse.

But I've always been good with numbers - it doesn't take me long to memorize my new ID and CC card numbers.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Car Keys? on 05/13/2014 23:10:44 MDT Print View

My last 3 vehicles have had a keyless entry system. It is a prime requirement. I carefully hide my keys inside.

I do the same thing as David with the rental car keys (several times a year) only I stop at a car dealership and ask a technician to cut the little cable. On these trips I car one key with me.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: AAA Car Keys? reply to Brian Mix (Aggro) on 05/14/2014 01:16:13 MDT Print View

my AAA still does them, I also receive a junk mail flyer that they do. I live 10 miles from one of their corporate office.

it took them 20 minutes to find a guy who can operate that ancient machine, and it took him 15 mins to find the stack of blank plastic keys.

I think they must get 1 request per year.

Pete Staehling
(staehpj1) - F
Keys on 05/14/2014 03:29:17 MDT Print View

I am amazed at the level of worry over this issue. Worry of someone figuring out who I am or where I live are pretty non existent in my case. Them getting my house key is almost equally so.

First, any house I have lived in could be broken in to in 30 seconds if worried about damage and less if not.
Second, I typically am parking for any trip hundreds if not thousands of miles from home.
Third, there is usually someone home while I am away in addition to a protective dog.
Fourth, I don't own all that much theft worthy stuff.

I really don't see ID theft as that likely to occur due to a vehicle break in. Maybe if you leave drivers license and SS card there. I do take a very limited amount of wallet stuff on trips and do not leave it in the car, but it isn't something that would keep me awake at night either.

The notion that "It is beyond one of the worst things you can have happen to your self" is absolutely absurd. It would be a problem, but if it is the worst thing that ever happens to you you should consider yourself very fortunate.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Re: Seriously People..... on 05/14/2014 15:18:15 MDT Print View

David....if you haven't gone through it, then you don't know how bad it is. You know how I found out? I applied for a CPL and got denied. When I asked why, then oh the fun started. I had my name and SSN used for a criminal case back then (when I was around 17) and I am a permanent aliases on her criminal record. She was thankfully fingerprinted for that crime when she used my name. While she never used my name again, she went on to have a long history of jail time. Due to her, I found out why for 15 years I couldn't get hired at any bank. Because according to their "background checks" I was a convicted felon who enjoyed beating up her SO. Yeah, so you know what? IT DOES SUCK. I will NEVER have a job where a background check is done without me being able to say "Please, this isn't me". You know how long it took me to go from agency to agency, trying to get people to listen to me? No, you don't.

Don't mock me. It affected me badly and shook me off my foundation. Criminal ID theft is considerably worse than ID theft involving money. It is your name, your identity. It is who you are. As for deaths of children and sexual assault? What do you even know about me, to assume I have never felt the pain of life?

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Car Keys? on 05/14/2014 15:40:24 MDT Print View

Assessing risk, valuables, career identity theft and all philosophical reasons aside, this thread is about Trail Head Car Keys storage

A footnote, fancy hotels and restaurants that require valet parking, have a cabinet case with a 100 hooks to hang keys, however the guys running to park and retrieve the cars often take a shortcut, and leave the car keys on top of the driver side tire (front left in the US) for fast access, so they don't have to waste time running to the cabinet.

Not recommending it, just stating a business as usual unofficial process.

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
"Car Keys?" on 05/14/2014 16:59:13 MDT Print View

I think it's fair to say we all have different tolerance to risk. David leaves his house unlocked, I don't feel safe leaving keys anywhere near my car or a garage door opener in it. And we live in the same state! :)

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Re: "Car Keys?" on 05/14/2014 19:35:02 MDT Print View

Dena: But it's a big state. There are absolutely trailheads in the Anchorage Hillside and along Turnagin Arm where I'd be much more careful about car keys and, more so, leaving a car after-hours or leaving any desirable items in view.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Seriously People..... on 05/14/2014 20:04:26 MDT Print View

Sarah, it sounds like a horrible experience, far more invasive, long-lasting and less resolved than the various times I've had IDs stolen, credit cards compromised, funds wrongly transferred from my back account, or my common name mistaken for debtors and criminals.

>"(ID theft) is beyond one of the worst things you can have happen to your self."
>"As for deaths of children and sexual assault? What do you even know about me, to assume I have never felt the pain of life?"

I assumed, charitably, that you hadn't experienced those traumas. It's the only way I could get my head around the first statement.

But to have lost a child and still hold that view? I don't mock that value system. I abhor it.

Bob Shaver
(rshaver) - F

Locale: West
good points on 05/22/2014 15:07:05 MDT Print View

I have not had the experience Sarah has, but her experience is a good reminder to think about such risks. I am amazed at the web forums that still demand a birthdate when you sign up. Does anybody give them the correct birth date?

I leave my "other" keys and cards at home, and only take the one car key, cash, and a debit and credit card. I take those with me on the backpack, as they don't weigh much. They are in a zip lock bag, my backpacking wallet. I hadn't thought to strip out the vehicle registration, insurance card, and garage door opener. Its worth thinking about. I have had my car broken into once, and it was a quick search for loose gear.