Forum Index » Gear Lists » Bash my gear (constructively please)

Display Avatars Sort By:
Steve .
(pappekak) - F

Locale: Tralfamadore
Re: Re: Tarps on 08/15/2007 09:20:42 MDT Print View

Chris I ended up going with a Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape instead of a tarptent or tarp + bivy.

For bug protection while sleeping I use the a baseball cap + BPL headnet.

The nice thing about the headnet is I can use it around camp or while photographing if the mosquitoes are bad.

If you are patient you can find a used cape in very good condition for around $80 in the BPL gear swap section.

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: Re: Re: Tarps on 08/15/2007 09:32:07 MDT Print View

Another point about seperate bug protection and shelter wether useing full body or head net... if you hike on the AT you can use just the bug protection when in shelters, if you have a tent/tarptent you either have to carry extra bug protection, take your chances, or only use your tent/tarptent every night.
Just yet another way that tarps are versitile.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: MLD bug bivy on 08/15/2007 10:21:53 MDT Print View

Great idea, Chris!

I'm looking at the bug bivy, as well. Being in FL, I totally get where you're coming from w/the bugs.

In the Carolinas, I spent lots of nights w/o even a tarp. That's reserved for the short "cold" season here, since our critters (& part of Georgia, too) include fire ants. Unlike most ants, they DO bite when they find you.

Edited by funnymoney on 08/15/2007 10:25:52 MDT.

Jon Rhoderick
(hotrhoddudeguy) - F - M

Locale: New England
Re: Re: MLD bug bivy on 08/15/2007 15:17:28 MDT Print View

also, I think that lyme disease,more common up here in NE, is a tick bourne illness, and I think its better to have a bug bivy than suffer the chronic joint pains and headaches...

Daniel Benthal
(DBthal)

Locale: Mid-Coast Maine
Bug Bivy on 08/15/2007 18:25:43 MDT Print View

I just finished sewing a Bug Bivy that is a blend of several styles.
Bug Bivy

1.9 oz silnylon floor, noseeum netting, and a #3 zipper in the ridgeline. It weighs 10oz which is fine for me due to the added durability. Most of my trips are well into Canada and durability is an important factor.

I agree that for most of the year bugs are an issue and I'd prefer to avoid the possibility of Lymes.

Dan

Edited by DBthal on 08/15/2007 18:43:16 MDT.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: Bug Bivy on 08/15/2007 19:26:16 MDT Print View

Looks really nice Daniel. This will be the 2nd gear makeover I've done this year and at the rate I'm going I'll be sewing my own gear by winter.

Alan Hughes
(natchez) - F

Locale: South
Chris on 08/15/2007 20:36:05 MDT Print View

Hey man I am also in GA (Rome) I have (had) a Tarp tent (contrail) and they are sweet I also have a Hennessy Hammock and fly that is under two lbs it is my favorate if it is above 30.

Every Blessing
Alan

Jesse Glover
(hellbillylarry) - F

Locale: southern appalachians
Bug bivy on 08/16/2007 05:24:43 MDT Print View

IMO the bug bivy + a flat tarp is the way to go. I am not a fan of the tarptents because of condensation. My friends have hennesy hammocks and love them but I just cannot sleep with my back arched.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
New Tentative Gearlist on 08/16/2007 06:40:24 MDT Print View

Ok, I've uploaded a new planned gear list that's more complete and a better breakdown (I borrowed someone elses design from this site..sorry I can't remember who). I've left the pack as-is but will gladly accept suggestions. There's also room to drop some ounces here and there but if I can get a 2 lb or less pack that'll put me under 10 lbs base.

Mark W Heninger
(heninger) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Pack on 08/16/2007 09:05:08 MDT Print View

I'd highly recommend the Gossamer Gear Mariposa/Plus/Miniposa

Steve .
(pappekak) - F

Locale: Tralfamadore
Re: Pack on 08/16/2007 09:28:27 MDT Print View

I will second Wade's recommendation of a Mariposa Plus.

Jesse Glover
(hellbillylarry) - F

Locale: southern appalachians
Re: Re: Pack on 08/16/2007 15:21:38 MDT Print View

I will third the mariposa plus. Great pack.
Chris, send me a pm if you want to meet up this fall I am planning a bartram trip around coloumbus day. (hale ridge to sandy ford rd or warwoman dell)