Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Eight days backpacking with a DeLorme inReach SE
Display Avatars Sort By:
J R
(JRinGeorgia) - F
re: Lumix on 07/07/2014 13:58:02 MDT Print View

Thanks for indulging my curiosity. Didn't know they had models that small/light. Luddites have it so easy...

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: re: Lumix on 07/07/2014 14:30:41 MDT Print View

I was poo pooing bringing the damn Inreach, probably even earlier in this thread, until I read some of the missed-resupply stories people related. That was maybe 2 1/2 month ago. Now my brain thinks this rock is a necessity and it TRIES to collect data on why it is needed. Its like a plague, or the invasion of the body snatchers, or those zombies in World War Z that TRY to bite people who will best be able to spread the disease.

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Locale: New Uraniborg CO
Re: Re: Recharging the SE in the Field on 07/07/2014 15:25:53 MDT Print View

"Interesting. Perhaps you have posted the specific of this before but could you again. My inreach SE is 6.8 oz. If you Battery is 3 oz that doesn't leave much room for evenmost point ans shoot cameras."

The iPod Touch 5G is a surprisingly good snapshot camera, too. I enjoy its sweep panorama and handheld HDR features a lot. But the main use for the iPod is for navigation, paired via Bluetooth with the SE. I've been using Gaia GPS on the 'Pod for that. The iPod could also be used as a voice recorder or video camera. Multi-use at no extra weight cost but the juice to run it. Need more juice? Take another battery (either one 18650 or 3 AAs) at 45g. I'm still below 15 oz. That's not much weight for a lot of capability.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Re: Recharging the SE in the Field on 07/07/2014 15:43:50 MDT Print View

Ah, ok.If I could keep my iPhone charged while using it as a camera then I could loose about 6 oz. I could use the iPod trick as well. I think the main trick is not to go on a 47 day trip. I could leave a lot of functionality behind then.

Thanks for the info.