Quick overnighter on the Cumberland Trail
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nathan Custer
(nastynate) - F

Locale: Tennessee
Quick overnighter on the Cumberland Trail on 05/11/2014 08:09:16 MDT Print View

Had time for a quick trip with my almost 5 y.o. boy. The Cumberland Trail has 4 trailhead within 20 minutes if my house so it's my go to hike. I packed on Thursday so we could leave when I got home from work.
Packs
Walked slow and explored the wildlife and scenery through the eyes of a kid.
Waterfall

We found a flat spot right along the trail about 30 minutes before dark and set up camp. It was about 100' from a waterfall so that was wonderful noise to fall asleep with.
Camp

After a quick breakfast we broke camp and made our way back to the car. Spent lots of time just seeing stuff that little boys like to play with.BridgeMillipedeNewtFrog
The rhododendron were starting to bloomRhododendron
And there is always an after hike treat.
Skittles

Nathan Custer
(nastynate) - F

Newt on 05/11/2014 08:11:43 MDT Print View

We found 3 of these eastern newts. They were cool.Newt1Newt2

Nathan Custer
(nastynate) - F

Gear on 05/11/2014 08:15:24 MDT Print View

Here is our pike of gear. I don't weigh anything *gasp*! But it's pretty light. Myog quilts, solong tent, xlite and solite pads, 550ml esbit cook kit. Triple my normal first aid kit, and a stuffed animal round it out.Gear

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Locale: PNW
awesome! on 05/11/2014 19:19:20 MDT Print View

Looks like summer is here. We are planning on taking our friends 5 yr old out on his first trip this summer (we don't have our own kids, we just rent haha). Should be a good time. I'll have to pick a trail with some good amphibians...

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Quick overnighter on the Cumberland Trail on 05/11/2014 19:28:28 MDT Print View

My favorite kind of trip report!!! Keep taking him Nathan!

Good for both of you.

Gordon Gray
(GordonG) - F

Locale: Front Range, CO
Nice on 05/12/2014 15:51:43 MDT Print View

Sweet lil trip. Through the eyes of the kid always looks best. You probably wouldn't of discovered half of them lil critters on your own.