Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Tent for North Carolina
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: lightheart duo - lunar duo - SS2 on 05/10/2014 06:01:14 MDT Print View

The Lightheart Duo with seam sealing done by Lightheart Gear would be $330.00 plus shipping to your door.

http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php/tents/lightheart-duo-tents/product/view/6/5

Shipping to my location would be $8.60. It may be even less to NC. ;-?

The advertised weight is 2 pounds.

Lightheart Gear Duo

This tent could be lighter on your back and on your wallet. ;-)

I'm selling my Lightheart Gear Solo on Gear Swap but only because I've transitioned over to a hammock. If you have any questions about how the Solo performed for me send me a PM. I'm pretty sure my answers would readily transition over to the Duo.

Party On,

Newton ;-)

Paul Ashton
(PDA123) - F

Locale: Eastern Mass
QuarterDome on 05/10/2014 17:58:59 MDT Print View

The REI Quarter Dome T2 is a great tent at a goodish price, if you are less than 6 ft. OK for me, but you will brush either end of the inner if over 6 ft. You need the T2 Plus which is several inches longer. Available at reduced price in the REI Outlet at the moment.

Ken Bennett
(ken_bennett) - F

Locale: southeastern usa
Re: Lunar duo on 05/10/2014 20:48:59 MDT Print View

I'm 6-2 and find the Lunar Duo is plenty long enough for me with extra space at my head and feet. It's huge inside for two people, with two large doors and vestibules, Fairly easy setup once you've done it a few times. 45 ounces sealed and with stakes. No separate inner, and we do get condensation frequently here in NC, but the space is worth it.

We do have a Zpacks Hexamid Twin on order. It's smaller than the Lunar Duo, so it might be a bit tight for two, but at 20 ounces it'll be a palace for me as a solo tent, and can hold both of us when we need the weight savings. Zpacks also makes a 20 ounce 2-person tent, the Duplex, with two doors and vestibules. Might be something to look at. Not sure of the inside length.

Tyler Miller
(FightingTheTide) - F - M

Locale: Southeast
Quick update - One question on 05/11/2014 05:17:03 MDT Print View

Thanks to all for the suggestions and insight.

I'm leaning toward the LHG Duo for it's smaller footprint. The ZPacks tents look appealing, except for the price. I think realistically I could maybe do the Hexamid Solo-Plus w/o groundsheet, and make my own out of silnylon.

Here's a question about a solo shelter - I have a MYOG 9.5' x 5.5' flat tarp. Would that work well enough to cover me in an MLD Serenity Shelter? Or are there other solo bugnet shelters out there to consider? Better yet, I might just make my own.

Edited by FightingTheTide on 05/11/2014 05:45:41 MDT.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Quick update - One question on 05/11/2014 07:05:12 MDT Print View

Hey Tyler,

Assuming that your ridge line would be along the 9' 5" length you could have trouble with rain spatter. ;-?

What pitch would you be using?

Weight and price are inversely proportional. :-0

The MLD Serenity Shelter is quite light at 8 ozs.

A side zipped Borah Gear Bug bivy...

http://borahgear.com/bugbivy.html

...won't set you back half as much and weighs 6.5 ozs.

My favorite when I was still using a tarp was the Meteor Bivy.

MYOG Meteor Bivy

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/images/stories/pdf/Pattern_Meteor.pdf

Ron used to manufacture and sell these but I can't find them on his site anymore as a product for sale. I believe they used to sell for @ $110.00

Party On,

Newton ;-)

Tyler Miller
(FightingTheTide) - F - M

Locale: Southeast
Thanks! on 05/11/2014 07:33:22 MDT Print View

Exactly what I needed to see.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
zpacks on 05/11/2014 07:46:19 MDT Print View

Joe claims you'd have to be 7' tall to touch the ends of his duplex or solplex. My friend had a duplex on our last hike and that puppy was SWEET!!! Tons of room, very airy, and VERY long.

Edited by Jenmitol on 05/11/2014 07:46:51 MDT.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
duo on 05/11/2014 07:57:22 MDT Print View

Lightheart Duo is a poor design for 2P. Sure 2 people can lie down, but no one can sit up without hitting the net due to the narrow top.

Maybe it would work for one person that likes to sleep in the middle. or one person with a dog.

There is a reason you never see or hear about that particular shelter.

Edited by livingontheroad on 05/11/2014 08:03:37 MDT.

Jeff Sims
(jeffreytsims) - MLife

Locale: So. Cal
ZPacks Duplex on 05/11/2014 08:45:18 MDT Print View

This may or may not make sense as it is not on the cheap side but the shelter is pretty amazing. I am 6 ft 5, sleep in the spin cycle starting flat on my back and then who knows where we go from there. I sleep on a Synmat UL7 these days and there is plenty of room in this shelter. No fear of touching anything. it is big enough for 2 tall people and has plenty of storage space. I have showed it to several people, all of whom now have them on order. If it fits your budget, I would look no further