Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
moral compass continued
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jim Ells
(ellsfamily) - F
moral compass continued on 07/31/2005 18:56:54 MDT Print View

John, I'm a little severe at times. However, I did mean what I said. It strikes me that as a society, a country, a people, we are a take and use because we can type of human. I'm not perfect, but the older I get(52), the more I see people around me in NH abusing the land, roads, homes, businesses, etc. of others as if it is their 'right' as an American. New Hampshire's state motto is "Live free or Die", taken from the Revolutionary War, and it seems to be taken literally here today by many.
The jump to Enron was meant to imply that if it is OK for us to take tyvek envelopes from the Post Office because they are there, well, some CEO's think like that only on a larger scale. Screw the public, the shareholders etc.
I don't know you, but the song sounds familiar. I'm not sure if I should apologize, but I won't. I think it is wrong to do what you thought was okay, just as I think the President is wrong, many leaders of industry and business are wrong, and our society in general is on the wrong path.
Jim Ells

John Brown
(johnbrown2005) - F

Locale: Portland, OR
Moral compass continued... on 08/12/2005 18:38:22 MDT Print View

Jim,
Despite your having pigeonholed me as singing a "familiar song" that you find repellent, we share a lot of views. I too, have grave concerns about the path that the captains of industry, as well as our "elected" leaders are taking us down. Similarly, I'm concerned about the lack of environmental stewardship shown by large segments of the public.

If we're ever going to generate the critical mass needed to change things, we're going to need to spend more time looking for connections with like-minded folks, less time judging others based on limited information and then drawing the circle even tighter.