Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Tarptent Moment DW 2P
Display Avatars Sort By:
Paul Hatfield
(clear_blue_skies) - F
Comparisons on 05/08/2014 15:27:20 MDT Print View

I think Henry had this in the works for at least 4 years, so I'm sure it's well thought out.

Personally I don't find it nearly as aesthetically pleasing as the Moment 1P or the Scarp 2P, but it's a victim of geometry. If I owned one, perhaps I would name it "Big Bertha".

> BTW, the second vestibule is something I would sacrifice
> for a significant weight savings

Well the Force Ten Helium Carbon 200 Tent has one vestibule:

It's probably more like a 1.5 person tent.

Going larger, the Vaude Power Lizard SUL 2-3P has a wider floor than the TarpTent and weighs a claimed 44 oz:

In addition to comparing tents with similar pole structures, it's interesting to compare tents of similar weights. The GoLite Imogene UL 3P comes to mind, which gives a lot more floor area, but less ventilation options. The Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 is just about the same weight too.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Re: X-pole for DW 2P on 05/08/2014 16:59:11 MDT Print View

Is the process for shelters anything like headnets?

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: @Tarptent
Tarptent Moment DW 2P on 05/08/2014 18:18:49 MDT Print View

Always horses for courses.
If you try to squeeze in two person inside the lightest design the DM is not it..
But if you do you may just end up having something that looks like this :

Small double

On the other hand, the larger Vaude Power Lizard SUL 2-3P is listed at 505 euro, about $700USD, having one entry point only will not work for some anyway.
DM : Double Moment
(one of the tents discussed in this thread)

Edited by Franco on 05/08/2014 21:10:31 MDT.

Paul Hatfield
(clear_blue_skies) - F
Similar designs on 05/08/2014 19:59:07 MDT Print View

What is DM?

Yeah, the inner of the Force Ten Helium Carbon 200 Tent is probably the same width at the ends as the Vango Helium Superlite 200: 80 cm (31.5 inches)

I see the Vaude Power Lizard SUL 2-3P from a retailer for $405. I can't find any reviews of it though.

There's also the Robens' Buzzard:

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Tarptent Moment DW 2P on 05/13/2014 11:30:24 MDT Print View

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I'm not trying to say that the Double Moment should have been designed differently. It's just that I can't have what I want and I'm whining!
And thanks Henry and Franco for the tent design lesson. I now have a better understanding of why it was made the way it was. The tent fabric at the ends being “in your face” comment made the design make sense to me.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - F

Locale: Colorado
Double Moment on 06/25/2015 20:54:28 MDT Print View

Has anyone on BPL bought one of these? I've been looking high and low for reviews, and there don't seem to be any.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
As a Moment DW and SW owner... on 06/26/2015 14:48:19 MDT Print View

I feel the ends of the Moment 2P are just too large and will not be be "wind worthy". I'll stick with my heavily modded (winterized) Scarp 2. And even the Scarp 2's low ends must be secured with 3 guy lines to be secure in a windstorm.

Does the Moment 2P answer a question that has not been asked?

The Moment DW and SW have far smaller ends that can be secured with Velcro and will withstand a fair amount of wind.

For maximum wind/weather protection I've sewn Heavy Duty Velcro closure strips to the silnylon end flaps and tent area on THREE sides so it would take a full gale directly at one end to threaten to open it. That's because I plan to use it as a winter solo tent and don't want the possibility of spindrift snow entering the tent. Even so it often seems to find a way in to coat everything with a powdery layer by morning. It takes a "waterproof" zipper to stop it.

NOTE: I just realized this is the very first Tarptent design with which I have taken substantial issue. This is almost blasphemy to me. ;o) Mea culpa, mea culpa.

Edited by Danepacker on 06/26/2015 15:18:04 MDT.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Tarptent Moment DW 2P on 06/26/2015 16:24:42 MDT Print View

"Does the Moment 2P answer a question that has not been asked?"
The question had been asked, something like this one :
I am 6'5" ,hike with a partner and like the single hoop design, is there a tent like that for me ?
(no I am not 6'5" but apparently some are...)
This is a frame from the 3d video clip on the product page :
Tarptent DM
note the extra headroom those 6' dummies have .
To be specific, they have exactly one extra foot laying down because the outward sloping inner (!) has a fully useable 84" floor.

Edited by Franco on 06/26/2015 16:38:57 MDT.

jimmer ultralight
(jimmer) - F
Franco.. on 06/26/2015 16:55:15 MDT Print View

Great info as always.

On a diffetent subject, any idea when a 2 man Protrail might be made?

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Tarptent Moment DW 2P on 06/26/2015 17:39:03 MDT Print View

Henry gets back to his design phase at the end of the US hiking season.
Upscaling the Pro Trail design for two probably does not work all that well and we do already have the Squall for a minimalistic front entry shelter.
There is however a somewhat "Pro Trail" look 2 person tent waiting somewhere inside Henry's CAD programme.

jimmer ultralight
(jimmer) - F
Interesting.. on 06/26/2015 21:20:39 MDT Print View

Thanks for the info,Franco.