Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Liner Socks?
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Vance
(Servingko) - F

Locale: Intermountain West
Liner socks on 05/18/2014 16:01:48 MDT Print View

I too was old school with liners and thick wool socks. I now wear double liners and have skipped the heavy/med sock.

I tried single smartwool last year and it was the first time in decades that I got blisters on my heels and between my toes. I'll be going back to double liners. I prefer the silver ones from REI but have used poly dress socks with good results. They wear great and dry very quickly, unlike the wool socks I have that are often still damp in the morning.

I love my Smartwool's for cycling but not hiking. Every person and shoe/foot combo is going to be a little different and I would recommend experimenting a bit to find what works best for you.

Nick Smolinske
(Smo) - F

Locale: Vicinity of the Grand Canyon
Liners + thin socks on 05/20/2014 09:21:36 MDT Print View

I used to wear liners + thick wool socks for trail work and it was great - never got a blister. Since switching to lightweight runners for backpacking I've kept the liners but lost the thick wool socks - now I wear two pairs of liners. Wigwam Gobi's as the inner liner and Wigwam Coolmax as the sock. Or Gobi's as the liner and cheap thrift store acrylic socks as the outer. The coolmax's are *way* too thick to be a liner sock.

I don't see any reason for me to go to single socks when I can just do two lightweight layers instead. They dry fast and I can switch out the liners frequently on a long trip - it doesn't cost much weight to take an extra pair of Gobi's. But then again, liner socks have always worked for me, and everyone's feet are different, so YMMV.