(Woubeir) - F - MLife
Re: SMD fusion on 05/13/2014 11:26:08 MDT Print View

@Nathan
it's DEUTER, not DUETER :-)

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
Re: Re: great overview on 05/13/2014 11:43:15 MDT Print View

Nathan, I would guess that if you let the shoulder yoke out a hair longer and bent the top of the stay in a bit that gap would largely cease to exist.

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
SMD CON-Fusion!!!! on 05/13/2014 13:31:29 MDT Print View

Nathan W. -- another HUGE "thank you" for all the trouble you've taken to share the details of the SMD Fusion 65!

LOL, I thought that -- once I had enough info on the Fusion -- I would feel CLEARER in my mind about the ULA vs SMD debate, but now I realize that it has only created more CON-Fusion!!!!

It sounds as though the pack would fit me very well (the Deuter Women's ACT Lite 60+10 does, as well, but it's about 1.5lbs heavier). But I'm still concerned about how much room there will be, esp. with a BearVault 500. I don't mind the dinky shoulder pockets, because I don't really use those anyway. It sounds like I could figure out a quick fix for the sternum strap.

So the remaining issues are: room in the main compartment; and the small side pockets. I might be able to do some MYOG modifications on the side pockets, but the main compartment "is what it is"...

Nathan, I think I'm in a similar place to you -- ULA Catalyst versus SMD Fusion 65...

Nathan W
(werne1nm) - M

Locale: Michigan
Re: SMD CON-Fusion!!!! on 05/13/2014 13:36:36 MDT Print View

What's the dimensions of the bear vault. I could simulate it here at home

Edited by werne1nm on 05/13/2014 13:37:09 MDT.

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

BearVault 500 Size on 05/13/2014 14:20:48 MDT Print View

Nathan - you're winning the Super-Nice Guy of the Month award!

The BV500 is kind of a whopper:

It's a cylinder (duh!) 12.5 inches high, and 8.5 inches diameter.

I would want to the Fusion 65's main compartment to be able to hold:

- the BearVault
- a down sleeping bag
- a Synmat LW
- spare clothing (including warm layers)
- cook kit, stove, canister

If all that doesn't fit, then it wouldn't work for my longer trips (it might work for shorter trips, but do I really want to spend $250 for a separate pack just for short trips????)

Nathan W
(werne1nm) - M

Re: BearVault 500 Size on 05/13/2014 14:31:31 MDT Print View

this is going to sound ridiculous but I have a juicer that meets those requirements almost spot on.....

should i stuff a juicer down this pack?!?!?!

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

RE: Re: BearVault 500 Size on 05/13/2014 14:47:38 MDT Print View

Nathan,

I don't know if you should stuff a juicer into the pack, but what I DO know, is that if all the members of BPL came to your house with fruit, you could apparently provide plenty of juice for everyone!!!! ;^)

Nathan W
(werne1nm) - M

Fusion Photos on 05/13/2014 15:10:38 MDT Print View

Pack full of pillows and towels with a smart water bottle in it.

aaa

d

water System

Shovel pocket full

sdf

e

width of the hip belt at the spine

width of the hip belt at the spine

Hip belt on the inside of the pocket, you can see the material that forms the plastic part the the hip belt separates and creates the articulated part of the belt.

sdf

Pockets are huge on the hip belt

sdf

ss

q

d

f

eeeee

The inside of the bag, the "interior security pocket" houses a pocket and the spine

ss

w

e

I was able to get a tums container in the security pocket (for reference) but could not zip it up with the container laying length ways in the pocket, not a big deal. space enough for a key, id, and some cash or credit

sqw

THE SPINE!

mmmm

spine

stay

Adjustable sternum strap

adda

Triple sewn = to thick to get into the tri glide

ddddd

ssss

ll

Edited by werne1nm on 05/13/2014 15:25:48 MDT.

Nathan W
(werne1nm) - M

juicer on 05/13/2014 15:23:21 MDT Print View

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtxttlPL-w4

only for you Valerie

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

RE: juicer on 05/13/2014 15:43:28 MDT Print View

^
ROTFL!!!!

Dude, you sure go backpacking with some strange stuff!!!! At least with all those towels you'll be very, very clean! (Still giggling...) ;^)

If that doesn't answer every question I had, then I don't think they can be answered (by anyone ever).

Big, big, big THANKS to Nathan W!!!!

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Initial reactions to the Fusion on 05/13/2014 16:25:39 MDT Print View

Thanks for the initial reviews Nathan and Derek. I was recently in the market for pack that can carry loads up to 30-35lbs, and was considering the Circuit, Windrider, and Fusion packs. Ended up going with the Circuit because, for me, it's a bit more refined than the other two packs in a lot of areas, although probably doesn't carry quite as well. No slouch in its own right though. Either way, your reviews make me feel a bit better about my decision.

If SMD will make changes as necessary seems like they will have a great all-around pack. Light years ahead of their old models for sure.

Ryan

Edited by ViolentGreen on 05/13/2014 16:42:00 MDT.

Jake S
(spags) - M
Retail on 05/13/2014 16:49:17 MDT Print View

"Read " far too complex for US production" as being "far too expensive and hard on our profit margin for US production." Plenty of great packs made in America, just at higher prices then the market SMD is aiming for. I found the comment unfortunate and offensive."

But you just might be able to find this pack at your local retailer. At least that's how Ron explained it.

Scott Chassey
(schassey) - F - MLife

Locale: Bay Area
Re: Retail on 05/13/2014 16:59:19 MDT Print View

I find the comments below Ron's post to be especially enlightening.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Initial reactions to the Fusion on 05/13/2014 23:22:45 MDT Print View

Will those water bottle pockets hold a Platy?

Nathan W
(werne1nm) - M

Re: Re: Re: Initial reactions to the Fusion on 05/14/2014 03:32:52 MDT Print View

Yes definately

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: Re: Initial reactions to the Fusion on 05/14/2014 09:53:07 MDT Print View

It would be interesting to find out for sure. My ULA Circuit, which had a slanted cut on the water bottle pocket was fine carrying a water bottle. But the Plays would fall out when hiking. One of the reasons I got rid of the pack. I like a pocket where most of the bottle is inside.

Chris Martin
(hope_for_gorilla) - F

Locale: Finger Lakes
Side pockets on 05/14/2014 10:36:58 MDT Print View

Another note: the side pockets on the Fusion 65 are larger than those of the 50. Brian said that the 65's pockets are big enough to hold two 1L Smartwater bottles side by side.

Chad B
(CenAZwalker) - F

Locale: Southwest
RE: Side pockets on 05/14/2014 11:52:08 MDT Print View

Here is a shot of a 1L and 700ml Smartwater bottles in side pocket of the Fusion 50. It certainly maxes out the pocket, but I have not had an issue yet with them falling out.

fusion 50 side pocket

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Initial reactions to the Fusion on 05/14/2014 17:37:28 MDT Print View

"My ULA Circuit, which had a slanted cut on the water bottle pocket was fine carrying a water bottle. But the Plays would fall out when hiking. One of the reasons I got rid of the pack. I like a pocket where most of the bottle is inside."

A mystery for the ages: Why on God's green earth doesn't Chris put the Ohm pockets on all his packs? They are flat out the best pockets I've ever seen. and used.

Nathan W
(werne1nm) - M

Fusion 65 Update on 05/16/2014 11:41:04 MDT Print View

Little update since the initial review.

I returned the Fusion 65. I wasn't completely happy with my initial review and have since sent it back to SMD. Its a great pack and I understand what the pack brings to the light weight options out there but it wasn't for me.

Since then I have purchased a ULA Catalyst. Its huge. Possibly to big for my needs but I'll figure that out when I have two or three week long trips under the pack.

I can say though that I really like this pack. I am sticking with the Catalyst for now!

They had XL shoulder straps for me that fit which was a problem with the SMD pack

Their water bottle pockets are very functional and pretty big.

It offers a lot of the same features of the SMD pack minus the adjustable torso.

I liked the hip belt on the fusion better, but this one is a very close second.

One thing i wish it had is lower compression straps for the body of the pack. not a problem.

Yup, so i'm pretty happy with the catalyst.

VALERIE It will DEFINITELY fit your bear canister with room to spare. I think you would really like it.

I was worried when the volume of the main compartment is smaller than the fusion on paper, but...i think its actually bigger! (it could be wider, and the fusion could have a more narrow but taller compartment)

Its great.

Thats my update! if you have any questions please feel free to ask. but i do not have the fusion in my possession anymore.

Edited by werne1nm on 05/16/2014 11:42:14 MDT.