Forum Index » Chaff » Conspiracy and The Party Of No!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Common Core is creating morons. on 05/11/2014 10:17:29 MDT Print View

This is another classic Matthew copy-paste job, this time from The Blaze. Apparently no personal experience or knowledge about Common Core, just echoing what other people are saying about what other people are saying about what other people are saying…

________

From what I have seen, as a parent and teacher that has sat through multiple trainings and meeting about it, Common Core has significantly raised the bar in terms of what is expected from students. But it's particularly confusing to parents and teachers that are new to it because it does use new methodologies that many are not familiar with from their own education. But those methodologies were not pulled from thin air; they're research based and actually mimic what many other countries are doing that are increasingly leaving us in the dust. If you can teach a third grader to break down and solve a multi-tiered math problem they'll be well on their way to having the skills it takes to be doing Algebra and higher math by 5th and 6th grade. Like Japan. Like China. Like many European nations that are leaving us behind in education. We're losing an educational race and part of it is due to the fact that our standards are less rigorous than those of other nations. We haven't evolved. America has been stuck in a rut of teaching methodology that really hasn't evolved much in 100 years. It's 2014 and we're barely starting to introduce computer literacy. Meanwhile the world moves on. Kids in the rest of the developed world are typically doing higher level math at a much earlier age than in American schools. Much of the Common Core curriculum is designed to accelerate the process.

When you're losing a race, you don't slow down and you don't stick to the same strategy that put you in last place. With proper instruction, problems like the one Matthew posted are designed to put kids on track to be learning Algebra 2-3 years earlier than when we currently teach it. Is it the way I did it? The way Grandpa did it? Not at all. But we don't live in the same world, either.

Is Common Core a silver bullet? Absolutely not and it's still absolutely a work in progress. Will it work? Who knows. There are so many factors that go into national educational success (including how you even define it) that it's hard to say. But I can tell you that my kids are doing higher level math(relatively speaking) than they were two years ago. At least it's an attempt to finally address the fact that our education system is becoming increasingly outdated. The entire system was started in a time period in which most people worked on farms or in factories and only needed a fairly rudimentary academic skill set to make a middle class living. If high schools only graduated 15% of students with advanced math and science skills it was acceptable, because that's all our society needed and those without advanced educations could still make a decent living elsewhere. Try that today. It's an outdated model. Plenty of adults today will testify that they have done fine for themselves without advanced academic or technical education. But that was then. Most studies I've seen show that to be increasingly a trend of the past. How many kids in today's economy will be able to pull $50,000+ per year and reach a solid middle class lifestyle without advanced academic or technical skills?

Edited by xnomanx on 05/11/2014 11:57:19 MDT.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Common Core is creating morons. on 05/11/2014 10:59:05 MDT Print View

And here's another good example of how Common Core is creating Morons:

This is a problem I'm copying directly from my son's current math packet. He's in 7th grade and part of a pilot Common Core math program. His teacher is struggling, as she's new to the methodology and students are struggling because the bar has been set much higher. But they're struggling in a good way. Lo and behold, they're multiple grade levels in skill above what other kids and teachers are doing. During testing based on Common Core standards, you can see the typical bell curve of achievement in their class. But for comparison, they recently tested using a non-Common Core benchmark (STAR, the traditional state benchmark test) and the kids blew it out of the water. Over 90% scored advanced.

Experiment 1

1. Consider the points A(2,3) and B (4,7) and the line segment, AB, between them. WHat is the slope of this segment?

2. Locate a third point C (x,y) on the coordinate grid, so the points A, B, and C form the vertices of a right triangle, with AB as its hypotenuse.

3. Explain how you know that the triangle you formed contains a right angle?

4. Now rotate this right triangle 90 degrees about the vertex point (2,3). Explain how you know you have rotated the triangle 90 degrees.

5. Compare the slope of the hypotenuse of this rotated right triangle with the slope of the hypotenuse of the pre-image. What do you notice?

Or how about a simple one:

For each linear equation write the slope of a line perpendicular to the given line.
14. y = - 2/7 + 5

This hardly looks like what I was doing in 7th grade.
Mind you, this is just one of many standard homework questions from a nightly work packet. Test and projects are far more involved. Beyond the math/geometry skills needed, think about the English comprehension skills necessary to properly do this, and the fact that must justify answers verbally as well as through equations. Compare it with a typical multiple choice, single answer problem. I can find even more difficult problems than this off of some of his tests. Based on this program, he's on track to be doing calculus in 10th grade.

My son has an A in the course.

Sigh. He's yet another moron create4d by these standards.

The bad news? It's what average kids in Japan are doing in 5th grade.

We've got catching up to do if we expect America to continue to be a global player.

Edited by xnomanx on 05/11/2014 11:46:32 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Common Core is creating morons. on 05/11/2014 11:23:31 MDT Print View

NM. No real sense in it.

Edited by idester on 05/11/2014 11:26:36 MDT.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: Common Core is creating morons. on 05/11/2014 15:38:06 MDT Print View

aw, c'mon doug. you're losing it.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Seriously, Jerry? on 05/12/2014 01:15:41 MDT Print View

Jerry, the example I gave was from an actual CC assignment. Seriously? A good exercise of someone's brain? Give me a break. Here's another one from a New Jersey mom showing what Common Core State Standards aligned curriculum REALLY looks like (from her Facebook post):

"I. AM. LIVID. I – as much as I try – cannot help my children with their homework. I’ll give just ONE math problem my son had to answer (which he had to teach me how to do – nothing like making a parent feel like a total dumbass):”Which numbers complete the calculation 27×6?”

A. 42, 120, 162
B. 13, 127, 140
C. 42, 112, 154
D. 27, 120, 147

Step 1 – multiply 7×6 (= 42)
Step 2 – multiply 2×6 (= 12)
Step 3 – My son’s words “now add a zero because it’s actually 6×20 because you already did 7×6, so you would now have to multiply 6×20″.
Step 4 – Add the 2 partial products: 42 (7×6) and 120 (6×20) to get the answer, which is 162.

How the hell does Step 3 make any sense? What happened to 2×6? Isn’t it obvious? Twelve became 120 because, for some stupid reason, we already multiplied 7×6, so we add a zero into the mix!! WTH??!

Now that my son has explained it to me (which he struggled to do), I know the correct answer is A.

Why on EARTH are they “teaching” multiplication this way? And they have the nerve to call it mental math?! I think a 2 step process (the way we were taught) is much easier than a 4 step process to get the same answer. But again, if they don’t show the 4 steps, it is marked as wrong. Then my son proceeds to tell me that he feels as though he’s being “brainwashed” and that he’s upset they are “erasing everything I learned last year”. He’s stressed and feels stupid. Added bonus to my anger: his teacher told all of the parents to set a timer for 40 minutes. If the child cannot complete his/her homework within the 40 minutes, he/she should stop because it shows they’re not getting it. If we follow this and stop the timer after 40 minutes, he gets a zero for not completing his homework. And if he/she isn’t “getting it”, they get no additional help to make sure they DO get it. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

My children are 8 & 9, and they are writing letters (their idea) that they would like to read themselves at our B.O.E. meeting next week. In addition, I’m bringing their report cards from the last 3 years to show that my children ARE smart and that it’s not a matter of a “white suburban mother finding that her child isn’t as smart as she thought”. I’ve never sworn in front of my children before, but come homework time I’ve begun swearing like a lunatic (minus the F word).

Sorry for the lengthy rant about situations we’ve all read about before – my frustration level just met its breaking point…."

The mom provided additional information on the publisher and type of Math her son is being taught:

"This was a sheet they were given as homework as part of Topic 6 instruction right out of the Envision Math book published by Pearson. I’m beyond furious with every aspect of it – the invasion of privacy, shared data, parents’ rights being revoked, threats of Child Protective Services involvement, children’s feelings of failure and self hatred – the list could go on and on."

Jerry, doesn’t it seem to you that these standards that are supposed to be clearer and fewer, that are supposed to create "global citizens" are, in fact creating students who are frustrated and will see math as not worth trying because it’s too convoluted?

Edited by bigfoot2 on 05/12/2014 01:18:54 MDT.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

personal experience on 05/12/2014 01:36:28 MDT Print View

"This is another classic Matthew copy-paste job, this time from The Blaze. Apparently no personal experience or knowledge about Common Core, just echoing what other people are saying about what other people are saying about what other people are saying…
"

Craig,
I said it was an actual Common Core problem, and it was. Where it came from was not JUST from the Blaze, but from one of the CC standardized tests you seem to love so much. How many MSN articles have been quoted on here by left-leaning members? Tons. It makes no difference to the truth of the matter where it came from. Also, I have no "personal experience" with necrophilia, child molestation or cannibalism, either, but I sure as hell have a strong opinion on them. In my opinion, Common Core is sorely lacking COMMON SENSE. It's just mental masturbation.

Edited by bigfoot2 on 05/12/2014 01:37:47 MDT.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

troll on 05/12/2014 01:41:50 MDT Print View

"Matthew you never cease to amaze me.....sigh

http://www.mercurynews.com/science/ci_25741569/dozens-protesters-ride-atvs-off-limits-canyon-utah

more from the stupid asshats that you idolize....what is next, ATV's on your favorite hiking trails in Yosemite?"

Ken,
I',m just going to respond to your infantile penis comments from now on in MEMES.

ken

ken

Oh, and here's one for you, Ken, just to totally blow your mind.....

Today is America's oldest living WW2 veteran's birthday....here it comes, Ken....

Happy 108th Birthday to Richard "Ritchy" Overton! Oldest Living WWII Vet & all around Badass (as well as a BLACK conservative, gun, wiskey and cigar loving REPUBLICAN)! KEN'S MIND=BLOWN

v

No, Ken, his weapon is NOT California or New York Safe Act compliant (it's a 50 round drum magazine). Why don't you try and tell him why it's not right for him to own one nowadays.....go ahead, I DARE you....(yeah, that's what I thought).

Edited by bigfoot2 on 05/12/2014 02:07:47 MDT.

BJ Clark
(bj.clark) - MLife

Locale: Colorado
Re: Seriously, Jerry? on 05/12/2014 07:38:42 MDT Print View

The funny part for me about these math methods, both the one about 14 and the 27x6 problem is that we were taught using those methods in the 1950's. Different vocabulary in part but the method was the same. In learning the method the steps look numerous, but once the brain learns the concept, the short cut (algorithm) will be in place. All that is being asked of the student is why the algorithm works. I know our school took pride in our math scores. And yes we were tested back then! I have issues with the CC and it's implementation as well as the assessment piece, but nothing new here in the math!

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Seriously, Jerry? on 05/12/2014 08:00:59 MDT Print View

That's how I do it in my head - 6 X 2 then add a zero

What's really cool is when your child is able to explain things to you. Isn't parenting great? They start out a little spongue and then turn into a fully functioning human that knows more than you : )

. Kirby
(Kirby805) - F
Re: Common Core is creating morons. on 05/12/2014 08:13:56 MDT Print View

So you admit that this is all part of Obamas chicago style plans to make kids learn teh maths just like the neomarxists in Japan. I knew it! Just what Obama wants, a bunch of kamakazi shinto sheeple! /s

People who think there are death panels in the health care bill (feel free to insert your favorite GOP conspiracy theory) are in no position to evaluate this country's teaching methods.

Ian Van Halen
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Common Core is creating morons. on 05/12/2014 09:57:07 MDT Print View

I worked with a gent for several years who retired a few years ago. Fortunately most of my day was spent on the road but he ensured that any time my coworkers or I were at our desks, life was a living hell. He would randomly blurt out comments like "Well ambulances need to just stop transporting people who can't pay" sprinkled with the occasional "Who left their damn pen next to the XYZ workstation?" After ignoring him for the first year of my career, he finally jumped on my last nerve baiting me into inane debates on whatever the drivel du jour was.

I soon came to the realization that he wasn't at all interested in exploring opposing viewpoints or ever felt the need to reexamine his beliefs. He was just a sad lonely man whose only interest was to try to coax the world around him to his level of misery instead of making the necessary life changes to find personal happiness. I then realized that having any conversation with him above and beyond work related issues and "how was your weekend?" was pointless. Once I stopped engaging him, the noise pollution at work improved 100% absent the occasional "Ya know Rush said something on the radio the other day..."

This thread reminded me of him for some reason.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
HAHAHAHAHA on 05/12/2014 16:35:27 MDT Print View

Thanks, Ian. That was brilliant.

Alexander S
(Cascadicus) - M
Re: Re: Common Core on 06/23/2014 14:02:20 MDT Print View

""It's just one of many examples of the liberal indoctrination program disguised as standardized testing from around the country."

If that's the basic premise from which you're operating then there's nothing I can tell you to have a productive conversation.

Have a good one".

Lol, agreed. The one constant you can always count on is certain conservatives believing that colleges breed liberalism in the way that poor people will always think that money doesn't buy happiness. In both cases usually through lack of first hand experience.

Edited by Cascadicus on 06/23/2014 14:04:08 MDT.