Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Titanium Fold Down Coffee Drip from Snow Peak
Display Avatars Sort By:
Slaton Whatley
(AlpinistoOutdoors) - M

Locale: Catalinas, Saguaro, Grand Canyon
Fold Down Coffee Drip from Snow Peak on 05/05/2014 15:04:01 MDT Print View

Have any of you seen this or had any experience with it? I've gotten pretty obsessed lately with trying to make good coffee in the backcountry. So far it's usually a french press or an aeropress (not a fan of the taste though) but a lightweight collapse-able drip coffee stand?!? Pretty interesting!

http://www.snowpeak.com/cookware/coffee/fold-down-coffee-drip-cs-113.html

Edited by AlpinistoOutdoors on 05/05/2014 15:05:03 MDT.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Fold Down Coffee Drip from Snow Peak on 05/05/2014 15:13:45 MDT Print View

Coffee

This looks much easier to pack than an AeroPress, but you do need to deal with a larger soggy filter. And although you can manage temperature, getting a well timed consistent soak is harder.

drifting....

Warning: I'm an aeropress fan (inverted). If you are getting bad coffee out of one, you need to change the temperature and/or the brew time. IMHO you have enough control to produce Great coffee every time.

....end drift

Edited by greg23 on 05/05/2014 15:18:39 MDT.

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Fold Down Coffee Drip from Snow Peak on 05/05/2014 15:57:40 MDT Print View

I use this one:

http://gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/ultralight_java_drip/coffee

It's only 0.4 OZ and works very well. You don't need a paper filter with it, but I use one to make cleanup easier. And it makes excellent coffee that way.

Serge G.
(sgiachetti) - M

Locale: Boulder, CO
gsi on 05/05/2014 16:13:10 MDT Print View

I second the gsi suggestion. Its a simple, light & surprisingly durable design. Coffee tastes good & its also quite easy to clean. you can also basically use it for a French press style brew by making cowboy coffee and filtering out the grinds as you pour it into your mug. But then, I guess that would probably just be called cowboy coffee.

Edited by sgiachetti on 05/05/2014 16:13:53 MDT.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: gsi on 05/05/2014 16:13:59 MDT Print View

Java Drip -

JavaDrip

This Thread covers the same grounds.

Edited by greg23 on 05/05/2014 16:16:52 MDT.

Michael Gunderloy
(ffmike) - MLife
Re: Re: Fold Down Coffee Drip from Snow Peak on 05/05/2014 16:43:54 MDT Print View

I'm using a bit of titanium foil rolled up into a cylinder and anchored with a couple of paper clips, plus a repurposed computer fan cover to hold it over my pot. 39 grams including a filter cone, and rolls nicely inside of the Caldera Cone stove.

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Re: gsi on 05/05/2014 16:53:17 MDT Print View

BTW, 0.4 oz is 12 grams. Very hard to beat. And it works extremely well. :^)

hwc 1954
(wcollings) - M
This GSI on 05/05/2014 16:54:03 MDT Print View

I use this GSI:

http://www.rei.com/product/798277/gsi-outdoors-collapsible-javadrip-slim-drip-coffee-maker#specsTab

I pregrind and pre-measure the beans at home, folding up one brew into one filter to put into the GSI. I make the coffee directly into a 16 ounce thermos bottle.

The GSI silicone plastic cone is 4.8 ounces -- lighter than that titanium thing, and folds up into its own self contained flat disc. Nice little product.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: This GSI on 05/05/2014 17:20:26 MDT Print View

^^^

JavaDripCollapsible

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Fold Down Coffee Drip from Snow Peak on 05/05/2014 17:25:14 MDT Print View

Here is another option... I started using this a couple months ago and have fallen in love with this.

Get one of these GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker and cut off most (but not all) of the stupid little leg/stands.

coffee 001

coffee 002

coffee 003

coffee 004

coffee 005

coffee 006

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Re: Fold Down Coffee Drip from Snow Peak on 05/05/2014 17:28:44 MDT Print View

D'oh!! There was only one comment when I hit the reply button to start posting my photos... sorry for the duplicate posts on the GSI filter.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Fold Down Coffee Drip from Snow Peak on 05/05/2014 17:31:58 MDT Print View

Reading this now has me making a cup. Noseeum netting makes a good filter also.

As far as that Snow Peak cone. No, too heavy and bulky and pricey. Could always go with a number 2 plastic cone too.

Edited by kthompson on 05/05/2014 17:33:31 MDT.

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Re: Re: Fold Down Coffee Drip from Snow Peak on 05/05/2014 17:43:54 MDT Print View

"Get one of these GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker and cut off most (but not all) of the stupid little leg/stands."

I like those legs! Shapely... Seriously, they work well for me. I take a few extra oz so I can have a real coffee cup. It works great on those. :^)

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Missing Link on 05/05/2014 17:46:38 MDT Print View

Link's not here so...

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=17668

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=463

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=83551

Art Tyszka
(arttyszka) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Montbell's works well on 05/06/2014 07:32:32 MDT Print View

.14 oz and works well. This was about the lightest I could find vs. using a paper filter. They have a larger version too, but this one easily brews 12 - 14 oz of coffee at a time, at least with the amount of grounds I use.

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=1203&p_id=1124510

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Montbell's works well on 05/06/2014 07:50:20 MDT Print View

^^^^^

CoffeeMontbell

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Fold Down Coffee Drip from Snow Peak on 05/06/2014 08:51:33 MDT Print View

"Noseeum netting makes a good filter also."

Does it have any problem with the hot water? If not lots of DIY project there.

I think there is a crucial division between people who like it I'm gonna say "American" style - filtered within an inch of its life (my dad) and people who like it I'm gonna say "European" (or chunky) style, with more of the oils and fine particulates (that would be me). Seems like the chunky style it slightly winning here so far based on the entirely unscientific and limited sample.

Last summer I had my own personal back country coffee fit, spent some money, acquired a camera backpack full of coffee paraphernalia, and ended up coming back to where I started (tentatively) with 3 in 1 instant mixes. For me using pre-ground coffee set the taste back so much, I decided, that it wasn't worth it. So coffee snob ironically ends up using the crappiest tasting solution.

In the process I did come up with a great car camping kit that is light enough for heavyweight backpacking - total weight I think was about 14 oz. Aero press w/ a tiny Japanese hand operated burr grinder that all nests nicely. Weighs a bit more with the addition of the ... ahem... embarrassing battery-powered milk frother. The result are a really great intimation of espresso out of a regular machine. I just have yet to be convinced there is a middle ground (no pun intended) between the "insane coffee snob kit" and Thai 3-in-1 instant for backpacking.

But I still read all the coffee posts! No coffee nirvana yet for me.

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Locale: Ann Arbor
Coffee on 05/06/2014 09:35:34 MDT Print View

I like drip coffee, with fine home-ground coffee, water temp slightly below boiling, cone and paper filter. I make coffee manually at home (no coffee maker) and do the same on the trail.

I think the MSR "Mugmate" is the easiest to use but PITA to pack. I clipped off one of the tabs and threw away the lid. Can't remember the final weight off-hand but it's close to that half-ounce mark:
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/MSR/Cookware/Cookware-Accessories/MugMate-Coffee/Tea-Filter/product

For when pack space in an issue, I made a silnylon "cone" with a wire rim. I use a paper cone. Single digit grams.

I have that red GSI silicon collapsible filter pictured above for car-camping. I think it's way too heavy for backpacking; it would outweigh my mug and the coffee.

Phillip Asby
(PGAsby) - M

Locale: North Carolina
Full circle on 05/06/2014 10:58:07 MDT Print View

I tried a handful of options - none of the filter stuff but VIA, mugmate, etc...

Just got a Snow Peak Ti French Press - with coarse ground coffee it works great (seller had even made a sweet reflectix cozy). Not the lightest or the smallest but for darn sure the best coffee I've had backpacking... this may just be my "luxury" item.

Art Tyszka
(arttyszka) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Full circle on 05/06/2014 11:54:41 MDT Print View

I agree, there is nothing better than a French press for taste. I have the GSI one and it does a great job at home (when I feel like it) and when car camping with my kids. But for the weight, I take the Montbell filter or admittedly more recently just a bunch of Via packets for speed and simplicity.