TOILET PAPER
Display Avatars Sort By:
marcelo mora
(Ondeck) - F
wow on 05/08/2014 14:02:02 MDT Print View

Never thought I can learn so much about tp!

Patrick M.
(patrat) - M
re: toilet paper - use water on 05/08/2014 14:10:16 MDT Print View

Boulder Bidet. I carry a small amount of tissues or TP for spot checks after.

peter vacco
(fluff@inreach.com) - M

Locale: no. california
Re: Re: Poopy on 05/08/2014 14:16:03 MDT Print View

" Butt..HYOH or.... "

and that dear, is a pun.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Re: Poopy on 05/08/2014 15:15:34 MDT Print View

Ha:)

It was intentional....not a typo

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: TOILET PAPER on 05/08/2014 15:36:12 MDT Print View

As I have 30 mins to kill before my next Dilbert meeting, I'll add my input:

I'm writing this for a specific group that are open minded to learning other points of view and not rigid in their current ways (I'm often guilty of being set in my ways too)

TP has been around for over 1500 years, in the early discovery of paper making by the ancient Chinese. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet_paper

Running water in ancient Roman bath houses has been around for over 2000 years. So simply because in India it is customary to go without running water and TP, is not a reason enough to dismiss the ancient Romans and the Chinese, and instead favor the Hindu.

Given the option, with negligible weight, I gladly use TP. If I was marooned on a deserted island or trapped in India, then I will improvise and accept the increased risk.

TP weight: the more you use, the less you carry.
Disposing: burning and burying are accepted method at most places. Unless required to use WAG blue bag those are exceptions, in which case the poo is the main weight, not the TP.

I like TP as a barrier to keep my fingernails clean. In my region there's no water sources most of the year. So I have to compare the water weight to hand rinse versus the nano weight of TP.

Now I'm ready for my shiity meeting.

Edited by RogerDodger on 05/08/2014 15:37:45 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Toilet Paper Free Expeditions on 05/08/2014 17:02:51 MDT Print View

"I KNOW he loves river rocks, but 3/5 rating under "absorbancy"? Where can I find some of those rocks?"

Maybe he confused river rocks with pumice. One's very absorbent, but -5/5 on the comfort scale, whereas the other's 5/5 on the comfort scale but probably -x/5 on the absorbency scale. Unless maybe it's covered with moss.

The thing that always bothered about Clelland's praise of river rocks is that there are lot of places up high where they're nowhere to be found, particularly when the need arises, or require a lot of time to fish out of streams.

+1 to all those who say WYOB. Religion and waste management don't mix.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Re: Toilet Paper Free Expeditions on 05/08/2014 17:36:12 MDT Print View

In the end I just assume he wanted the river rocks to score highly, and only then realized his metric wouldn't give him the right answer.

"And the East German judge scores rocks 5/5 for softness".

Edited by millonas on 05/08/2014 17:37:34 MDT.

Mitchell Ebbott
(mebbott) - F - M

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Re: Toilet Paper Free Expeditions on 05/08/2014 18:47:20 MDT Print View

"Religion and waste management don't mix."

Quite the contrary, my Torah-flaunting friend.

And thou shalt have a place outside of the camp, and thou shalt go out thither, and thou shalt have a trowel on thy girdle; and it shall come to pass when thou wouldest relieve thyself abroad, that thou shalt dig with it, and shalt bring back the earth and cover thy nuisance.

Deuteronomy 23:12–13

That seminary tuition was totally worth it.

Edited by mebbott on 05/08/2014 18:49:37 MDT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Deuteronomy 23:12–13 on 05/08/2014 19:01:38 MDT Print View

I'll be damned... It does say that.

Bruce Tolley
(btolley) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Toilet Paper on 05/08/2014 19:09:47 MDT Print View

And the BIG LNT guy/gal is watching
The next verse
14 For the LORD your God moves about in your camp to protect you and to deliver your enemies to you. Your camp must be holy, so that he will not see among you anything indecent and turn away from you

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
RE: Deuteronomy 23:12–13 on 05/08/2014 19:18:56 MDT Print View

Yup, I checked that reference, too...

Well, I guess we now know where the expression "cleanliness is next to godliness" comes from...

And good point RogerDodger -- all too often people choose to value one culture over another for no particular reason. Seems to me that, in ancient times, the Asian cultures were often miles ahead of others in terms of medicine.

TKB 1979
(ARIZONA1979) - M

Locale: DESERT SOUTHWEST
Re: Re: Re: Re: Toilet Paper Free Expeditions on 05/08/2014 19:35:02 MDT Print View

"And the East German judge scores rocks 5/5 for softness".

That's hilarious.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Toilet Paper Free Expeditions on 05/08/2014 21:36:31 MDT Print View

"And thou shalt have a place outside of the camp, and thou shalt go out thither, and thou shalt have a trowel on thy girdle; and it shall come to pass when thou wouldest relieve thyself abroad, that thou shalt dig with it, and shalt bring back the earth and cover thy nuisance.

Deuteronomy 23:12–13"

ROTFL. I stand corrected. ;0)

Glenn S
(Glenn64) - M

Locale: Snowhere, MN
Re: Toilet Paper on 05/08/2014 22:08:01 MDT Print View

India also suffers from a huge hygiene and sanitation crisis. Go figure.

As far as the paper towel idea goes, I prefer Bounty brand, who also makes soft napkins, pre-folded to fit perfectly into a freezer bag. Quite convenient and an excellent quicker picker upper.

Mitchell Ebbott
(mebbott) - F - M

Locale: SoCal
Re: Deuteronomy 23:12–13 on 05/09/2014 10:44:08 MDT Print View

Ian: "I'll be damned..."

Not if you bring your deuce of spades!

Dowser Tom
(DaFireMedic) - M

Locale: Southern California
Mutiny with the Bounty! on 05/09/2014 11:20:34 MDT Print View

+1 on the Bounty, cut into 1/4 sheets. I also use the dried wet wipes, reconstituted at the scene. I always pack it out, zip locked then placed in a plastic grocery bag that serves as my general trash container.

Most restaurant and campsite outhouse toilet paper is what we call "John Wayne Toilet Paper". Its rough, it's tough, and doesn't take crap from anyone.

Its been my experience (more often than not) that "when ya gotta go, ya gotta go". I really don't want to spend 5 minutes or more looking around for suitable wiping material, nor do I care to use my bare hands unless I have to due to the need for adequate cleaning and sanitizing of the hand afterward in a place where its not always easy to do so and IMO requires a second person to truly clean the hands in an aseptic fashion. That being said, its good to keep in mind alternative methods, including the bare hand, should you find yourself in a paperless situation.

Joel Benford
(Morte66) - F - M

Locale: Surrey flatlands, England
Finally I understand the nail file on 05/09/2014 12:48:37 MDT Print View

Now I finally understand the BPL obssession with the Swiss Army Knife Classic. The scissors, the nail file, the way everybody in knife/scissor threads mentions using it to trim nails... ...it's not about emergency survival at all, is it? You're using it to keep your nails in perfect trim for barehanded, well, you know.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
TP and weight and sanitation and convienance and culture on 05/10/2014 15:14:40 MDT Print View

All things considered I'll continue to pack TP.

About 3/4 of a three ply roll, MINUS the cardboard inner tube, is enough for 7 to 8 days with judicious use.

TP is a consumable, like food. I can (just) carry enough food for 8 days and easily carry enough TP for 8 days. Problem solved.

Oh, yeah, I DO carry 4 oz. of hand sanitizer for "the final wipe" and my hands after.
2 oz. for 3 day trips.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Toilet Paper Free Expeditions on 05/10/2014 16:04:07 MDT Print View

"And thou shalt have a place outside of the camp, and thou shalt go out thither, and thou shalt have a trowel on thy girdle; and it shall come to pass when thou wouldest relieve thyself abroad, that thou shalt dig with it, and shalt bring back the earth and cover thy nuisance.

Deuteronomy 23:12–13"

In hind sight I am left to wonder, oh rabbi, having brought back the earth and covered thy nuisance, how doth thee clean thy self, that thee not be found unclean, an abomination in the eyes of The Lord and thy brethren, when thou returneth to camp?

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Toilet Paper Free Expeditions on 05/10/2014 17:41:55 MDT Print View

> how doth thee clean thy self,

It's called soap and water.

Cheers