PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
How to start a flame war about books on 07/11/2014 18:15:51 MDT Print View

I think there are a lot of similarities between Wild and Let My People Go Surfing.

Wish both authors would have placed greater emphasis on the outdoorsy aspects of their books and less on the drug addiction/relationships/Chinese factories/etc.

Blah blah blah, I shot heroin. Blah blah blah, we only work with the finest factories in China.

C'mon authors! More stories about dirtbagging it in a station wagon in Montana and fewer horse massacres!

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: How to start a flame war about books on 07/11/2014 18:37:36 MDT Print View

Population of people that are backpackers is small - can't make any money selling to them

You have to appeal to people on some popular theme - like "reality TV" or something

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
Re: How to start a flame war about books on 07/11/2014 18:47:17 MDT Print View

With respect, I don't think it's absolutely necessary to "dumb down" things in order to have a best seller. Stephen Hawking comes to mind -- an international bestseller on an esoteric topic by a genuine Mathematics professor, and yet..."average" folk managed to read and enjoy "A Brief History of Time".

Although there sure are a lot of very popular dumbed-down books/movies out there...

Edited by Wildtowner on 07/15/2014 19:13:15 MDT.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
wow on 07/11/2014 18:50:10 MDT Print View

"I didn't like the book at all - but as others have said mostly because I got very, very tired of her going on and on about how much she misses her mom and how awful her relationships are. "

I am 100% in agreement with Jen. I read A LOT. I have read dozens of hiking books, primarily the PCT ones. But Wild was probably my least favorite. I read it before Oprah

Edited by mpl_35 on 07/11/2014 18:50:41 MDT.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 19:04:02 MDT Print View

In spite of a strong recommendation from my librarian (the one I've woken up next to for several decades) I haven't read the book.

I'm struggling to reconcile these comments with many other positive comments on these forums about Bryson's Walk in the Woods ... I hated it.

Jonathon Self
(Neist) - M

Locale: Oklahoma
Re: Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 19:39:50 MDT Print View

Alexander S: I agree! As It Happens is pretty fantastic. I look forward to anything else they produce.

Rex Sanders: Good to know for future reference. Thanks!

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 19:43:35 MDT Print View

Jonathon, your avatar look like Triumph the Insult Comic Dog's disapproving father.

Whaaat? You vant to go into de showbeeznez? A perfect career...for me to poop on!

FWIW, I thought Walk in the Woods was hilarious, but more as a spoof on the extremes out there rather than as any serious homage to backpacking. It definitely made me laugh out loud. Because he was new to it Bryson was able efficiently to suss out and skewer some of the ridiculousness a lot of us take for granted as "normal".

Edited by millonas on 07/11/2014 19:51:30 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: wow on 07/11/2014 19:51:07 MDT Print View

"I am 100% in agreement with Jen."

First time you've written that I bet.

Cesar Valdez
(PrimeZombie) - F

Locale: Scandinavia
yay humanities on 07/12/2014 00:56:03 MDT Print View

I haven't read the book, nor had I even heard about it until I read this thread. But it being turned into a movie puts me in an interesting position. I happen to have degrees in both film and in literature, and of course have been backpacking for nearly two decades now. So I feel kinda obligated to read the book now, and I will mos def see the movie. I will give a full review of the movie on my blog after I see it. I tend to be a rather harsh critic when it comes to film, and this film will be no different. For instance, I grade films on a 1-10 scale, and in the past 5 years or so I can recall only giving one film my top score of 9.5 (as 10/perfection does not exist). That movie being "The American" starring George Clooney and directed by Anton Corbijn.

I haven't hiked any of the PCT, but I was born in CA (Los Angeles) and spent some time as a child (lived there until I was only 8 years old) in some of the state parks there, which contributed a lot towards my passion for the outdoors.

I'm glad that I don't have to deal with the influx of people hiking the PCT. That would really annoy me. Not that I have problems with people new to hiking/backpacking, but it is inevitable that certain less favorable people are going to end up on the trail. Just a numbers game, really. For every 100 people, there are going to be a certain number of douches and douchettes. Which is why I consider myself lucky to have a variety of isloated and less traveled trails to explore here in Sweden/Norway. And I sure hope no one writes a international best selling book that somehow makes it onto Oprah's book club that has anything to do with Sweden's hiking trails.

Thanks for the head's up on this movie. Love, hate, or "meh," I think it will still be an interesting experience to watch it in the theater. I think if I like the movie to any extent, that will get me to read the book. My reading list is pretty full at the moment, and my current book, Woolf's "To the Lighthouse," is really driving me crazy in both good and bad ways.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: yay humanities on 07/12/2014 06:05:00 MDT Print View

Saw "The American" , you are a kinder critic. I hope the movie tanks at the box office and we can stop hearing about it. I do hope Reese can work out her own drug problem.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/12/2014 11:35:08 MDT Print View

""I am 100% in agreement with Jen."

First time you've written that I bet."

;). You know it.

D M
(FarWalker) - M

Locale: On a trail
Movie and the trail on 07/12/2014 20:08:22 MDT Print View

I've been on the trail since April. The book is terrible but Reese might just turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. And not that It matters concerning the trail, the PCT will ferret out the wanna be's by the first hundred miles as it always does and if not early it will by the first five hundred miles.
People are concerned that the movie will ruin the trail but I don't think it will ultimately. The PCT only gets a million a year for maintenance, so any publicity that makes more $$ for the trail is good. The "hordes" of hikers in the beginning might wear the patience of the trail angels thin though but they have ways of managing high traffic times.

Ito Jakuchu
(jakuchu) - MLife

Locale: Japan
Re: Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/13/2014 03:23:27 MDT Print View

Ian B wrote:
"On a somewhat related note, Anish announced the other day that she's not doing any more speaking engagements. ...
... I don't know what her reasoning is but you really have to admire the fact that apparently she does the things she does for reasons other than self promotion."

She wrote a quite beautiful explanation just now:
http://runhikelivelove.blogspot.jp/2014/07/saying-goodbye.html

Ito Jakuchu
(jakuchu) - MLife

Locale: Japan
carrot on 07/13/2014 03:25:44 MDT Print View

And I agree with the people about Carrot. Girl can write! I was following her previous PCT diary and was stoked when I read she was doing another run.

Gotta support that.

Daniel D
(Dandru) - M

Locale: Down Under
Re: carrot on 07/13/2014 05:06:37 MDT Print View

I'm in favour of Carrot's writing, plus Twinkle as well, they often walk together in a group, it's great introduction to the PCT.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: carrot on 07/13/2014 09:28:20 MDT Print View

I personally would LOVE to see a movie about Carrot on the PCT!

even with all the poop. Because let's be honest, that's pretty much what life devolves to on trips like that. Eat, walk, sleep, poop.

The title of my unpublished essay about my walk to the base camp of Mount Everest back in 1999 was "You want me to poop where?"

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Anish on 07/13/2014 09:48:17 MDT Print View

Just read her goodbye post on her blog, thanks Ian.
Anish may not know, but her letting go ( of her dreads, of the spotlight, of past achievements) just makes her inspiring once again.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Anish on 07/13/2014 10:09:50 MDT Print View

+1 Kat

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Re: carrot on 07/13/2014 10:18:16 MDT Print View

" Because let's be honest, that's pretty much what life devolves to on trips like that. Eat, walk, sleep, poop."

When you say it like that "Eat, walk, sleep, poop, use e-book reader" sounds a little off somehow. ;-)

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: carrot on 07/13/2014 12:33:37 MDT Print View

"When you say it like that "Eat, walk, sleep, poop, use e-book reader" sounds a little off somehow."

Depends on how long you have to poop for.....