Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out
Display Avatars Sort By:
christopher smead
(hamsterfish) - MLife

Locale: hamsterfish
PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 04/30/2014 16:59:31 MDT Print View

In case anyone didn't hear about this yet:
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4123708

Bummer is it's set in the 90's, so no cool UL stuff.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 04/30/2014 18:17:43 MDT Print View

Based on the book that has the PCT crammed this year.

Gordon Gray
(GordonG) - F

Locale: Front Range, CO
cool on 05/01/2014 12:06:38 MDT Print View

I would be interested to see this movie regardless of the who the main actress is. Though, I think Reese will look pretty good all dirty and sweaty.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
yeah on 05/01/2014 14:45:22 MDT Print View

I thought the book was one of the poorer PCT books I read. That said, I will see it once it hits Netflix/etc

Bob Shaver
(rshaver) - F

Locale: West
not quite the PCT on 05/02/2014 09:32:49 MDT Print View

If you read the book you'll see she skipped the Sierra, as it had too much snow. She started at the southern tip of the Sierra at the edge of the Mojave desert, hiked in the southern Sierra, which is foot hills, and skipped the Sierra from around from Army Pass north. She got on the trail again north of the Sierra, and hiked through northern CA and through OR. Pretty impressive for a total novice, but not the PCT either. It was a good read, so I'm looking forward to the movie.

Jonathon Self
(Neist) - M

Locale: Oklahoma
Trailer came out today on 07/11/2014 15:29:33 MDT Print View

Just a heads up, the trailer came out today.

I'm not sure what the rules are yet on offsite linking, but it should be relatively easy to Google. :)

Alexander S
(Cascadicus) - M
Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 16:03:31 MDT Print View

I thought about reading it on a long flight recently but couldn't get past the part where she goes on and on ad nauseum about how her failed relationaship made her feel.

Maybe the film will be more entertaining.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 16:26:28 MDT Print View

I'm happy for Ms. Strayed that she kicked drugs and other self-destructive behavior. I have a few theories about why Wild, a national bestseller, a book Oprah endorses, gets such negative reviews here at BPL.

Theory 1) Nickelback is also popular but I'd rather take a kick to the gems than listen to one of their albums. Similarly, BPLers are enlightened and demanding consumers of literature who can't be bothered with lowbrow stories of heroin and bootie calls.

Theory 2) Backpacking snobbery because like most of us, she's only a section hiker. Who wants to read about that?

Theory 3) The book truly sucks.

I thought I was going to watch it until I watched the trailer. Looks like it'll be plagued with overacting but hopefully I'm wrong.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 16:34:40 MDT Print View

I didn't like the book at all - but as others have said mostly because I got very, very tired of her going on and on about how much she misses her mom and how awful her relationships are.

I found myself skipping around to read about the hiking parts, which were entertaining. But then she'd go all Oprah again about how much she misses her mom and how awful her relationships are.

So really, it came down to how many times she would write about how much she misses her mom and how awful her relationships are.

Did I mention that she talks a lot about how much she misses her mom and how awful her relationships are?

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 16:40:19 MDT Print View

Barbie on the PCT?

Will there be a pink backpack, tent and sleeping bag? I've seen pink hiking boots.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 17:09:50 MDT Print View

Did anyone read that article about the movie release in Cosmopolitan last week? It was pretty interesting. Reese apparently said something about.... wait... why are you guys looking at me like that?

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 17:16:32 MDT Print View

Why do BPL folks dislike it?

1. Essentially, I think it's a hiking book for non-hikers. If you don't know anything about the PCT/hiking/backpacking, it would be quite entertaining.

2. It is (almost) single-handedly responsible for traffic jams on the PCT this year, frustrated and overwhelmed trail angels, and more of the same to come in the next few years at least.

Plus, she whines on and on about -- well, everything; she keeps insisting that the dude who gave her heroin is "the love of my life" (What?! Newsflash: anyone who gets you on heroin is the ENEMY of your life. Literally.); some of us lost our beloved mothers in a far more horrific way and yet managed not to whine and not to become heroin addicts; etc.

But I will give her this: She wrote until she had a book, and she managed to get it published, promoted, and sold!

She now has a career as an on-line advice columnist (don't do as I do; do as I say).

Personally, I hope Carrot Quinn gets a book deal, because she has the writing chops, by the end of the year she'll have done the PCT twice, and she's overcome a lot of adversity without whining or making a big deal out of it! Now that's I movie I'd go see.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Re: Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 17:24:45 MDT Print View

"Personally, I hope Carrot Quinn gets a book deal, because she has the writing chops, by the end of the year she'll have done the PCT twice, and she's overcome a lot of adversity without whining or making a big deal out of it! Now that's I movie I'd go see."

But not without a lot of pooping...

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 17:25:56 MDT Print View

"Personally, I hope Carrot Quinn gets a book deal"

+1. Love her blog.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 17:31:15 MDT Print View

Question of the day: who should play Carrot?

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 17:31:52 MDT Print View

On a somewhat related note, Anish announced the other day that she's not doing any more speaking engagements. I was disappointed to hear this. Since I live in Washington, I had always hoped that I'd have a chance to take my family to hear her story in her own words.

I don't know what her reasoning is but you really have to admire the fact that apparently she does the things she does for reasons other than self promotion. I suspect most atheletes are that way at their core but make compromises to take on sponsorships, etc to support their lifestyle.

Alexander S
(Cascadicus) - M
Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 17:39:37 MDT Print View

As It Happens:Pacific Crest Trail = worth purchasing / owning /supporting.

Wild: wait for Netflix and sell as a chick flick to sneak in some bonus points.

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
Link to trailer on 07/11/2014 18:00:13 MDT Print View

Yes, you can link to other stuff:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/wild/

And for the haters, especially the ones who haven't read the book or seen the movie: Enough already.

It's as irrational as hating Ray Jardine for turning on a bunch of people to lightweight backpacking.

Oh wait ...

-- Rex

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 18:02:43 MDT Print View

"Did anyone read that article about the movie release in Cosmopolitan last week? "

Ian, for some reason my issue of Cosmo is late this month. However i agree about CQ - good writer. She knows how to describe pain and fear, etc., but without turning in it into the self-centered confessional Strayed point of worldview that is more or less the thing I backpack to get away from. Personally I rather see a movie about someone like her.

Actress: Zoe Kazan, because at this point I go see anything with her in it. If the screenplay was written by Charlie Kaufman and Bigfoot made an appearance in a dream sequence as a grouchy Jardine-like backpacking guru that would clinch the deal for me. :-)

Edited by millonas on 07/11/2014 18:03:14 MDT.

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

RE: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 18:11:42 MDT Print View

>> [Carrot Quinn] knows how to describe pain and fear, etc., but without turning in it into the self-centered confessional Strayed point of worldview that is more or less the thing I backpack to get away from.

Marko, man, I'm in TOTAL sync with you. Beautifully put, my friend! :^)

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

How to start a flame war about books on 07/11/2014 18:15:51 MDT Print View

I think there are a lot of similarities between Wild and Let My People Go Surfing.

Wish both authors would have placed greater emphasis on the outdoorsy aspects of their books and less on the drug addiction/relationships/Chinese factories/etc.

Blah blah blah, I shot heroin. Blah blah blah, we only work with the finest factories in China.

C'mon authors! More stories about dirtbagging it in a station wagon in Montana and fewer horse massacres!

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: How to start a flame war about books on 07/11/2014 18:37:36 MDT Print View

Population of people that are backpackers is small - can't make any money selling to them

You have to appeal to people on some popular theme - like "reality TV" or something

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Re: How to start a flame war about books on 07/11/2014 18:47:17 MDT Print View

With respect, I don't think it's absolutely necessary to "dumb down" things in order to have a best seller. Stephen Hawking comes to mind -- an international bestseller on an esoteric topic by a genuine Mathematics professor, and yet..."average" folk managed to read and enjoy "A Brief History of Time".

Although there sure are a lot of very popular dumbed-down books/movies out there...

Edited by Wildtowner on 07/15/2014 19:13:15 MDT.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

wow on 07/11/2014 18:50:10 MDT Print View

"I didn't like the book at all - but as others have said mostly because I got very, very tired of her going on and on about how much she misses her mom and how awful her relationships are. "

I am 100% in agreement with Jen. I read A LOT. I have read dozens of hiking books, primarily the PCT ones. But Wild was probably my least favorite. I read it before Oprah

Edited by mpl_35 on 07/11/2014 18:50:41 MDT.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 19:04:02 MDT Print View

In spite of a strong recommendation from my librarian (the one I've woken up next to for several decades) I haven't read the book.

I'm struggling to reconcile these comments with many other positive comments on these forums about Bryson's Walk in the Woods ... I hated it.

Jonathon Self
(Neist) - M

Locale: Oklahoma
Re: Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 19:39:50 MDT Print View

Alexander S: I agree! As It Happens is pretty fantastic. I look forward to anything else they produce.

Rex Sanders: Good to know for future reference. Thanks!

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Re: Re: Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 19:43:35 MDT Print View

Jonathon, your avatar look like Triumph the Insult Comic Dog's disapproving father.

Whaaat? You vant to go into de showbeeznez? A perfect career...for me to poop on!

FWIW, I thought Walk in the Woods was hilarious, but more as a spoof on the extremes out there rather than as any serious homage to backpacking. It definitely made me laugh out loud. Because he was new to it Bryson was able efficiently to suss out and skewer some of the ridiculousness a lot of us take for granted as "normal".

Edited by millonas on 07/11/2014 19:51:30 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: wow on 07/11/2014 19:51:07 MDT Print View

"I am 100% in agreement with Jen."

First time you've written that I bet.

Cesar Valdez
(PrimeZombie) - F

Locale: Scandinavia
yay humanities on 07/12/2014 00:56:03 MDT Print View

I haven't read the book, nor had I even heard about it until I read this thread. But it being turned into a movie puts me in an interesting position. I happen to have degrees in both film and in literature, and of course have been backpacking for nearly two decades now. So I feel kinda obligated to read the book now, and I will mos def see the movie. I will give a full review of the movie on my blog after I see it. I tend to be a rather harsh critic when it comes to film, and this film will be no different. For instance, I grade films on a 1-10 scale, and in the past 5 years or so I can recall only giving one film my top score of 9.5 (as 10/perfection does not exist). That movie being "The American" starring George Clooney and directed by Anton Corbijn.

I haven't hiked any of the PCT, but I was born in CA (Los Angeles) and spent some time as a child (lived there until I was only 8 years old) in some of the state parks there, which contributed a lot towards my passion for the outdoors.

I'm glad that I don't have to deal with the influx of people hiking the PCT. That would really annoy me. Not that I have problems with people new to hiking/backpacking, but it is inevitable that certain less favorable people are going to end up on the trail. Just a numbers game, really. For every 100 people, there are going to be a certain number of douches and douchettes. Which is why I consider myself lucky to have a variety of isloated and less traveled trails to explore here in Sweden/Norway. And I sure hope no one writes a international best selling book that somehow makes it onto Oprah's book club that has anything to do with Sweden's hiking trails.

Thanks for the head's up on this movie. Love, hate, or "meh," I think it will still be an interesting experience to watch it in the theater. I think if I like the movie to any extent, that will get me to read the book. My reading list is pretty full at the moment, and my current book, Woolf's "To the Lighthouse," is really driving me crazy in both good and bad ways.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: yay humanities on 07/12/2014 06:05:00 MDT Print View

Saw "The American" , you are a kinder critic. I hope the movie tanks at the box office and we can stop hearing about it. I do hope Reese can work out her own drug problem.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/12/2014 11:35:08 MDT Print View

""I am 100% in agreement with Jen."

First time you've written that I bet."

;). You know it.

D M
(FarWalker) - M

Locale: On a trail
Movie and the trail on 07/12/2014 20:08:22 MDT Print View

I've been on the trail since April. The book is terrible but Reese might just turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. And not that It matters concerning the trail, the PCT will ferret out the wanna be's by the first hundred miles as it always does and if not early it will by the first five hundred miles.
People are concerned that the movie will ruin the trail but I don't think it will ultimately. The PCT only gets a million a year for maintenance, so any publicity that makes more $$ for the trail is good. The "hordes" of hikers in the beginning might wear the patience of the trail angels thin though but they have ways of managing high traffic times.

Ito Jakuchu
(jakuchu) - MLife

Locale: Japan
Re: Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/13/2014 03:23:27 MDT Print View

Ian B wrote:
"On a somewhat related note, Anish announced the other day that she's not doing any more speaking engagements. ...
... I don't know what her reasoning is but you really have to admire the fact that apparently she does the things she does for reasons other than self promotion."

She wrote a quite beautiful explanation just now:
http://runhikelivelove.blogspot.jp/2014/07/saying-goodbye.html

Ito Jakuchu
(jakuchu) - MLife

Locale: Japan
carrot on 07/13/2014 03:25:44 MDT Print View

And I agree with the people about Carrot. Girl can write! I was following her previous PCT diary and was stoked when I read she was doing another run.

Gotta support that.

Daniel D
(Dandru) - M

Locale: Down Under
Re: carrot on 07/13/2014 05:06:37 MDT Print View

I'm in favour of Carrot's writing, plus Twinkle as well, they often walk together in a group, it's great introduction to the PCT.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: carrot on 07/13/2014 09:28:20 MDT Print View

I personally would LOVE to see a movie about Carrot on the PCT!

even with all the poop. Because let's be honest, that's pretty much what life devolves to on trips like that. Eat, walk, sleep, poop.

The title of my unpublished essay about my walk to the base camp of Mount Everest back in 1999 was "You want me to poop where?"

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Anish on 07/13/2014 09:48:17 MDT Print View

Just read her goodbye post on her blog, thanks Ian.
Anish may not know, but her letting go ( of her dreads, of the spotlight, of past achievements) just makes her inspiring once again.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Anish on 07/13/2014 10:09:50 MDT Print View

+1 Kat

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Re: Re: Re: carrot on 07/13/2014 10:18:16 MDT Print View

" Because let's be honest, that's pretty much what life devolves to on trips like that. Eat, walk, sleep, poop."

When you say it like that "Eat, walk, sleep, poop, use e-book reader" sounds a little off somehow. ;-)

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: carrot on 07/13/2014 12:33:37 MDT Print View

"When you say it like that "Eat, walk, sleep, poop, use e-book reader" sounds a little off somehow."

Depends on how long you have to poop for.....

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out" on 07/13/2014 13:25:16 MDT Print View

I'm a bookseller and so read Wild when it came out in an advance reader's edition. It wasn't what I expected. In the end I thought, not bad but it'll never sell. Shows what I know.

Actually I give Strayed props for copping to her own terrible behavior towards other people.

Matthew H
(vision-quest) - F - M

Locale: Portland, Oregon
Bummer. on 07/14/2014 03:15:26 MDT Print View

This is a bummer. I was planning on hiking the PCT in 2016. I had heard about the book but didn't realize how big it was, and I'm sure a mainstream movie will send hoards of people to the PCT in the coming years.. so much for escaping the hustle and bustle!

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Bummer. on 07/14/2014 09:08:14 MDT Print View

I have another seven years until I can through hike the pct so hopefully the surge from Wild will be done by then. I suspect the realities of the trail will thin the flakes from the heard.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Bummer. on 07/14/2014 09:13:08 MDT Print View

If you are NOBO you'll pass, be passed, and leapfrog with only a few.

If you are SOBO you'll see them all.

Where you camp is up to you.

I hike the JMT NOBO and say Hi&Bye to the SOBOs in less than 5 seconds ;-)
Solitude is not an issue.

Edited by greg23 on 07/14/2014 09:21:11 MDT.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Who should play Carrot on 07/14/2014 09:48:29 MDT Print View

How about Hillary Swank to play Carrot? You need a woman who can look like a 15-year-old boy. I think she could do it.

Bob Shaver
(rshaver) - F

read it, hiked it, liked it on 07/14/2014 13:15:43 MDT Print View

I hiked the JMT, which Strayed did not. I read her book, I read my hiking journal of my JMT trip. I did way less drugs than her, actually hiked the JMT, and climbed a lot more peaks than her, but her story and writing are a lot better than my boring trip report. The book is 70% personal history, 30% hiking, and the hiking part involves sleeping around and doing drugs. But its interesting, I enjoyed it, and the general public can read an interesting story and see a peek into a world they never would know existed otherwise. I doubt that many non-hikers get inspired to do the PCT, but some hikers who have thought about it might be inspired to finally do it. I'm good with that. They are all voters and advocates. I'll definitely go see the movie.

Bob

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Who should play Carrot on 07/14/2014 14:59:05 MDT Print View

Swank was born in '74, too old. Carrot could play herself.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Re: Re: Who should play Carrot on 07/14/2014 15:49:25 MDT Print View

Seriously, like I said, Zoe Kazan - same age, plus with short hair could look like a boy. :-) Yes, I am a ZK fanboy.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: read it, hiked it, liked it on 07/14/2014 16:36:00 MDT Print View

> "I doubt that many non-hikers get inspired to do the PCT"

Circa 1979, I was going up Whitney out of Whitney Portal and there was a family strewn all over the trail. We passed Mom and a teenager around 11,000, another teenagers in another mile and found Dad draped over a rock at 12,000 gasping for breath (and wondering, "why is it so hard to breath up here?" between drags on his cigarette). Apparently, Dad had been watching "America's Most Amazing. . .something" from his couch in LA, saw a story about a 91-year-old grandmother who hiked Whitney each (with a support party) and declared, "We're going to do that next year." They had all the regulation K-mart gear: the bright orange pack with the glued-together pack frame, the Fiberfill bags with the duck-printed flannel lining, the Boy Scout mess kits, and the blanket-covered canteens.

Maybe the permit-issuers will start screening for experience? GCNP asks lot of info for off-corridor overnights (arguably with good reason). The Iditarod requires you to have finished a 1,049-mile Iditarod previously or to have raced 500 miles already that year. More alarming would be "minimum gear requirements" like the 1890's Chilkoot Trail, the Iditarod, or climbing Denali.

>"They are all voters and advocates."

+1. Even if they don't hike, they can be voters and advocates. Next week, I'll go into Gates of the Arctic NP with BPL's much more studly Manfred & Sons party. I'm among maybe 1% of Alaskans who have been and perhaps 1 in 10,000 Americans. Yet, the CONCEPT of remote wilderness has enough support to have created and maintained a NP there, despite the dig-it/log-it/drill-it crowd.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: read it, hiked it, liked it on 07/14/2014 16:39:15 MDT Print View

"Next week, I'll go into Gates of the Arctic NP with BPL's much more studly Manfred & Sons party."

Screwed Wild, that's a trip report I'll be waiting for.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: read it, hiked it, liked it on 07/14/2014 16:42:19 MDT Print View

">"They are all voters and advocates."

+1. Even if they don't hike, they can be voters and advocates."

But that's a double edged sword. They may vote to keep the woods, but they won't necessarily vote to keep the wilderness - instead voting for cell towers and nice cabins every so many miles to sleep in and kiosks of some sort to buy burgers along the way.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Re: Re: Who should play Carrot on 07/14/2014 16:56:05 MDT Print View

"Swank was born in '74, too old. Carrot could play herself."

Eight years difference. That is nothing in Hollywood.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/14/2014 18:42:29 MDT Print View

Because of the commentary on this, many (!) other websites and even Facebook, wrote my own nickel's worth of thoughts:
http://www.pmags.com/that-book-cheryl-strayeds-wild

I am lazy and putting it up in one place. :D

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

pmags on 07/14/2014 19:55:03 MDT Print View

I can't pretend to know why anybody else dislikes the book. I know that I read it pre-Oprah and didn't like it.

You can claim it isn't "about" the PCT, but it is set there, covers many aspects of the trail, and uses the PCT in the tagline on the cover. Read the description on the website. It sure puts itself out there as a journey with the PCT as the backdrop. Considering the numerous books "about" the PCT I have read, I'd say most are like Wild. They are about the people with the PCT as the setting. It could be the CDT, AT, or another trail. But considering the limited number of books on the PCT, any book that is set on it, can reasonably be considered "about" it in my humble opinion.

Any way, back to my view. I didn't care for it. I didn't like her. Her "journey" didn't seem to heal or strengthen her. At the end, I was left with the same impression of a selfish short-sighted woman that I started with. I complained about the book after reading it long before it could be considered a "backlash" since nobody else had read it. I just feel it is a poor book.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: pmags on 07/14/2014 20:39:46 MDT Print View

My experience has been that some of the best stories come from people who behave uncoventially or experienced something that didn't go according to plan. Case in point, no one talks about all of the SF teams that did things right during Desert Storm. They talk/write about Bulldog's team and how they were compromised or Bravo Two Zero's hellaciously long e and e and eventual capture.

Regarding Pmag's article, I think calling the critics (not by Paul), mysogynistic, is a bit weak but likewise, calling Ms Strayed a nymphomaniac is likewise cheap.

In her own words, she fully admits that she has a male-like sexual appetite. Why is that worthy of criticism? I realize the hiking community comes from all walks of life but the puritans are free to watch Veggie Tales instead of reading this book.

I just got around to watching Walkumentary last week. POD recognized another triple Crowner's trail tail accomplish!ent when awarding him his crown. Don't see anyone slut shameing him.

I agree with the three star rating. Not a great book but not horrible either. Some light reading that I categorize under brain candy.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/14/2014 20:43:01 MDT Print View

***"It sure puts itself out there as a journey with the PCT as the backdrop"

No kidding. That's what I said. Notice, you too, said a BACKDROP. :)

The sub-line is "From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail".

Now that I think about it, I am very disappointed in the movie Casablanca. Nothing about the culture of north Africa...it only featured the city as a BACKDROP to the story. Awful movie.... ;)

***" any book that is set on it, can reasonably be considered "about" it in my humble opinion."

That's a rather broad brush you are painting with there sir.

One Tom Clancy book mentions the Appalachian Trail, (I frankly forget which)..Just saying.

***" I just feel it is a poor book."

And that is perfectly fine. I give it a "C" myself. So why do you feel it is a poor book? Is it because you didn't like her? The writing style? Not what you anticipated? Honestly curious.

***"I complained about the book after reading it long before it could be considered a "backlash" since nobody else had read it"

Good for you. Do you read the website Pitchfork on a regular basis and/or work in record store by any chance? :D

Edited by PaulMags on 07/14/2014 20:46:41 MDT.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/14/2014 21:48:28 MDT Print View

----"No kidding. That's what I said. Notice, you too, said a BACKDROP. :)

Now that I think about it, I am very disappointed in the movie Casablanca. Nothing about the culture of north Africa...it only featured the city as a BACKDROP to the story. Awful movie.... ;)"

I'm saying that there is enough related to the PCT it is a "Pct Book". You might be right that no backlash would have occurred if the setting was different. Your Casablanca example is a stretch though. I'm going by her own website. And I don't remember Casablanca being billed as a story about Africa. Tom Clancy mentioning the AT surely doesn't qualify.

----"And that is perfectly fine. I give it a "C" myself. So why do you feel it is a poor book? Is it because you didn't like her? The writing style? Not what you anticipated? Honestly curious."

In large part, it is probably because I dislike the main character. She is dislikable. I don't mind flaws, but as I have previously mentioned, she has the same issues post hike. I didn't see any character growth. She recognizes her mistakes in her personal life, and repeats them. She really seems to be a crappy person. Her husband sticks by her and she treats him like crap again....after seemingly realizing she blew it.

She doesn't learn from her on trail experiences in what I would anticipate is a normal time frame. I don't like childish actions. She throws a boot away since she lost one? She doesn't lighten up despite knowing she needs to? When your pain is self inflicted, I have a hard time being sympathetic.

I thought the writing was pedestrian. But this is relatively normal for hiking books. I thought she went overboard with her writing. Shattered. You can't just say tired and depressed? I thought the language didn't flow and she tried too hard writing. I'm sure I had more complaints, but I ready it 2 years ago. I just left feeling bummed. I hope everybook I read it great. I went in with no expectations, it was just another PCT book I ordered to read in my free time. I have read all kinds of PCT books. Stories about the people, about the trail, about the internal journey. I don't have a favorite. Just didn't care for this book. I'd go 2/5.

-----"Good for you. Do you read the website Pitchfork on a regular basis and/or work in record store by any chance? :D"

Not at all! I'm just saying my reaction was not based on anything other than the actual writing. This feeds into your last reason I think. I have read better books. Even of the same kind of "journey".

I will admit my anti Wild book is stronger when confronted with fans of the book. The same way I get annoyed by Harry Potter love. I enjoyed the books, but adults thinking they are great writing is annoying... ;)

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

discussion on 07/14/2014 21:50:18 MDT Print View

But I also love discussing books and debating their merits. I don't regret reading Wild. I do regret giving her money though. She seems to play up her tragedies and to me is a sorry individual. And now she has my money....

Reading and hiking are two passions of mine!

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: discussion on 07/14/2014 22:27:37 MDT Print View

It's been over a year since I read the book. I thought the man she's married to now is different than the one she divorced in the book. I don't keep up with her personal life but was there an article or something indicating that she's fooling around on him? I guess I thought she got off the dope after the hike. I don't know her and what she does with her personal life is none of my business but the story is supposed to be about how the trail helped her transform her life. There's much less of a story here if that didn't happen.

Matthew H
(vision-quest) - F - M

Locale: Portland, Oregon
Re: Re: Re: Bummer. on 07/14/2014 22:43:18 MDT Print View

Glad to hear you don't think the peace and quiet it ruined too much! I hope it's the same in a couple of years.

James Couch
(JBC) - M

Locale: Cascade Mountains
Re: read it, hiked it, liked it on 07/14/2014 23:03:51 MDT Print View

>I doubt that many non-hikers get inspired to do the PCT, but some hikers who have thought >about it might be inspired to finally do it.

Maybe not hike the whole thing, but I m seeing a lot of interest in section hiking along the PC this summer. For many of the people I am talking to this will be their first exeprience at multiday backpacking.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

re ian on 07/14/2014 23:18:55 MDT Print View

Im talking about during the book. I have no idea or care what she did post hike.

Alexander S
(Cascadicus) - M
Re: Re: How to start a flame war about books on 07/15/2014 12:03:28 MDT Print View

Valerie E.
"With respect, I don't think it's absolutely necessary to "dumb down" things in order to have a best seller"

I completley agree. Print media and Hollywood have a certain broad formula designed to catch as many viewer crossection as possible. Bourne Supremacy comes to mind.

In reality though, an audience can actually recognize and appreciate the originality of a film even if it is a bit technical and the subject matter is unfamiliar.
Example: Das Boot.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: discussion on 07/15/2014 18:56:23 MDT Print View

I actually went to a book reading/signing of Wild with Cheryl Strayed. She read excerpts from Wild and from another book she wrote about being and advice columnist. It was a very entertaining evening.

She said that the PCT was a framework to help tell the other story and the book is about the other story, not really about the PCT. The PCT part was used to provide a framework for the themes of taking a journey and releasing a heavy burden. She also said some of the PCT part of the story was rearranged in order to set up this framework. It was all about telling the story of getting over her mother's death. It's not a trail journal.

It was interesting that the audience was evenly split among people interested in the hike part and people interested in either the relationship with her mom part or about becoming a writer. The Q&A section of the evening reflected this. Cheryl mentioned that out West more people are interested in the hiking part of the story and on the East Coast absolutely nobody is interested in that part of the story.

One thing I got from Cheryl was that her love of hiking and the wilderness is true and she was a regular hiker just like any of us who've hiked the PCT. She encouraged people to support wilderness.

Bob Shaver
(rshaver) - F

on the positive side: on 07/16/2014 11:57:42 MDT Print View

one thing you have to say about her is that she showed up with no experience, the wrong gear, too much gear, and she didn't give up. Wow, her chances of doing a long hike with that kind of a start are slim to none. She stuck it out, so hooray for her.

She did the hike (or portions of it), and wrote a book. She's good in my book. So many people in the U.S. are rich and famous and have done far less than Strayed. Need I mention the Kardashians, Paris Hilton, the Situation, Jan Wow or whatever her name is, and dozens of other reality show "stars". But Chumlee of Pawn Stars, he is either a comedic genius or the dumbest person in Nevada.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

million little pieces deux? on 07/16/2014 12:06:56 MDT Print View

"She also said some of the PCT part of the story was rearranged in order to set up this framework."

Sounds like it should be in fiction.

Phillip Asby
(PGAsby) - M

Locale: North Carolina
Good discussion on 07/16/2014 13:53:15 MDT Print View

Well this has been interesting. I tried to read the book and admit to abandoning it maybe 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through. I wanted to like it. On some level I never could identify or connect with the author. I've not hiked the AT or PCT. I have lost a parent who was my mentor, role model, friend and last buffer between me and my unhinged mother - and yet didn't descend to addictions of any flavor. I've not used heroin. I've not been promiscuous. I have been depressed. At some point however so much of her story hinges on the death of her mother, which I get, and her response, which I don't, it became difficult to read. I suppose I just didn't care enough about her fate to persevere to the end.

I understand it isn't a hiking book. I've read enough trail journals and blogs to recognize that a hiking book really about hiking is likely to be quite short. As someone early stated - walk, eat, sleep, poop. Repeat. Seriously - at some point, woke up, ate, walked, ate, slept, woke up, etc... can only carry you so far. There has to be something else to hang your hat on - the people being the most interesting thing. The psychological toll and physical toll are all there and consistent among many - perhaps it is much like endurance athletes and other achievements that take perseverance at the end of the day the attainment does not necessarily come with any sort of personal epiphany other than I did it and I'm glad it's done.

So I might watch the movie on Netflix ... applaud the author for conquering her demons such as they are ... but otherwise don't plan on reopening the book to finish it.

Here's a question for me - what kind of book set around a hike as the "vehicle" for narrative delivery would I want to read? Have to think about that - not a gear guide although the geek in me does like those details - but otherwise, hmmm...

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Good discussion on 07/16/2014 16:49:25 MDT Print View

I can agree with a lot of that, I also read about 2/3 of it and just quit. Just couldn't connect with her about hiking or the story about finding herself. I kept thinking "Geez, put on your big girl pants already." I will probably watch the movie since it will be loosely based on hiking.

Ryan

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/16/2014 18:10:18 MDT Print View

Did Reese Witherspoon use that movie to announce she is gay ?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/16/2014 19:11:17 MDT Print View

"Did Reese Witherspoon use that movie to announce she is gay ?"

I always thought she was kinda sad.

Bob Shaver
(rshaver) - F

other hiking movies on 07/17/2014 13:26:35 MDT Print View

"what kind of book set around a hike as the "vehicle" for narrative delivery would I want to read?"

The Way, with Martin Sheen, hiking the Camino de Santiago

Snow Walker, with Barry Pepper, survival in the Arctic with a native woman teaching him Indian survival knowledge

The Way Back, a group hikes from a Soviet gulag to Mongolia

The Edge, Anthonly Hopkins, Alec Baldwin, Alaska bush survival

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: other hiking movies on 07/17/2014 17:50:33 MDT Print View

"The Way Back, a group hikes from a Soviet gulag to Mongolia"

That's the title of the movie, based on "The Long Walk" by Slawomir Rawicz. A compelling read.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

The Way Back on 07/17/2014 18:03:45 MDT Print View

I really enjoyed the movie. Never read the book. Apparently Rawicz's story was questionable and questioned for decades, then definitively debunked a few years back, then it was suggested that the story was in fact stolen from someone else who claimed to have done something similar - so the controversy goes on again in the guise of an entirely different person.

Whether literally true about any actual group of people, the movie was good. Anything by Peter Weir is fantastic.

Weirdly, I have seen all 4 of those movies. They are all good in a different way. A really nice list.

Edited by millonas on 07/17/2014 18:05:37 MDT.

Kevin Buggie
(kbuggie) - M

Locale: NW New Mexico
NY Times Review on 12/02/2014 17:44:03 MST Print View

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/12/03/movies/wild-stars-reese-witherspoon.html

The New York Times just reviewed, 'Wild.' They like it. The following quote tipped me towards wanting to see watch it.

"In its thrilling disregard for the conventions of commercial cinematic storytelling, “Wild” reveals what some of us have long suspected: that plot is the enemy of truth, and that images and emotions can carry meaning more effectively than neatly packaged scenes or carefully scripted character arcs."

Lori Pontious
(lori999) - M

Locale: Central Valley
re: Wild on 12/09/2014 12:02:57 MST Print View

I think a large part of my hatred for this book has to do with the set up my friend gave me – I was told it was about backpacking, and it is not. It's about a woman who needed therapy who puts on a backpack instead, and then proceeds to act out every impulse she has for 1000 miles or so. that felt like about a dozen pages of the book – the rest of it was whining about her mom and her relationships and her mom and her relationships and her mom and her relationships and her mom and her relationships. Had the friend who recommended it told me the truth I would have enjoyed the book so much more by ignoring it and reading something else.

I will enjoy the movie a lot more than the book, by staying home and watching The Way or Touching the Void again, then visiting a forum for trip reports or reading a trail
journal.

That she was a successful advice columnist says that at least she was able to shift gears to listen to whining instead of doing it as much.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: re: Wild on 12/09/2014 13:19:37 MST Print View

" the rest of it was whining about her mom and her relationships and her mom and her relationships and her mom and her relationships and her mom and her relationships."

Isn't that the reason why so many men go solo backpacking?

--B.G.--

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Re: re: Wild on 12/09/2014 13:40:06 MST Print View

LMAO, Lori!!! :^)

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

wild talk on 12/09/2014 14:57:18 MST Print View

What I find funny is the kvetching about the whining in Strayed's book and now movie. ;)

One person even went so far as to start a website and pay for sponsored posts for said website on FB because he was so upset. The favebook page avatr is subtle enough that it has stick figure with a blonde wig falling over-the-cliff.

Rather ah, overblown, no?

I've had people email, text me and PM me (seriously) if I knew when it is coming to Denver as if my association with LD hiking means I am automatically interested in this movie and know everything about it. :) [1] I admit it is getting a little annoying..but like a mosquito. Just wave it off.

OTOH, I think it is great people are getting interested in the longer trails.

Maybe there will be a sh** show at Springer (the ATC is concerned about more pressure. 50 people a day started last year), Campo and so on.

But rather than playing hiker hipster,I'll do my modest best to help people out on their first long hike. And encourage people to try alternate hiking plans or trails as well.

And in five years, it will be yet-another-annoying thing we remember from the past.

[1] I'm nice and say this Friday, but I tempted to send them this link ;)
http://bit.ly/1GgguGB

Edited by PaulMags on 12/09/2014 14:59:23 MST.

Monte Masterson
(Caesar) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Monster on 12/09/2014 15:24:13 MST Print View

I was going to go see the movie, but when I saw Cheryl's PCT pack "Monster" on Oprah, I knew that I'd just sit in the theatre and do nothing but think about how to lighten the pack.

Her PCT hike is considered a success, but I must be missing something here. She made it a little over 1000 miles. Last time I heard the PCT is 2600 miles long.

Edited by Caesar on 12/09/2014 20:35:14 MST.

Cameron M
(cameronm) - F - M

Locale: Los Angeles
Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 12/09/2014 15:32:24 MST Print View

Have not seen the movie, but the trailer is painful; it shows Witherspoon carrying this giant pack that looks like it weighs five pounds. It jumps and bobs around, so both the pack and the body of the actress don't communicate any sense of an onerous load.

It looks ridiculous.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 12/09/2014 16:47:30 MST Print View

I heard that the 2015 PCT will be crowded with people inspired by the movie. I'll bet you could buy a lot of gear the town about a week from the start :)

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: re: Wild on 12/09/2014 17:27:17 MST Print View

Lori, thanks for your review...lol. I will skip this one and maybe watch it on dvd. I have yet to see The Way and should watch it soon.

jimmer ultralight
(jimmer) - F
The Way.. on 12/13/2014 22:28:58 MST Print View

Loved "The Way"..,Great Movie.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: The Way.. on 12/14/2014 11:07:13 MST Print View

The reaction to this book is... well interesting. It's certainly not a great book but I've read far worse. So I wrote this yesterday.

Wild

Then I re read Paul's write up on it and realized I was channeling him for about half of my write up. Oops. Not intended. Great minds think alike?

That Book

I pretty much summed up my thoughts on the topic but, and I'm not singling out Monte as this has been a common theme, the whole "she only hiked 1000 (1100) miles" baffles me. With the gear she had, the drugs she was taking just prior to the hike, and lack of information, it's amazing to me that she made it that far. In all honesty, we tend to be a bit too analytical here and spend hours researching JMT pencils. Maybe most of us could learn something from here and just grab a kit and go (hopefully something under 100lbs though).

Edit to add: The whole "only 1100 miles" to me is analogous to "only climbed Mt. Rainier when other people have climbed K2."

I've only hiked 30 miles of the PCT so I'm in no position to criticize her accomplishment.

I'm no head shrinker and I'm not going to pretend to be one through osmosis from being married to a therapist. What I do know, and see on an almost daily basis in our local jails and my limited knowledge/relationship with the mental health community, substance abuse is a fairly common co-occurring disorder associated with a number of illnesses, including illnesses that don't impact cognitive function.

What I can say coming from a criminal justice background is that there's a well known trend of people aging out of this behavior. It's not uncommon to see people who were a mess in their 20s become productive members of society in their 30s.

I'm not excusing it. I'm not saying that they are not responsible for their actions. I know people who came from far worse situations than hers who never took drugs. But, as I mentioned in my blog, are any of us somehow superior to Ms. Strayed because our "sins" are superior to her's? For the record, I'm agnostic so I'm not getting theological here. People are getting a bit too preachy and judgmental here in my opinion.

Regardless of how she re organized her book, I can only assume that the account is mostly true as there's no way anyone in their right mind would think that her accounts of her drug use and her 1000lb backpack would ever be viewed with respect or admiration. Honesty is rarely rewarded though.

All that being said, the book is meh. I just don't think she's deserving of all the venom.

The trailer for Wild is pretty lame. I'll probably watch it though.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 12/15/2014 07:30:38 MST.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 12/14/2014 14:49:09 MST Print View

Ha! No need to say "oops". :)

I think you, I and the vast majority of people just don't have any emotional attachment to the book.

For us, it was just an OK read. Not bad. Not good. Frankly, I probably would not have read it if it was not for the Oprah buzz on one side and the extreme hate from the other.

For one very specific set of people, it was a life changing book. So they are emotionally invested.

For others, the PCT was a life changing event..or the long trails in general. Much like Saul on the way to Damascus, their journey on the XYZ Trail became a conversion. And like the Wild-fans, they are very zealous about any impact on the One Truth Faith. For one, it was a book. For another, it was spending 4-6 months of their life walking.

My long trail hiking experiences were life changing for me. It is why I moved to Colorado and part of the why I have a website.

OTOH, my identity is not tied into the long trails at this point in my life. I am an outdoor person more than a long trail hiker, a husband, a friend, a pretty good cook, a loving son, a brother, a person who love's craft beer.....having hiked the long trails is far down the list of my identities at this point. It is part of who I am. It is NOT who I am. Any more than working in IT for 15+ years is who I am...

So for me, personally, to get angry and upset over a book, and the people who have hiked because of the book or movie, would be silly.

As mentioned, I'll do my best to educate people in my own small way. But, I've always loved to help people.

OTOH, I think for many people who have a life outside of the long trails (the vast majority of us), it is just another book or trend that will pass. A "meh" moment as we go back to being outdoors people, spouses, friends and pretty good cooks.

And if the PCT is too crowded for someone? As I said before, do something different. The 2004 or 2008 trail is less crowded than the 2015 trail..but the 2004 or 2008 trails with its water caches, trail angels, ample guide books, maps and websites is more mellow and easier than the 1995 trail when Strayed hiked it, too. You have to take the trails for what they are..not what you want them to be.

Edited by PaulMags on 12/14/2014 14:54:48 MST.

Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear1) - F
Re: Re: The Way.. on 12/14/2014 17:47:16 MST Print View

Very well said Ian.

Katherine .
(Katherine) - F

Locale: pdx
Re: Re: Re: The Way.. on 12/14/2014 20:44:11 MST Print View

Sort of similar to Mags' point, I only get annoyed about it when people think: "Oh, Katherine likes backpacking, therefore she must care about this book/movie!!!"

A family friend today on the phone was under the impression I had recommended it. I quickly and gently set her straight that I had no opinion on it whatsoever. At least she cared enough to know that was in the general area of my interests, if not exactly on the mark.

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
Re: Re: Re: Re: The Way.. on 12/14/2014 21:16:55 MST Print View

Much ado about nothing people...

pouring from the empty into the void

billy

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Way.. on 12/15/2014 07:34:34 MST Print View

Oooooh! Watch it Billy! Oprah's mafia will get you for saying such a thing.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: The Way.. on 12/15/2014 07:41:27 MST Print View

Give him a break Ian, he's been waiting to use that line a long time.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
We saw it on 12/15/2014 08:59:35 MST Print View

My wife and I saw the movie last night in Seattle. We gave it a 3 on a scale of 5.

Generally unremarkable movie from my viewpoint. Reese never looked like she was walking fast enough to get anywhere.

It was kind of a one trick dog. Just cycled back and forth from trail to the traumas in her life. I connected emotionally more with her Mom (Laura Dern) than the Reese character.

Showed very few people on the trail. Were there that few PCT hikers in the 90s?

I have bad ears and my wife has good ears but we both had trouble hearing a lot of Rees's dialog. I don't think it made much difference, however.

Had some good product endorsements for REI, MSR, etc.

Reese doesn't know how to bury her human waste in a proper cat hole. Showed a fresh pile with rocks over it.

Liking the movie less as I write about it here.

One scene looked like it was in a rain forest when she runs into a woman, kid and Llama. . Is there a stretch of rain forest south of the Bridge of Gods?

One scene she drops to her knees on the trail to weep. Seem overplayed.

The seat I had in the theater was broken.

Yesterday was my birthday.

We ate dinner at Julia's in Seattle.

I think I ran out of things to say several lines ago.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: We saw it on 12/15/2014 09:05:07 MST Print View

Happy Birthday Daryl , I assume you went to the Guild 45th then walked a few blocks to Julias.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: Re: We saw it on 12/15/2014 09:39:32 MST Print View

Link,

Correct on both counts.

You must be psychic.

You, of course, also know that I had a PBR tall boy and stir fry.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: We saw it on 12/15/2014 09:48:02 MST Print View

"You, of course, also know that I had a PBR tall boy and stir fry."

Quoting The Kingdom, "they don't just give that blue ribbon to any ol' beer."

Daryl,

I believe we may be related.

John Harper
(johnnyh88) - M

Locale: The SouthWest
Re: Re: Re: Re: We saw it on 12/15/2014 12:17:44 MST Print View

Ron Moak seemed to like it:

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/blog/187-wild-the-movie.html

Personally, I wasn't even able to finish watching the trailer.

George Fraizer
(gfraizer13) - F

Locale: Wasatch
re The Movie on 12/15/2014 12:41:41 MST Print View

Knowing that I have done the PCTmy mother in law has asked me about first the book and now the movie. My answer was the same for both; I don't do Oprah, I'll pass.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: re The Movie on 12/15/2014 13:30:35 MST Print View

Liz Thomas' review of the movie is a bit more upbeat.

http://www.eathomas.com/2014/12/15/wildthemovie/

James Couch
(JBC) - M

Locale: Cascade Mountains
Wild on 12/15/2014 14:24:28 MST Print View

Once you understand that the book and the movie are NOT about the PCT you have a much better idea of what to expect. The PCT is merely the setting for her story.

Todd Taylor
(texasbb) - F

Re: We saw it on 12/15/2014 14:32:52 MST Print View

One of the Daryls said: "One scene looked like it was in a rain forest when she runs into a woman, kid and Llama. . Is there a stretch of rain forest south of the Bridge of Gods?"

I haven't seen the movie so I don't know how 'rain forest' you're meaning, but the area south of BofG is most certainly green and mossy.

Mossy ridge on in Columbia River Gorge

Mossy rock in Columbia River Gorge

Neither of those is right on the PCT, though, and I don't recall the trail itself feeling all that rain foresty.

John McAlpine
(HairlessApe) - M

I got the Movie Too......... on 12/15/2014 16:01:10 MST Print View

Just like Daryl and Daryl I caught the movie Friday night here in Seattle at the Guild 45th. However it wasn't my birthday and I didn't eat at Julia's. I went a few more blocks away and ate at Kate's Pub. My buddy had a PBR.

I didn't care much for the movie. I found myself bored with the mother/daughter story. I wanted to see her on the trail. I give the author credit for making it as far as she did. She had no experience and exceeded to go much further then I'd have imagined. The movie definitely shows the author had a difficult time after her mother passed away. Hiking the trail my have actually saved her life.

At the end of the show we see actual photos of the author on the trail. It looks like she was in a Sierra Design Clip Flashlight...or something very similar. They did get the exact same pack for Reese W. to carry as in the 1995 pictures. Would I recommend seeing the movie....sure.....but wait until it's a rental and save some money.

I've only hiked the Oregon and Washington section of the PCT. I was surprised how barren southern California was along the trail. The beginning of the hike doesn't look enjoyable at all.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: We saw it on 12/15/2014 17:22:25 MST Print View

"they don't just give that blue ribbon to any ol' beer."

Oh, how it pains me to hear fellow PNWers referring to PBR as beer. :((

+1 to Jim couch's comment.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: We saw it on 12/15/2014 17:38:32 MST Print View

Oh, how it pains me to hear fellow PNWers referring to PBR as beer. :((

PBR... is without a doubt.... the best pre-microbrew beer available in the US.... in a can.... period.

But back to the OP...

I hear I can get a year's subscription to O if I see Wild so it's settled. I'm going.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: We saw it on 12/15/2014 17:47:20 MST Print View

"PBR... is without a doubt.... the best pre-microbrew beer available in the US.... in a can.... period."

Ever try Stroh's? ;0)

All that aside, I used to drink a lot of PBR growing up in Michigan, mostly because it was cheap. When I could afford it, Stroh's was my brew of choice. But golly, Ian, here in micro brew paradise, I dunno bro.....

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: Re: We saw it on 12/15/2014 17:55:05 MST Print View

Todd,

Thanks for the photos. Doesn't quite match my memory of the movie scene but then I don't have a very good memory for the visual (or non-visual for that matter).

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
The Movie on 12/15/2014 19:35:10 MST Print View

Rain forest south of Cascade Locks?

Having lived in Portland almost 30 years and hiked the Columbia Gorge for most of that, I'd say definitely, YES.

Both the PCT and the Eagle Creek Trail to Wahtum Lake are full of moss-covered everything. It continues almost to Timberline Lodge on Mt Hood, where the increased altitude and temperatures restricts (but does not stop) its development. South of Mt. Hood, the moss decreases, but between there and Cascade Locks, it's Moss Central.

Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear1) - F
Re: We saw it on 12/16/2014 17:08:22 MST Print View

Happy late birthday Daryl. How young did you turn if you don't mind me asking?

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: Re: We saw it on 12/16/2014 21:56:25 MST Print View

70 big ones Justin.

How old are you?

Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear1) - F
Re: Re: Re: We saw it on 12/17/2014 13:47:48 MST Print View

I'm 34 currently, birthday is coming up in January.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: We saw it on 12/17/2014 16:02:30 MST Print View

Justin,

That line from one of Rod Stewart's songs applies to you:

"time is on your side"

Doug's recent line from Chaff applies to me:

"this could be the last day of the rest of my life"

Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear1) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: We saw it on 12/17/2014 19:07:34 MST Print View

"time is on your side"

Geesh, well tell that to my spouses subconscious, she's had like 4 dreams so far that i die somewhat young, one referencing my mid 40's after we have had a few children (we don't have any currently).

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: We saw it on 12/17/2014 19:42:57 MST Print View

"
Geesh, well tell that to my spouses subconscious, she's had like 4 dreams so far that i die somewhat young, one referencing my mid 40's after we have had a few children (we don't have any currently)."

Sounds like a compelling reason to get your tubes tied. ;0)

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 12/17/2014 21:12:37 MST Print View

Best response of the night, Tom!

Mike Henrick
(Hikerbox) - F - M

Locale: Boston
Saw it last night on 12/18/2014 08:43:57 MST Print View

Saw it last night, was disappointed about the lack of scenery but otherwise a bit of a heart jerker. Also all the trashy guys she encountered really sucks, sounds like that's gotten better with the increased numbers but is still a problem.

I don't think this movie will have flocks of heart broken people going out to solve their issues on PCT but it does give the trail name recognition among non-hikers. That will increase the numbers for sure (as it has already) but I don't think you'll find a lot of people claiming to be inspired by Wild and trying to have a similar experience, maybe they heard of the trail for the first time from it then looked further.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: We saw it on 12/18/2014 08:52:04 MST Print View

"Sounds like a compelling reason to get your tubes tied. ;0)"

Ummmmm, I guess if he was in touch with his feminine side, perhaps...... :-)

Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear1) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: We saw it on 12/18/2014 18:45:03 MST Print View

"'Sounds like a compelling reason to get your tubes tied. ;0)'

Ummmmm, I guess if he was in touch with his feminine side, perhaps...... :-)"

Wheal... while i may be pretty in touch with my inner psyche feminine side, i still have all the male body parts, so that would be snipping for me.

Joe A
(dirtbaghiker) - M
saw movie last night on 12/20/2014 07:40:07 MST Print View

so I saw the movie last night. I thought it was OK..nothing spectacular. I did read the book and of course, as usual, the book was way better then the movie. The movie was a bit slow and if I had not read the book I probably wouldnt have really understood the movie to its fullest. Will it inspire droves of people to go out and hike the PCT or any other trail for that matter? Probably not. There is a possibility that it may convince some to NOT do such a thing. I feel they could have done a better job with the scenery for sure..there was not many inspiring scenery scenes..like "WOW..nature is so beautiful"..I get that the book and movie where not solely about the PCT..it was more of a reflection of her past, but she did hike the PCT and that was when the book/movie was taking place..during her thru-hike. I also get that making a movie about backpacking/thru-hiking is difficult because its is not all "wow" and "ooohhh and ahhhs" and from my past experiences with actually doing it versus showing people pictures or video of when I did it..well, they never do it justice. There is NOTHING like actaully doing something like this and seeing it in real time, in person..after possibly struggling to climb or walk long distances carrying everything you need to sleep and survive in the wilderness on your back, be you solo or with someone else. So, I got it and I did enjoy the movie and while there are not many movies which involve thru hiking any of our countries beautiful long distance trails, I would recomend watching Wild, as long as you go into it without hi expectations and possibly after you have read the book.