Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out

Display Avatars Sort By:
christopher smead
(hamsterfish) - MLife

Locale: hamsterfish
PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 04/30/2014 16:59:31 MDT Print View

In case anyone didn't hear about this yet:
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4123708

Bummer is it's set in the 90's, so no cool UL stuff.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 04/30/2014 18:17:43 MDT Print View

Based on the book that has the PCT crammed this year.

Gordon Gray
(GordonG) - F

Locale: Front Range, CO
cool on 05/01/2014 12:06:38 MDT Print View

I would be interested to see this movie regardless of the who the main actress is. Though, I think Reese will look pretty good all dirty and sweaty.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
yeah on 05/01/2014 14:45:22 MDT Print View

I thought the book was one of the poorer PCT books I read. That said, I will see it once it hits Netflix/etc

Bob Shaver
(rshaver) - F

Locale: West
not quite the PCT on 05/02/2014 09:32:49 MDT Print View

If you read the book you'll see she skipped the Sierra, as it had too much snow. She started at the southern tip of the Sierra at the edge of the Mojave desert, hiked in the southern Sierra, which is foot hills, and skipped the Sierra from around from Army Pass north. She got on the trail again north of the Sierra, and hiked through northern CA and through OR. Pretty impressive for a total novice, but not the PCT either. It was a good read, so I'm looking forward to the movie.

Jonathon Self
(Neist) - M

Locale: Oklahoma
Trailer came out today on 07/11/2014 15:29:33 MDT Print View

Just a heads up, the trailer came out today.

I'm not sure what the rules are yet on offsite linking, but it should be relatively easy to Google. :)

Alexander S
(Cascadicus) - M
Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 16:03:31 MDT Print View

I thought about reading it on a long flight recently but couldn't get past the part where she goes on and on ad nauseum about how her failed relationaship made her feel.

Maybe the film will be more entertaining.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 16:26:28 MDT Print View

I'm happy for Ms. Strayed that she kicked drugs and other self-destructive behavior. I have a few theories about why Wild, a national bestseller, a book Oprah endorses, gets such negative reviews here at BPL.

Theory 1) Nickelback is also popular but I'd rather take a kick to the gems than listen to one of their albums. Similarly, BPLers are enlightened and demanding consumers of literature who can't be bothered with lowbrow stories of heroin and bootie calls.

Theory 2) Backpacking snobbery because like most of us, she's only a section hiker. Who wants to read about that?

Theory 3) The book truly sucks.

I thought I was going to watch it until I watched the trailer. Looks like it'll be plagued with overacting but hopefully I'm wrong.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 16:34:40 MDT Print View

I didn't like the book at all - but as others have said mostly because I got very, very tired of her going on and on about how much she misses her mom and how awful her relationships are.

I found myself skipping around to read about the hiking parts, which were entertaining. But then she'd go all Oprah again about how much she misses her mom and how awful her relationships are.

So really, it came down to how many times she would write about how much she misses her mom and how awful her relationships are.

Did I mention that she talks a lot about how much she misses her mom and how awful her relationships are?

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 16:40:19 MDT Print View

Barbie on the PCT?

Will there be a pink backpack, tent and sleeping bag? I've seen pink hiking boots.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 17:09:50 MDT Print View

Did anyone read that article about the movie release in Cosmopolitan last week? It was pretty interesting. Reese apparently said something about.... wait... why are you guys looking at me like that?

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 17:16:32 MDT Print View

Why do BPL folks dislike it?

1. Essentially, I think it's a hiking book for non-hikers. If you don't know anything about the PCT/hiking/backpacking, it would be quite entertaining.

2. It is (almost) single-handedly responsible for traffic jams on the PCT this year, frustrated and overwhelmed trail angels, and more of the same to come in the next few years at least.

Plus, she whines on and on about -- well, everything; she keeps insisting that the dude who gave her heroin is "the love of my life" (What?! Newsflash: anyone who gets you on heroin is the ENEMY of your life. Literally.); some of us lost our beloved mothers in a far more horrific way and yet managed not to whine and not to become heroin addicts; etc.

But I will give her this: She wrote until she had a book, and she managed to get it published, promoted, and sold!

She now has a career as an on-line advice columnist (don't do as I do; do as I say).

Personally, I hope Carrot Quinn gets a book deal, because she has the writing chops, by the end of the year she'll have done the PCT twice, and she's overcome a lot of adversity without whining or making a big deal out of it! Now that's I movie I'd go see.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Re: Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 17:24:45 MDT Print View

"Personally, I hope Carrot Quinn gets a book deal, because she has the writing chops, by the end of the year she'll have done the PCT twice, and she's overcome a lot of adversity without whining or making a big deal out of it! Now that's I movie I'd go see."

But not without a lot of pooping...

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 17:25:56 MDT Print View

"Personally, I hope Carrot Quinn gets a book deal"

+1. Love her blog.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 17:31:15 MDT Print View

Question of the day: who should play Carrot?

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 17:31:52 MDT Print View

On a somewhat related note, Anish announced the other day that she's not doing any more speaking engagements. I was disappointed to hear this. Since I live in Washington, I had always hoped that I'd have a chance to take my family to hear her story in her own words.

I don't know what her reasoning is but you really have to admire the fact that apparently she does the things she does for reasons other than self promotion. I suspect most atheletes are that way at their core but make compromises to take on sponsorships, etc to support their lifestyle.

Alexander S
(Cascadicus) - M
Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 17:39:37 MDT Print View

As It Happens:Pacific Crest Trail = worth purchasing / owning /supporting.

Wild: wait for Netflix and sell as a chick flick to sneak in some bonus points.

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
Link to trailer on 07/11/2014 18:00:13 MDT Print View

Yes, you can link to other stuff:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/wild/

And for the haters, especially the ones who haven't read the book or seen the movie: Enough already.

It's as irrational as hating Ray Jardine for turning on a bunch of people to lightweight backpacking.

Oh wait ...

-- Rex

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Re: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 18:02:43 MDT Print View

"Did anyone read that article about the movie release in Cosmopolitan last week? "

Ian, for some reason my issue of Cosmo is late this month. However i agree about CQ - good writer. She knows how to describe pain and fear, etc., but without turning in it into the self-centered confessional Strayed point of worldview that is more or less the thing I backpack to get away from. Personally I rather see a movie about someone like her.

Actress: Zoe Kazan, because at this point I go see anything with her in it. If the screenplay was written by Charlie Kaufman and Bigfoot made an appearance in a dream sequence as a grouchy Jardine-like backpacking guru that would clinch the deal for me. :-)

Edited by millonas on 07/11/2014 18:03:14 MDT.

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
RE: PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out on 07/11/2014 18:11:42 MDT Print View

>> [Carrot Quinn] knows how to describe pain and fear, etc., but without turning in it into the self-centered confessional Strayed point of worldview that is more or less the thing I backpack to get away from.

Marko, man, I'm in TOTAL sync with you. Beautifully put, my friend! :^)