Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
huntinglight? sub 4 pound centerfire rifle
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Olsen
(bivysack.com) - F - M

Locale: Channeled Scablands
huntinglight? sub 4 pound centerfire rifle on 04/29/2014 08:38:42 MDT Print View

"Most of the lightweight builds are over 6 pounds, so under 4 pounds is a seriously light AR."

- See more at: http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/04/22/battle-arms-development-announces-sub-4-pound-ar-15-prototype/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=2014-04-29&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter#sthash.UspXZMV6.dpuf"

Mike Gunderloy
(ffmike) - M
Re: huntinglight? sub 4 pound centerfire rifle on 04/29/2014 10:47:50 MDT Print View

Henry AR-7 comes in at closer to 3 pounds. Of course it doesn't have that tacticool factor going for it...

http://rockymountainbushcraft.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-henry-ar-7-survival-rifle-reliable.html has a decent review.

David Olsen
(bivysack.com) - F - M

AR 7 Not a centerfire on 04/29/2014 11:04:44 MDT Print View

Can't take big game with a rimfire. Some states (CA) allow the 223 for big game and 223 could be made into 6mm or above pretty easily.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Could be even lighter on 04/29/2014 11:23:58 MDT Print View

Looks like its still a functioning "battle rifle" (although I doubt you'd really take that to war). For hunting I bet you could make it even lighter if it was single shot or bolt action.

robert van putten
(Bawana) - F

Locale: Planet Bob
Lever action carbine is better on 04/29/2014 11:36:05 MDT Print View

Heck, yer average 'ol garden verity Winchester 30-30 with a twenty inch tube is only about six pounds. It is a heck of a hunting gun just as it is.

Your average 16" Rossi 1892 lever action carbine weighs about 4.8 pounds or less. I imagine the .45 colt caliber might be the lightest, depending upon the profile of the barrel on the .357 version.

A feller could lighten one up to the tune of a pound or more by removing most or all of the front hand guard, skeletonizing or replacing the butt with one of lightweight composite and so forth.

Besides, I'd take a lever action over any AR anyway! :)

David Olsen
(bivysack.com) - F - M

links? on 04/29/2014 12:23:14 MDT Print View

Any links? Show me another centerfire rifle as light.

2 lbs extra with no scope and heavier ammo is not ultralight.

David Adair
(DavidAdair) - M

Locale: West Dakota
Re: Lever action carbine is better on 04/29/2014 12:31:46 MDT Print View

Whoa there Bob. For the time being let's ignore the fact that your level action guns don't even have a shoulder thing that goes up. The fact is that you are already heavily invested in leather goods, wheel guns, holsters, scabbards, chaps, belts hats and such.

In your case the important issue is that carrying an AR is gonna wreck havoc with the rest of your ensemble. But, for many young people out there it is not too late to invest in cordura and polymer framed pistols. Times change, John Wyane out Zombies in. Kinds makes you sad does't it?

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
Re: huntinglight? sub 4 pound centerfire rifle on 05/01/2014 11:33:46 MDT Print View

That is a seriously light rifle. It'll be interesting to see how it runs and shoots under field conditions. In my book .223 is not much of a big game cartridge, especially since I'm assuming that proprietary AR mag wouldn't be big enough to load heavier bullets, even if the barrel is twisted fast enough.

I could see a 4 pound .243 being a sweet backcountry rig. My Kimber .308 is 5.5 pounds empty and with optic, and I wouldn't want anything lighter in that chambering.

I just finished moding a Rossi Tuffy 410 to have a normal length stock, which makes it a 3.5 pound gun with a 33" OAL. My hope for it is the ultimate high country dusky grouse ground sluicer.

David Olsen
(bivysack.com) - F - M

Nosler Bonded on 05/01/2014 14:35:20 MDT Print View

The right ammo should make it good for large deer etc.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/788183/nosler-defense-ammunition-223-remington-64-grain-bonded-solid-base-box-of-20

Check out these tests. Better results than some of the old standards in larger caliber.

http://www.noslerreloading.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=18868