Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » the opposite of ultralight

Display Avatars Sort By:
Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: the opposite of ultralight on 04/30/2014 09:25:26 MDT Print View

I'm going to take the 5th on that. :-) Anyway, that guy is way more my brother than about %95 of the population. HYOH

Eli Zabielski
(ezabielski) - F

Locale: Boulder, CO
Re: Re: the opposite of ultralight on 04/30/2014 10:09:58 MDT Print View

>Apparently they found some "pretty rocks" and guess whose pack they went into? Yes, we left them in the forest.

The girls or the rocks? ;)

Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
RE: the opposite of ultralight on 04/30/2014 11:47:29 MDT Print View

As has been noted on the forum, back in the day the heavier the pack, the more bragging rights you got.

I recall on a winter trip, snowshoes and x-c skis, bringing an spare 1-lb Army stove along with the 3-4 lb Optimus 111B we used for group cooking, just in case. In fact I brought a lot of stuff "just in case."

Unfortunately I learned about winter (and general) backpacking from a large, strong guy who believed in the "better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it" philosophy. To his credit he introduced us to a very early UL proponent who cut the weight down dramatically, but we were too far gone and thought the guy was wacko (after all, more weight was better!) and that he took unneeded risks (didn't bring enough stuff "just in case").

Nathan W
(werne1nm) - M

Locale: Michigan
bear grylls on 05/01/2014 13:45:47 MDT Print View

you don't like this???

http://www.gerbergear.com/Survival/Gear/BG-Ultimate-Pack_30-000946

come on! everything you need!!!

TKB 1979
(ARIZONA1979) - M

Locale: DESERT SOUTHWEST
Re: bear grylls on 05/01/2014 17:40:16 MDT Print View

"you don't like this???

http://www.gerbergear.com/Survival/Gear/BG-Ultimate-Pack_30-000946

come on! everything you need!!!"

Wow! Hope I don't trip in this, either - I'll have to explain how I got stabbed 38 times going over that rock.

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Locale: PNW
My tough Mom on 05/01/2014 19:09:55 MDT Print View

My mother describes a trip she took in college, in Alaska somewhere along the coast... the name escapes me. They had a scale at the beginning, and you "had to have" 100lbs of gear to get permits/rights/whatever for the trail. She told me it spawned from an old government regulation meant to keep unprepared folks away. Anyway, they easily made the weight by stacking wine bottles in their packs! What a tough gal.

Sidebar, she is almost 60 now with crazy-bad rheumatoid arthritis in her feet (it destroyed most of the joints, and they stapled them back together!), and is still good for ten mile days carrying a funny old Jansport external frame. Hope I got a few of those tough genes passed down.

Anyone know the trail she described? Guess I should call my mother...

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
Bear Gryll's pack on 05/01/2014 19:10:00 MDT Print View

Might want to increase the number of band-aids--that's a lot of sharp pointy things.

How many sharp pointy things does a guy need?

Wait, don't answer that......

Owen McMurrey
(OwenM) - F - M

Locale: SE US
Re: Bear Gryll's pack on 05/02/2014 00:32:44 MDT Print View

"How many sharp pointy things does a guy need?"

Or a gal? Hiking out from a short overnighter last week, I saw a couple headed in, both wearing huge packs(Virgin Falls in TN, 4.5 mile in/out). The woman had a knife/hatchet combo on one side, and a machete on the other.
It's one thing to carry a big load because you can, but she looked very unhappy half a mile from the TH.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: My tough Mom on 05/02/2014 00:43:11 MDT Print View

>""My mother describes a trip she took in college, in Alaska somewhere along the coast... the name escapes me. They had a scale at the beginning, and you "had to have" 100lbs of gear to get permits/rights/whatever for the trail. She told me it spawned from an old government regulation meant to keep unprepared folks away."

>"Anyone know the trail she described? Guess I should call my mother..."

Sounds like the Chilkoot Trail starting out of Dyea, Alaska - one of the routes to the Klondike gold fields starting in 1896. Canadian officials required that stampeders take 2,000 pounds of supplies, half of it food, off of a detailed list to avoid very unprepared and under-provisioned people surging into the area.

Wikipedia says, "Park officials still require travelers to make preparation for hiking in this area." although not nearly so much tonnage is required anymore.

Tipi Walter
(TipiWalter) - F
Beat That on 05/07/2014 09:07:54 MDT Print View

Short of specialized military gear, BEAT THAT!

I can easily beat your example being that I routinely (monthly) pull long trips without resupply. It's all about "backpacking", the "light" part sort of dissolves when your trip food load is 45lbs+. Here are some pic examples for your enjoyment---

George
Here's George on Upper Creek in Pisgah NF carrying Everything.

24 Days
Here's my pack at the start of a 24 day winter trip with one food/fuel load.

Rob
Backpacking buddy Rob with his big Astralplane.

Mitten
Little Mitten at the beginning of a 20 day trip and trying to keep me from tipping over.

You get the idea.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Beat That on 05/07/2014 09:13:10 MDT Print View

Tipi, you win.

Tipi Walter
(TipiWalter) - F
Silverback Gorilla on 05/07/2014 09:28:25 MDT Print View

Don't be so quick to pronounce me the winner. What about George, or Rob? How about the other examples??---

Example 1
Another contender.

Ex 2
It's a tight race.

TKB 1979
(ARIZONA1979) - M

Locale: DESERT SOUTHWEST
Re: Beat That on 05/07/2014 09:40:29 MDT Print View

"... when your trip food load is 45lbs+ ...."

Wow! I seriously need to start doing push-ups. My heaviest pack with everything was 48 lbs. Part of the trail was on a 2 1/2 ft. lip or ridge above/next to a stream. I tripped on a rock, starting tipping over that lip & could do nothing at all to stop it. Just sort of a slow motion roll onto my back & straight into the water. All involved agreed it was hilarious.

I definitely think you win!

Jake S.
(spags) - M
contender on 05/08/2014 20:50:21 MDT Print View

I've always liked this picture:

georgia fog

Edited by spags on 05/08/2014 20:52:20 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: the opposite of ultralight on 05/08/2014 21:06:57 MDT Print View

ugh

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: the opposite of ultralight on 05/08/2014 21:11:55 MDT Print View

Dang! Which one is carrying the stove do you think?

Edited by millonas on 05/08/2014 21:12:27 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: the opposite of ultralight on 05/08/2014 21:16:24 MDT Print View

All that for a two night trip. Though we coveted their clean sweats after dinner. And they tarped.

And now we have photographic evidence to show us how sick Walter is.

David LaRue
(Phaedrus) - F

Locale: Chicagoland
Hate to admit it but this is my troop I'm trying to go light.. on 05/08/2014 21:42:50 MDT Print View

Is there hope ..?

Scouts on Philmont Trek .. overloaded

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Re: the opposite of ultralight on 05/08/2014 21:51:51 MDT Print View

Ken: That looks like the Bear Valley Trailhead at Point Reyes. That's an impressive amount of stuff, but I've seen (and done) worse on that trail.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: the opposite of ultralight on 05/08/2014 21:58:23 MDT Print View

David, it is. I have too.