Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Fastpacks 2014
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike Schasch
(MSchasch) - F
Fastpacks 2014 on 04/26/2014 15:05:03 MDT Print View

Trying to find some of the better fastpacks out there. Looking for around 30 liters or less. Seems like there are a few new ones out this spring.

I'm aware of the Sub60, SMD Flight 30, and the Ultraspire fastpack.

Certainly others have been using packs not necessarily designed for this type of thing, so if you have experience with a good one let me know.

Peter Bakwin
(pbakwin) - F
UD on 04/26/2014 15:59:13 MDT Print View

Ultimate Direction has a Fastpack coming out I think July. There will be 20 and 30L models. They have vest-style shoulder straps with bottle & gear pockets on the straps. No hip belt. We tested these extensively in the desert last week & I must say I think they carry exceptionally well. As a runner with poor core strength I was concerned about the lack of hip belt, especially with loads over 20lbs as was sometimes required due to extreme distances between water. But I had no problems. I carried the 20L and it fit everything I needed for a solid 4-day trip, including a stove & 3+L water at the start. Below 20lbs it's remarkably comfortable. You can see a few photos of the prototypes on the UD Facebook and blog. I expect Buzz will post a more complete trip report sometime soon. There will be some changes to the product based on our experiences.

Full disclosure is that I am a UD sponsored athlete and participated in design of the product. But I won't take credit - the designers at UD are great!

Happy to answer questions.

Mike Schasch
(MSchasch) - F
UD on 04/26/2014 16:39:39 MDT Print View

Thanks Peter, that is exciting news. No hipbelt seems strange, but Buzz is the man and I trust his judgement.

Peter Bakwin
(pbakwin) - F
Fastpack on 04/26/2014 17:25:31 MDT Print View

Perhaps a return to "The Ray Way"!

Forgot to mention the pack is constructed from silnylon with a roll top closure and stretch mesh pockets. A removable foam back panel is included.

Vince Contreras
(pillowthread) - F

Locale: like, in my head???
Another option... on 04/26/2014 17:29:21 MDT Print View

...might be the MLD Burn...I've used one for multiple, 24-hour-and-under jaunts through the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore Trail.

I find it cinches down nicely for a forefoot shuffle, while still being crazy light.

Steve Staloff
(twilight) - F
Aarn Marathon Magic 22 on 04/26/2014 22:27:34 MDT Print View

It seems to be as big as most 30 liter packs and it moves with you like nothing else I've used. See the following video, particularly from 2 minutes in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPACTytsl0Q

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Fastpacks 2014 on 04/27/2014 10:12:19 MDT Print View

Hey Mike,

You also have the Mountain Hardwear SummitRocket 30
I've tried it and would chose the SMD pack over it.

Mountain Hardware does make some very comfortable packs in that 30 liter range (fluid series?).
You also have the ability to try it on at some retails.

To be honest, I would stick with the SMD or wait for the UD to come out.

A lot of other 30 liter packs that may work seem to be 2+ pounds.
I'm sure the UD and SMD will be able to carry your load just as comfortable as the others.

Peter Bakwin
(pbakwin) - F
UD fastpack on 04/28/2014 15:20:08 MDT Print View

Correction: UD Fastpack out in August.
A few more pics here (both 20 & 30 L are featured):
http://blog.ultimatedirection.com/dark-needles-loop/#more-1400

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
Re: UD fastpack on 04/28/2014 15:28:03 MDT Print View

Nice Peter. Great trip, and the pack looks good too.

matt kirk
(matthew.d.kirk) - F

Locale: southern appalachians
sub 60 pack on 04/29/2014 10:51:13 MDT Print View

Thanks for your mention of the sub 60 pack. I apologize for a lack of photos, but will try to check back and answer any questions on this forum.

Of course I'm biased, but I believe in this local and small production run pack design. It has served me quite well. It's certainly not for everybody, you have to think.

The brainstorm I had last summer on the AT led to the complete custom fit and "kit" concept with this pack, which I think is a valuable feature.

I got a chance to spend some quality time with the sub 60 pack this past weekend: http://matthewkirk.blogspot.com/2014/04/quality-time.html

I'm now ready to retire the original after 5 years of unforgettable adventures.

Happy trails!