Forum Index » GEAR » TrailStar question

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kyle Meyer
(kylemeyer) - M

Locale: Portland, OR
Re: TrailStar and rain on 04/27/2014 14:42:24 MDT Print View

I think everybody is overthinking this. If you're at risk of the wind shifting, pitch the trailstar with some protection at the door–a tree, a bush, or a hill. I've spent maybe 100 nights in a trailstar in every season and biome and haven't needed to drop the door.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Re: TrailStar and rain on 04/27/2014 14:53:40 MDT Print View

Nah, Kyle, I was the only one that was truly overthinking things--everyone else was just trying to help. Well, the UK folks probably are in need of solving this issue, due to their rain, wind, and often treeless terrain. Thanks for your post, as it raises my confidence that things will work out well for me and my TrailStar.

But I still haven't learned how much I can cant my trekking pole before something bad happens. Any thoughts?

Martin Rye
(rye1966) - F

Locale: UK
Trailstar question on 04/27/2014 16:22:26 MDT Print View

Living in the UK and having used one a lot I don't see an issue. Pitch the front low, and sleep in the back area right angles to the door. Way back and you won't notice any rain that would blow in.

But as DaveC said, and I did - sell it and get a Mid. Less hassle, more usable head room and that door stops all the hassle. I miss the TS for it's amazing wind resistance, but nothing else.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: 40°N,-105°W (Near enough)
Door on 04/27/2014 16:32:21 MDT Print View

Hi Gary,

I just saw the updates to this thread. Yes, it's the door from a cottage manufacturer now hunkered down in the lowlands of Scotland, facing a lot of criticism for non-fulfillment of orders in anything close to a reasonable timeframe.

I'll be happy to lend it to you so you can reverse engineer a MYOG version. Very simple to be honest. It's a trapezoid with four bungee tie-outs at the corners that hook into the mid-seam mitten hooks. It follows the angle of the seam down to the stakes at the foot of the entrance. I used it this winter in a swirling snowstorm and it kept 90% or more of the precipitation out of the shelter.

I'm en route to Orlando and then DC for work this week, but if you can wait till Thursday or Friday I'm sure we can find a place to meet up in town. In the meantime I'll see if I have any photos on the hard drive I have with me.

Edit: I found a couple of so-so photos on my phone. Here's one from the inside, which makes it look a bit more exposed than it really is:

TS Door

Edited by lotuseater on 04/27/2014 16:51:08 MDT.

Inaki Diaz de Etura
(inaki) - MLife

Locale: Iberia highlands
Re: "the lazy man pitch" on 05/16/2014 03:20:47 MDT Print View

Ivo (or anyone else actually),

I don't get the geometry of your pitch. Since the Trailstar is a flat pentagon, it cannot take a pyramid shape and have a straight, 5 sided, taut perimeter at the same time, hence the need for a "door". What am I missing?

Ivo Vanmontfort
(Ivo) - MLife
trailstar question on 05/18/2014 14:45:24 MDT Print View

Inaki,

I don't understand your question.
English is not your first language I think.
(for me the same)

Inaki Diaz de Etura
(inaki) - MLife

Locale: Iberia highlands
Re: trailstar question on 05/19/2014 16:31:21 MDT Print View

I've never been able to pitch the Trailstar closed down to the ground all around its perimeter. It seems not possible with the TS geometry. I'll need to practice more