Forum Index » GEAR » HELP with new trail shoe choice.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Bunta Fujiwara
(Quake_gl) - F - M

Locale: GR
HELP with new trail shoe choice. on 04/24/2014 15:08:50 MDT Print View

Hey guys,new member.Well i ll start with a concern i have been having lately.

I have TNF GTX boots that weight 1.35 kg( 47.6 Oz) for pair.

I am thinking of switching to trail runner or hiking shoes.
Problem is i want them for long term backpacking/wilderness trip 3-4 months.
I will have only one pair of shoes,and failure is not an option.
I am going for the not GTX version for the trails of course.
I will be carrying a lot of weight around 55 lbs max(i am trying to be light as much as possible but will have to carry 24 lbs food and batteries,water etc..)
My base is probably going to be around 26 lbs.

So i still need a shoe with some cushion.Weight is not much issue (coming from 47.6 oz).
So far i have these options:

Salomono XT wings3 -First option,very expensive will have to w8 for a deal.
Salomon X ultra-Less expensive,heavier, durability a little better?,less suitable for rocks and mountains
Inov8 Roclite 315-Reviews say super durable,concerned about drying performance a bit,almost as expensive as XT in my area.
Mizuno Wave Ascend 8- I have found a good deal on this,but i am unsure of durability on harsh rocks,and cushion for heavy loads.

Other options are harder to find,and have to order online,even from USA even(i am in Europe).

That said,none of them might be best choice.
And about the GTX issue,do you think i will have a problem in serious downpour with wet feet?Obviously i wont walk and pitch my tarp,but i will be boxed in for quite some time,in bad weather.
Maybe i should skip my waterprouf trousers too,if i go that route??

Sry for long post,i ll go walk in the rain now.:d

shane sibert
(grinder) - F

Locale: P.N.W
shoes on 04/24/2014 16:17:20 MDT Print View

Look into the La Sportiva Ultra Raptors, outstanding shoe. Nice cushioning and great traction. When it rains for a prolonged period, feet get wet no matter what shoe your wearing. But a non-waterproof trail shoe will dry faster and be lighter then it's GTX counterpart. Feet can be dried out at night in camp best to have a dry pair of socks to sleep in.

Edited by grinder on 04/24/2014 16:17:55 MDT.

Bunta Fujiwara
(Quake_gl) - F - M

HELP with new trail shoe choice on 04/24/2014 17:54:33 MDT Print View

Yes,i forgot to add the Ultra Raptors.Great shoe also,and almost at price of XT wings.Dont know which to pick.

Peter Bakwin
(pbakwin) - F
Ultra Raptor on 04/24/2014 19:16:06 MDT Print View

I love the Ultra Raptor & it is now my go-to shoe for backpacking, particularly because my trips usually involve some scrambling/rock hopping. But, for your purposes I'd be a little concerned about the durability. I more or less wore out a pair just on the Sierra High Route, which is 200 miles. I did a couple other things with them, so maybe they lasted 350 (rough) miles.

Bunta Fujiwara
(Quake_gl) - F - M

Ultra Raptors on 04/24/2014 20:04:05 MDT Print View

How worn out are they?
350 miles is unacceptable.This is an ultramarathon shoe.

I would want at least 2000 miles of them.

shane sibert
(grinder) - F

Locale: P.N.W
shoes on 04/24/2014 21:13:37 MDT Print View

For mega mile hikes, several pairs of trail shoes are normally required as most trail shoes will not last a full 2000 mile hike.

Peter Bakwin
(pbakwin) - F
Ultra Raptor on 04/24/2014 21:45:18 MDT Print View

Worn out. The outsole wore smooth on the forefoot and the midsole split. I agree that you aren't likely to find a trail running shoe that will reliably last 2000 miles.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: Tokyo, Japan
Re: HELP with new trail shoe choice. on 04/24/2014 23:42:31 MDT Print View

For the weight you are carrying, I would NOT wear a trail runner. Best to go with a mixed leather/synth mid boot and a Vibram sole if possible. You can find a non-Goretex model under 600g/boot depending on your size, UNLESS you need a stiffer sole for via ferrata, rock hopping endless scree, and a heel welt for crampons for snow/ice. Primary reason to get Goretex is if you will be doing much snow/ice trekking. Otherwise Goretex footwear is too hot to wear most days.

In your case I would also stick with one of the Euro brands such as Lowa, Scarpa, La Sportiva, Aku, Asolo, Garmont, Miendl, Hanwag, Salewa, and Zamberlan. While all of these Euro-brands make their flagship footwear in Italy/Germany or Czech/Romania, some are made in China. Stick with Euro-made models as they will be of superior quality and can usually be resoled thus more likely to last you the 2000 miles you need.

Your footwear is THE MOST IMPORTANT piece of hiking kit you will buy. You don't want to cut corners here. Hard to recommend models as makers are changing twice a year with the seasons. It may be footwear, but it is still fashion!

Edited by rmjapan on 04/24/2014 23:45:09 MDT.

Derek M.
(dmusashe) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: HELP with new trail shoe choice. on 04/25/2014 01:03:47 MDT Print View

My advice would be to cut your base weight by 10lbs, then just wear whatever running shoes you already own that are comfortable for you (assuming you have a pair, which most people around here do).

If not, go to the nearest running shoe store and get a pair that fits you well. Avoid goretex shoes like the plague. You'll want something fairly breathable, and goretex shoes are not that. They also become bathtubs once wet, and take far, far longer to dry than unlined shoes. Trust me on this one. There is nothing wrong with your feet getting wet, they can take it. Breathable running shoes can go from totally soaked (as in, submerged in a river) to almost totally dry in about 4 hours of dry hiking. It's really no big deal.

There are many great trail running shoes out there, but buying trail running specific shoes is not necessary at all. Fit and breathability, and adequate underfoot protection will be the most important attributes. Certainly don't go with a minimalist shoe, you'll need more cushioning than that.

Edited by dmusashe on 04/25/2014 01:10:58 MDT.

Bunta Fujiwara
(Quake_gl) - F - M

HELP with new trail shoe choice on 04/25/2014 08:19:01 MDT Print View

Thx Rick and Derek.
Yeah i wont go GTX,it seems.
I dont want a boot,too heavy and hot.

So low trail running/hiking shoe it is.I am just dissapointed with their durability.

Are you saying someone that does 30 miles a day needs to change shoes every 15 days?
Are you saying no-shopping AT-thru hikes have to carry 5 pair of shoes??
This cant be right.

So only boots last at least 1500 miles?

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: HELP with new trail shoe choice on 04/25/2014 08:43:11 MDT Print View

You don't carry 5 pairs of shoes ,you have them mailed to you or buy them as you need them while on the trail. Where are you going to be hiking?

Edited by annapurna on 04/25/2014 08:46:45 MDT.

David Ayers
(djayers) - F
Re: HELP with new trail shoe choice. on 04/25/2014 11:43:37 MDT Print View

I've been wearing Salomon 3D Ultra 2's for ~3 years now. (Those of us with wide feet don't get to be choosy!) I've carried as much as 55 lbs in them. Most of the shoe is still going strong at 500 miles. But the sole is about halfway smooth at that point and they've lost a lot of grip so I swap them out. With a heavy pack I'd like to have a bit more cushioning than they provide. And of course they are not light (30oz/.85Kg per pair for size 11.5 wide).

AT Hiker
(Nooga) - F

Locale: East TN
Trail Runner Durability on 04/25/2014 13:17:57 MDT Print View

I went through 4 pair of trail runners on the AT and probably should have used 5 pair. Keep in mind that even if the shoe still has tread, the cushioning may have broken down.

Pete Staehling
(staehpj1) - F
No Resupply? on 04/25/2014 13:32:55 MDT Print View

Will you be hiking somewhere that you can't have shoes mailed to you via general delivery?

Bunta Fujiwara
(Quake_gl) - F - M

Re: Re: HELP with new trail shoe choice on 04/25/2014 14:44:17 MDT Print View

@Link
I am in Greece,and i will probably go north.

Edited by Quake_gl on 04/25/2014 14:44:56 MDT.

David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Locale: North Idaho
Re: Re: Re: HELP with new trail shoe choice on 04/25/2014 15:10:10 MDT Print View

>"i am trying to be light as much as possible..."

>"My base is probably going to be around 26 lbs."

For any normal sort of wilderness backpacking, these two statements cannot simultaneously be true.

Peter Bakwin
(pbakwin) - F
Cascadia on 04/25/2014 15:33:19 MDT Print View

Brooks Cascadia used to be an exceptionally durable & all around great trail shoe. I haven't tried them since about version 5, and they're up to 9 now. I did see a ranger with them on deep in the backcountry in the Grand Canyon last week, so that's a bit of an endorsement.

Bunta Fujiwara
(Quake_gl) - F - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: HELP with new trail shoe choice on 04/25/2014 15:46:37 MDT Print View

">"i am trying to be light as much as possible..."

>"My base is probably going to be around 26 lbs."

For any normal sort of wilderness backpacking, these two statements cannot simultaneously be true."

Yes,i am trying hard to get sub 20 lbs baseweight.I will post a list later.

Will take a look into Cascadia.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: HELP with new trail shoe choice. on 04/25/2014 15:57:02 MDT Print View

Sorry to say, but no running shoe will last you 2000 miles. That's just how it is these days. Most people using running shoes are not hikers, they are city people who like to change their style often.

"And about the GTX issue,do you think i will have a problem in serious downpour with wet feet?Obviously i wont walk and pitch my tarp,but i will be boxed in for quite some time,in bad weather.
Maybe i should skip my waterprouf trousers too,if i go that route??"

It's not an issue, I have had wet feet for long periods of time and it's fine. For days and days you could get blisters, but sometimes the lack of breathability in goretex shoes is worse for your feet than walking through puddles and streams. The important thing is to change into dry warm socks every night. Most people on here don't carry waterproof pants and just let their legs get wet, also not an issue unless it's cold rain. Often I use shorts when hiking in the rain. Make sure to have some dry long underwear for when you set up camp.

Edited by justin_baker on 04/25/2014 16:05:51 MDT.

Bunta Fujiwara
(Quake_gl) - F - M

My list on 04/25/2014 16:07:11 MDT Print View

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=90368

Just made a list thread.

http://lighterpack.com/r/892443