Poncho-Tarp
Display Avatars Sort By:
nathan matthews
(nathanm) - F

Locale: Bay Area
Poncho-Tarp on 07/29/2005 11:37:31 MDT Print View

Looking for the next cheap way to lighten my load, I'm thinking I'll try sewing a poncho tarp. Does anybody have advice on this? Looking at the dimensions of other tarps (at around 5' x 8'), it seems like I could use a single piece of silnylon and only have to sew the edges, guyouts and hood.

Anyone who has made and used a poncho-tarp before, do you have advice?

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
poncho/tarp on 07/29/2005 12:19:16 MDT Print View

If you look on page 3 (about half way down) of my "Super Ultra Light - Make Your Own for an AT Thru-Hike" thread on this Make Your Own Gear Forum you can see the Poncho/Tarp I made out of Cuben fibric. I made it as wide as the material comes (48") by 90" long.

For a day or two SUL hike it should be OK.

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Bill's Tarp/Poncho is extremely nice looking on 07/29/2005 12:47:30 MDT Print View

Just an FYI

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
Poncho/tarp on 07/29/2005 13:07:42 MDT Print View

Thanks Joshua, that is a very nice compliment.

nathan matthews
(nathanm) - F

Locale: Bay Area
bill's tarp pattern on 07/29/2005 15:43:40 MDT Print View

thanks for the pointer--i usually skip loading images, being on a slow modem, so i hadn't noticed it.

bill, your tarp looks great. i'm thinking of using 1.3oz silnylon to have something a _little_ more durable (i hike on trail, but they're often really overgrown trails), so i was wondering whether you think the corner/guy-out pattern you used would still be necessary or be overkill. also, can you share the pattern you used for the hood?