Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Show off your DIY tarp + bug net shelters!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Derek M.
(dmusashe) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Show off your DIY tarp + bug net shelters! on 04/23/2014 00:59:53 MDT Print View

I'm just wondering what kind of solutions you DIY guys and gals have come up with for a lightweight tarp + separate bug net shelter. I'm most interested in projects where the shelter is built for two people and the bug net is fully enclosed with a bathtub floor, but of course I'd love to see your one person shelters too. I'm sure many of the same concepts apply to both.

Lot of pics would be much appreciated. I'm particularly interested in the connection between the tarp and bug net when they are used together. I'd love to see how you've designed it and hear what works and what doesn't.

Thanks!

Edited by dmusashe on 04/23/2014 01:02:01 MDT.

Will Elliott
(elliott.will) - F

Locale: Juneau, AK
` on 05/24/2014 01:03:54 MDT Print View

I'd love to see some, too. I've tried just a headnet, but I can't sleep comfortably in it.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Show off your DIY tarp + bug net shelters! on 05/28/2014 00:58:32 MDT Print View

Not exactly what you were asking for, but here's my DIY Argon sil camo hex tarp and DIY gathered end hammock. During bug season, a headnet is all I use with it as an under quilt and top quilt are too hard to bite through. 12 ounces for the tarp, 7.5 ounces for the hammock, 2.5 lb. for an enLIGHTened Equipment top and bottom quilt set and less than .25 ounce for the bug headnet....total weight=4.3 pounds. Keep in mind this is the weight of my shelter AND sleep system. Not too bad for so much three season comfort, not to mention the huge protected space it provides.

t

Edited by bigfoot2 on 05/28/2014 01:03:59 MDT.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Show off your DIY tarp + bug net shelters! on 05/28/2014 06:56:31 MDT Print View

Fully enclosed hammock bug net

Matt and I are both hangers. ;-)

FWIW the material in this net is 100 percent polyester "sheers" from Walmart. I used two @$5.00 packages ofthe sheers to build my bug net. Much cheaper than no-see-um, off the shelf and no waiting on shipping. The mesh is finer, (smaller holes) than no-see-um also.

Tip: Use a new sharp and small size needle on your machine with this material.

Party On,

Newton ;-)