I have a couple of free days next week and was thinking about doing the Presidential Traverse then. So far, my plan is as follows:
- Start mid morning in the North off Snyder Brook
- Hit Madison, Adams, Jefferson, Clay, and wind up at Washington to watch sunset.
- Head back north by Great Gulf Trail into the Great Gulf Wilderness, to about Sphinx Trail to camp for the night.
- Up in the morning to complete the rest of the hike.
Some questions for anyone who's familiar with the area:
1) Are there any good known camping spots in the Great Gulf Wilderness, or potentially other spots near Mt. Washington? I've just heard that there "are spots" but the AMC maps don't show any, and I've read that a few tent sites have been shut down as of late.
2) What are the current regulations for camping in the White Mountains? I've heard 200ft from trial and certain areas off limits, but can't seem to find anything official.