Forum Index » GEAR » The lost "jet engine" ground pad inflator?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Deflation and Moisture on 05/30/2014 10:52:26 MDT Print View

An older prolite has foam in it, and is an entirely different animal from the modern iteration of the NeoAir. From Thermarest's Website:

"Will moisture build-up and ruin my mattress if I blow into it?

No. We have spent decades refining our coatings and fabrics to withstand such things and this assurance of lasting quality separates Therm-a-Rest mattresses from every other competitor. However, minimizing moisture is always a good idea. Always allow self-inflating mattresses to inflate on their own as much as possible, then just top them off with a few breaths at the end for added firmness. We also recommend storing your mattress unrolled and with the valve open. This keeps the foam core at maximum loft and allows any moisture build-up to evaporate slowly."

This says two things to me.

1. Newer NeoAir pads are designed to manage the moisture from your breath.

2. If you get a mildewy mattress, Thermarest should replace it.

As for easy deflation, open the valve before you get up. In one or two minutes, your bodyweight pushes all the air out.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Instaflator? You mean, your mouth? on 05/30/2014 11:18:13 MDT Print View

Hauling an electric pad inflator is the antithesis of UL to me, not to mention the sustainability and ecological issues. If you need such stuff, it is time to take a closer look at your sleep system. The pillow or pack liner options seem better to me--- if you are using them anyway.

All this fuss makes me like my old CCF pad even more: low cost, low weight, can't leak and great for rest stops too. I've taken a nap on a rocky river bank that would have shredded a Neo.

To paraphrase the Governerator: yoo cannot be zee girlie man undt climb zee mountains!

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Instaflator? You mean, your mouth? on 05/30/2014 13:14:14 MDT Print View

But what if you are a lazy bastard and that's why you carry the pump?

You can walk without poles

You can carry your gear in your arms, who need a pack?

I have to blow up a large and regular neoair. I'm lazy. I want a pump. UL ethos? Meh. I'm on vacation.

Plus I don't blow, I suck. Wait... They are synonyms

I'm lost...

Ok consider the pump my spare battery carrier and to make it multi- use I use it to inflate my pad, and to blow into my wife's ear when we are under the quilt.

BAM! UL ethos up yer valve stem!

Blow it out your instaflator. :)

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
ROTFLMAO!!! on 05/30/2014 13:22:03 MDT Print View

Thanks for that! :^)

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Instaflator? You mean, your mouth? on 05/30/2014 13:35:10 MDT Print View

"But what if you are a lazy bastard and that's why you carry the pump? ... BAM! UL ethos up yer valve stem!"

+1! I ..... uhhhhhh, think, anyway.....

Edited to add: Not to mention - carry some of those little umbrella thingies, put it in your filtered water with a bit of crystal light, lean back with your sunglasses on and your eyes closed, take your shoes and socks off, turn the inflator on and toward you, and BAM! You're in Cabo!

Edited by idester on 05/30/2014 13:51:30 MDT.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Re: Re: Instaflator? You mean, your mouth? on 05/30/2014 13:56:02 MDT Print View

"turn the inflator on and toward you, and BAM! You're in Cabo!"

Portable sea breeze, baby!

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
The lost "jet engine" ground pad inflator? on 05/30/2014 16:43:11 MDT Print View

Deflator !!!
Use a battery operated vacuum cleaner with a nozzle adaptor.
You will find a purpose made type at the largest REI outlets.

Some of the guys that don't grasp the idea of unnecessary complicated,like me , just undo the nozzle whilst on top of the mat.
I do that mostly so that I don't turn around and fall asleep again.