Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Bivy-To zip or not to zip
Display Avatars Sort By:
Christopher Chupka
(FatTexan) - M

Locale: NTX
Bivy-To zip or not to zip on 08/09/2007 20:16:35 MDT Print View

Looking at bivy sacks with zippers or without. As a first time bivy owner will I need a zip? I am a quilt convert and do not need a side zip to open to access my quilt. I have been eyeballing the Vapr Bivy.

Comments or suggestions?

Thanks

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
I prefer a zipper, but... on 08/09/2007 20:27:51 MDT Print View

Christopher,

It's just easier to adjust my quilt (or bag) to get comfortable w/a zipper. However, It's not so much of an issue if you use a quilt w/a footbox since you can slide into your quilt & then wiggle into the zipperless bivy. But you will still run into a little more "tangling" of the quilt w/o a zipper.

Of course, you save a little weight w/o a zipper.

Todd

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Bivy-To zip or not to zip on 08/13/2007 10:06:46 MDT Print View

>>>> As a first time bivy owner will I need a zip? I am a quilt convert and do not need a side zip to open to access my quilt.

Howdy FatTexan

Just got the Vapr Bivy w/o zip. I have the JRB NS quilt. Tried it indoors. Was easy to position the quilt by pushing it down into the bivy with my feet.

After getting everything comfy and zipping the net, I realized that it took a bit of effort to learn how to unzip the net and gain my escape. That plus it was getting toasty in there. My wife enjoyed observing the event. Because she was humored by it, she missed the pinatas opportunity : )

Christopher Chupka
(FatTexan) - M

Locale: NTX
Thanks on 08/14/2007 10:57:39 MDT Print View

Thanks Todd and George thats the kind if info I was looking for.

Chris