Ambien CR and High Altitude
Display Avatars Sort By:
Gordon Smith
(swearingen) - MLife

Locale: Portland, Oregon
Ambien CR and High Altitude on 08/09/2007 16:34:00 MDT Print View

Hello,
I'm headed to the Wind River mtns in Wyoming soon for a six day backpack trip. We'll be camped each night at 9500 to 10,500 feet give or take. I always have trouble sleeping on back country trips so I had planned on taking an Ambien CR each night. Then I read this page on altitude illness:
http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/safety/altitude.shtml
It mentions that sleep aides decrease the respiratory drive during sleep, which can worsen the symptoms of altitude illness.
I'm not sure this applies to the newer generation sleep aides like Ambien though. Has anyone had experience with Ambien at higher altitudes? I used Lunesta last year in the Wallowas without any problems, but the elevations were more like 7500 feet.
Thanks for your help!
Gordon,
Portland, Oregon

Jesse Glover
(hellbillylarry) - F

Locale: southern appalachians
Ambien CR and High Altitude on 08/10/2007 13:11:24 MDT Print View

Pot is safer and cheaper.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Ambien CR and High Altitude on 08/10/2007 13:59:34 MDT Print View

Regular Ambien is said to not depress respiration at altitude..not sure about Ambien CR...probably doesn't either...ask yo doc.

Robert Mohid
(mohid) - F
Why smoke ? on 08/10/2007 21:17:29 MDT Print View

Altitude greatly amplifies the damage caused to your, already oxygen deprived, brain cells from any kind of smoking.

A big reason Reinhold Messner sounds like Ali is because his sherpa partners got him hooked on smoking hash at altitude.

Jesse Glover
(hellbillylarry) - F

Locale: southern appalachians
Re: Why smoke ? on 08/11/2007 08:03:49 MDT Print View

I didn't say smoke it you can eat it. But I was just trying to be funny anyway.

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
ambien cr on 08/11/2007 16:15:48 MDT Print View

You never want to scratch or break the coating of ambien cr, a timed release drug.
It causes the pupil dilation stay open or slow way down, not a handy prospect up high.
This happened to a couple of climbers on different trips.
About all you can do is sit down and wait it out.
Other then that go for it.